Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i suppose right now it seems apparently but for much of the few years before 2020, Mackay seems to be the most useless. Something went right under Shaw.

I believe it was Gavin Brown that got hm there, more so than Shaw.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It'd be great if Ben did want to sign now, but his manager would be outright negligent if he wasn't telling him to hold off and just let his footy do more talking.

Isn’t that what Ben Brown’s manager said too?

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I believe it was Gavin Brown that got hm there, more so than Shaw.

Ah yes I trust your knowledge in that regards, but is it correct to say Mackay started to flourish under Shaw?

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Corr on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

He has the hands, reads the ball well, is quick, good below his knees, and could be just what we need up forward.

Also would mean finally not having to watch Larkey as our only KPF every week.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Corr on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

He has the hands, reads the ball well, is quick, good below his knees, and could be just what we need up forward.

Him.or Taz - I'm happy with either going forward.

I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Correct on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

Comben would likely be back and we would have had the mid season draft by then, assuming we take edwards or at least one kpf. Don’t want to mess with McKay at all.

Waynesworld

May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Comben would likely be back and we would have had the mid season draft by then, assuming we take edwards or at least one kpf. Don’t want to mess with McKay at all.
I wouldn’t be holding my breath on Comben, and you really think we will find a kpf in the mid season draft of Ben’s quality?

We are potentially stacked for defenders, however up forward the cupboard is very bare,

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I wouldn’t be holding my breath on Comben, and you really think we will find a kpf in the mid season draft of Ben’s quality?

We are potentially stacked for defenders, however up forward the cupboard is very bare,

You reckon Ben could cash in on kicks that miss him by 20 feet?

Then send Taz there. McKay has settled down back.
At the end of the day, development needs to be prioritised and McKay is an essential defensive cog for the future.

Taz has been tried down there before, it didn’t work.
Still better than Tom, J Walker or Xerri at this stage. Ben is a long-term defensive prospect and his development shouldn’t be messed with for an extra win or two.

Waynesworld

May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Still better than Tom, J Walker or Xerri at this stage. Ben is a long-term defensive prospect and his development shouldn’t be messed with for an extra win or two.
I’m not talking short term with Ben, I reckon he could become a long term fwd prospect.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Did we shift Taz because it wasn't working or when he came back from injury the forward line was well stocked and working? My memory of when guys like Balck, Petrie, Waite and then BBB all came in and out is a bit hazy.

He's been a dedicated defender from 2015 onwards, when Petrie, Waite and Brown were all playing forward.

Back