Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Legit does not do enough, at all.

Big guy, big cash, can't play him in the ruck, gets some cheap goals over the top. Had such a lackluster start to this season and doesn't really compete well enough. Had some terrible moments last night which was the cream on the cake.

Is playing 'angry' his only way to motivate himself to play well?

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Pretty hard to smash into a pack when it's getting kicked on his head deep forward every time.
Is the ball being kicked on his head every time though? I don't think so.

Maybe he should be varying the type of option he's providing if that is the case. If he's standing there waving the ball in 'every time' then players will put it on his head 'every time'.

Just an excuse IMO. Would you say Jack has the same problems, or....?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Needs to get on his bike and get up the ground. We keep putting the ball on his head. Is he knee farked? Get aggressive dude play with some intent!
This x1000. How about getting on the bike and some repeat leads? The guy just sits back and wants it popped up to him.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
We could trade to Collingwood for their three best draft picks in this year's and next year's drsft.... But I don't think pick 94, 105 and 123 are going to net us much
When he is the target coming out of the back half attacks the contest and clunks them
Not sure why he doesn’t hit up coming out of the square just gets into a wrestle and is never going to get anything from the umpires

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
When he is the target coming out of the back half attacks the contest and clunks them
Not sure why he doesn’t hit up coming out of the square just gets into a wrestle and is never going to get anything from the umpires
definitely some player hunger and form issues in the team at the moment, but honestly I don't think the ball movement and coaching directives are going that flash at the moment. We seem to be non-committal going forward. to quick to skirt round the outside, and leaving players all in defensive positions. To be fair we played a bit like that previously in our flag years, especially when we had players like Prestia out. We we take risks and back ourselves and each other is when we thrive and we aint doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
its probably both our delivery inside and his form tbh.

if we would kick inside 50 with any sort of precision (instead of banging it in long randomly to 1 on 3 contests) then it might help him grab some marks and get some confidence up.

at the same time, if he would make good leads and show an ability to catch the thing, maybe we wouldnt be panicked into just kicking long.

for mine he's doing well at ground level, chasing and handing off goals so hes competing enough when the ball is loose in his area. but hes playing from behind far too much when the ball is coming in. Its like he wants to take the over the top contested chest mark every time.

not sure we can afford to drop him though, hes not being outmarked that often at least. but he needs more class at his feet for sure, and another legit target alongside him and jack.

loser 81 2 16

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe 2 premierships were enough for him?
That would be no surprise for anyone who started out with 8 years at gold coast.

Or maybe he made that adjustment to his aggression...and there was definitely an adjustment...and now he can't un-adjust...and maybe he doesn't really want to.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I bumped this thread a couple of weeks ago saying his form has been poor, I'm still concerned.

Geeze we are quick to write blokes off
Footy players cop form slumps all the time

Even last year people were calling for Jack to hang up the boots

Just look at Tex Walker he was cooked last season, papers were all but stamped and on the trade table
Now he is looking like the best key position forward in the comp

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
For all we know he's injured too. Dimma let it slip during the press conference that Dusty is carrying a foot injury.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
key forward combinationgoalsbehindsgoal assistsmarksdisposalstackles
Lynch/Riewoldt5308215
McKay/Casboult3319181
Lynch/Riewoldt62211181
O’Brien/Koschitzke21112181
Lynch/Riewoldt44113224
Reid/Mcdonald2338203
Lynch/Riewoldt4336180
Dixon/Georgiades13110233
Lynch/Riewoldt84312263
King/Membrey1319190
Lynch/Riewoldt2225218
McDonald/Fritsch5129274
Overall comparison across season29 v 14
Richmond
18 v 14 Richmond11 v 9 Richmond55 v 57 Richmond126 v 125 Richmond21 v 12 Richmond

Our pair were outpointed by the opposition key forwards in this match v Melbourne. If you included Jackson rather than Fritsch the picture would have been even worse overall, but I omitted Jackson on the basis he spent plenty of time in the ruck. From what I watched of the match Tomlinson, May and Lever who were our key forwards’ direct opponents thwarted a lot of our entries. Our boys seemed to be giving their all as always but it might be time to bring in a 3rd tall to take some pressure off Lynch and Riewoldt.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The guys a monster, but playing like a 180cm forward who can’t run. hardwi has to bring out the video highlites again. So lynch gets reminded to attack the ball at 45 and use his weight in the marking contest. Instead of this angry giant rubbish.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Very tough school in here - service is absolutely atrocious at the moment - usually competing in packing with Jack and 3-4 defenders

while neither is getting out marked, our smalls aren’t being effective in winning it at ground level

Both Jack and Tom get nothing from the umps in this scenario too

Tomlinson played very well on riewoldt which left lever to intercept all night, needed a 3rd tall to make them all accountable

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
key forward combinationgoalsbehindsgoal assistsmarksdisposalstackles
Lynch/Riewoldt5308215
McKay/Casboult3319181
Lynch/Riewoldt62211181
O’Brien/Koschitzke21112181
Lynch/Riewoldt44113224
Reid/Mcdonald2338203
Lynch/Riewoldt4336180
Dixon/Georgiades13110233
Lynch/Riewoldt84312263
King/Membrey1319190
Lynch/Riewoldt2225218
McDonald/Fritsch5129274
Overall comparison across season29 v 14
Richmond
18 v 14 Richmond11 v 9 Richmond55 v 57 Richmond126 v 125 Richmond21 v 12 Richmond

Our pair were outpointed by the opposition key forwards in this match v Melbourne. If you included Jackson rather than Fritsch the picture would have been even worse overall, but I omitted Jackson on the basis he spent plenty of time in the ruck. From what I watched of the match Tomlinson, May and Lever who were our key forwards’ direct opponents thwarted a lot of our entries. Our boys seemed to be giving their all as always but it might be time to bring in a 3rd tall to take some pressure off Lynch and Riewoldt.
hardly an intimidating bunch of forwards you're comparing them to, McKay the only decent one other than dixons first half of last year.

Back