Autopsy Freo Belt North But Didn’t Score 100, Time to Rebuild - Rd 6, 2021

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on that, I’d be dropping Lobb for Meek and adding Sturt to the forward line to stretch the Eagles defence a bit more. Walters to make way imo, either needs a rest or a wake up.

Solid game though, was a lot to like about some of the passages. North witches hats after their little fight backs failed to make a dent.
The piling on Walters is starting to really get to me. Yes he is playing for too many free kicks but there was a lot to like about his game after half time I thought. Take another look and you will see he stuck several big tackles and delivered the ball into the 50 quickly to dangerous spots the led to goals. He is also a reliable set shot at goal unlike a few others. The idea his game deserved being dropped is just laughable.

Same for Lobb really. He is a far better marking target than Meek albeit that Meek is a far better ruckman.
Sturt in is a good plan though and it’s either for Treacy of maybe Freddie.

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just watched the presser, JL sounds like we lost the game by 100 points.

I went tandem skydiving once , it didn't feel that scary when I was doing it but when we got to the ground I could barely speak or smile, was from the addrenalin a sort comedown effect I think.

JL in a lot of his interviews reminds me of that, seems drained from all the emotion of watching the game.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
You mean my buddy Hughes, who is as tough and reliable a defender as they come, who makes occasional mistakes, but who beats his man almost every single week. Yeah, people need to see what he brings to the team, and not the (okay perhaps more than the) occasional clanger. His name would be among the first on the board each week and those saying he should be an out every week are living in Lala Land. He’s not going anywhere.
Thanks esti for seeing beyond his escaped goat status and joining me in saying my buddy should be highly rated by everyone. If you don’t rate him, quite simply, you’re wrong. ☺
My man. Hughes buddy here too.

He will go in for any ground ball 100% no hesitation. The knock on his clangers is that he’s overthinking and trying to think one or two steps ahead. He would be a good winger with his underrated pace and kicking. His kicking is actually decent considering those that knock him.
That lace out pass to Darcy(?) I think it was.
He’s doing a better job across halfback then Wilson at times.

To those people suggesting Brayshaw broke the tag -

What information are you using to determine this? His tagger was taken off him for the second half (moved to Mundy as he was more damaging). I'd like to understand what happened in the first half to suggest he'd broken it

To me it feels like an optimistic reading of what happened - but I'm also probably not seeing what others did

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

What information are you using to determine this? His tagger was taken off him for the second half (moved to Mundy as he was more damaging). I'd like to understand what happened in the first half to suggest he'd broken it

To me it feels like an optimistic reading of what happened - but I'm also probably not seeing what others did
Why does a coach move a tagger off someone (ie break it)? When you get tagged, being able to still win the ball and make the tagger ineffective isn't the only way to break it - and it is often unrealistic for a young player. Often it is far more effective to make your other mids dominate by exploiting that they are committed to tagging you. Brayshaw is embracing the tag better each week. If you can be tagged (for even part of the game) and still rack up 30d+ you're going pretty well as a 21yo.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
The piling on Walters is starting to really get to me. Yes he is playing for too many free kicks but there was a lot to like about his game after half time I thought. Take another look and you will see he stuck several big tackles and delivered the ball into the 50 quickly to dangerous spots the led to goals. He is also a reliable set shot at goal unlike a few others. The idea his game deserved being dropped is just laughable.

Same for Lobb really. He is a far better marking target than Meek albeit that Meek is a far better ruckman.
Sturt in is a good plan though and it’s either for Treacy of maybe Freddie.
It’s not a pile on to recognise that he’s clearly playing sore and needs a rest.

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walters need to be dropped for a few weeks. His body language is horrible, tackles broken easily, flopping, it’s an embarrassment and not what we should stand for as a club
Nope, that's a bad take. As others have pointed out he:

A) Actually tackled well and to good effect, especially for his size, and the fact it's never been his forte really. Got a HTB and generally pressured well.
B) Nailed his set shot.
C) Delivered beautifully inside 50, and around the ground.
D) Knew when to go, when to hold and when to fold - younger players would be learning a lot from him in this respect.
E) Didn't appear to be playing so much for frees yesterday - I recall a post on here referring to his size and weight, and that it's not surprising he ends up on the floor. Don't get me wrong, he has definitely played for frees too much over the years but I think it may look worse than it is due to his size (take Darling for example, he gets shot five times a game, and is twice the size of Walters)

Is he in career form? No. But he's building after a limited pre-season, is easily in our best 10 players, and frankly deserves backing in given he's improving and the absurd amount of runs he has on the board.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

The very best way to beat a tag is to have other players dominating and needing the attention.

The very best way to beat a tag is to have other players dominating and needing the attention.

Yeah - my query on the 'Brayshaw broke a tag' positives is that *he* didnt. The tag was moved because Mundy was destroying North. I agree that the best way for the team to beat a tag is to have others dominate, causing a strategic shift

Why does a coach move a tagger off someone (ie break it)? When you get tagged, being able to still win the ball and make the tagger ineffective isn't the only way to break it - and it is often unrealistic for a young player. Often it is far more effective to make your other mids dominate by exploiting that they are committed to tagging you. Brayshaw is embracing the tag better each week. If you can be tagged (for even part of the game) and still rack up 30d+ you're going pretty well as a 21yo.

Same as above, bolded is what I find interesting. Brayshaw can't make anyone dominate, those players are the ones with agency to impact what happens to his tag. it's a team response that helped him, not anything he did himself

Oct 5, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
In terms of the financial impact on the club, what’s the outcome - is it just too bad so sad? It seems ridiculous that we’ve lost a significant chunk of revenue for the year from a snap government decision and have zero recourse or way to claw it back. Aware that this applies to a lot of businesses too btw.

GoFreo4eva

Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah - my query on the 'Brayshaw broke a tag' positives is that *he* didnt. The tag was moved because Mundy was destroying North. I agree that the best way for the team to beat a tag is to have others dominate, causing a strategic shift

Same as above, bolded is what I find interesting. Brayshaw can't make anyone dominate, those players are the ones with agency to impact what happens to his tag. it's a team response that helped him, not anything he did himself
Fair enought if that is what you meant but your post didn’t really imply that.

GoFreo4eva

Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think he had 9 possessions in Q 1 so you’d heave you question the effectiveness of the tag up to that point anyway.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
But this isn't true. Brayshaw talked about it just the other day in the media... about sacrificing his game when tagged so others had extra space to work in. It's like Fyfe thanking Conca and Tucker in his Brownlow speech - they sacrificed their games so he could dominate. What I liked about Brayshaw's game is that he balanced his game well - he's a smart footballer.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
All I can say is that I picked a good year to have Schultz as my buddy. I reckon he'll get 30+ goals this year the way he's going. He's a better small forward than Henry and Crowden and I reckon he edges out Switkowski too, he's a hard nut, always gives 100% and he's a good contested mark for a small dude.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
All I can say is that I picked a good year to have Schultz as my buddy. I reckon he'll get 30+ goals this year the way he's going. He's a better small forward than Henry and Crowden and I reckon he edges out Switkowski too, he's a hard nut, always gives 100% and he's a good contested mark for a small dude.
He’s great to watch. A strutting, tackling, colliding tonka truck.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was one kick on the run last night where his kicking action completely abandoned him.
I think hes developed a technical issue. His ball drop when kicking on the run: his hand seems to have come down closer to the middle of the ball, which I don't remember as being his style. Often now also the ball drop is slipping outside the centreline of his leg. He's like a bowler whose action is gone.

I think he had 9 possessions in Q 1 so you’d heave you question the effectiveness of the tag up to that point anyway.

Yeah that's fair

But this isn't true. Brayshaw talked about it just the other day in the media... about sacrificing his game when tagged so others had extra space to work in. It's like Fyfe thanking Conca and Tucker in his Brownlow speech - they sacrificed their games so he could dominate. What I liked about Brayshaw's game is that he balanced his game well - he's a smart footballer.

Depends on perspective, and it's probably semantics at this point anyway. Brayshaw can sacrifice his game to give others space, but another player dominating is for them to achieve, not something he can make happen. All he can do is minimise the impact to the team. I appreciate your point though, and agree Brayshaw is smart

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love the Sarge! He's the kind of cult player you love to have at your club. You look at him and he shouldn't work, but through sheer grit and determination he gets every ounce of talent, ability and then some, from his nuggety form.

Great pressure forward, slick hands, field kicking and decision making improved out of sight this year, and most importantly, sticks the sherrin between the big sticks.

Someone else mentioned AA for him, he won't get it, but only because he plays for us.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Really want to see more of Switta Schulz. They can be a small combo. We miss Switta’s forward pressure at times.

Back