Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
If Wingard's form is a boiling pot of water then it's currently at the point where you forgot you even had water boiling and there's bubbles blowing off the lid and there's foam making the stove flame sizzle.

He's right there ready to explode yet I still don't think we've found the best way to utilise him.

I think it could just be the smallest tweak to his role in the greater Hawthorn game plan and he could shoot straight passed O'Meara and Jiath in terms of performance and excitement.

I have no idea what it is but almost every time he gets the ball it feels like something amazing could happen but he runs into a road block. Remove that and who knows...
Wingard is struggling to teach and play.
When he teaches, he looks lost for his own game
When he plays his own game, he looks like he doesn't care about the team

If Wingard's form is a boiling pot of water then it's currently at the point where you forgot you even had water boiling and there's bubbles blowing off the lid and there's foam making the stove flame sizzle.

He's right there ready to explode yet I still don't think we've found the best way to utilise him.

I think it could just be the smallest tweak to his role in the greater Hawthorn game plan and he could shoot straight passed O'Meara and Jiath in terms of performance and excitement.

I have no idea what it is but almost every time he gets the ball it feels like something amazing could happen but he runs into a road block. Remove that and who knows...

Play him in the midfield more. I think he spends too much time in the forward line where he finds it difficult to impact the game. I would like to see him 70% midfield, 25% forward and 5% resting in the bench. He offers something different to that midfield mix that we need.

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think he just isn't receiving enough uncontested ball. He getting it himself 10 times a game. I wonder if starting defensive side of stoppages would help.

TOB being moved back did just as much for the forwards as it did the defense. It allowed Kossie and Lewis to run and jump at the ball and not have TOB coming through and crashing into them achieving nothing. As Hawk Dork made mention, in the backline he's not having players intentionally jumping into him taking him out of the contest along with his teammates. Do that when he's in defense and they risk taking their own forwards out too.

Good to see us try and run the ball more, but the difference between us and them is we run it up the wing whereas they run it up the middle. It's why they had 16.0 at one point because most of their shots were from virtually directly in front. Taking the quick and direct route. Crows midfield today was trash and they had us on the ropes in the 2nd by doing that.
The problem we face bringing the ball up via the wing is we often run into the dead end and go the long bomb to the top of the square or the forwards are pretty much forced to lead to the dead pockets. The few times we did use the middle, the forwards had ample space to lead into and we kicked it there.
Fortunately they ran out of legs in the last and our more experienced mids held their nerve better late in the game.

Good win for morale as losing to a side who fielded a near state league level side with an injured player as their sub would have been embarrassing. Take whatever we can this year.

Play him in the midfield more. I think he spends too much time in the forward line where he finds it difficult to impact the game. I would like to see him 70% midfield, 25% forward and 5% resting in the bench. He offers something different to that midfield mix that we need.
I reckon you're right. I think he is still a huge offensive threat from the midfield. And I mean that from the perspective that he could score 2-3 goals as a midfielder. At the moment he seems to be more ball winning than outlet option. It's in the latter that he might find more impact, but he's shown to be so good at the former that it might delay the move.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice to get a win after a series of decent efforts but no bikkies. Adelaide were missing some decent players but so were we. Both teams look like they have a chance of a better than bottom four finish but finals could be s stretch.

Kosi clearly has what it takes. Reads the play well and also reads the flight of the ball. Decent hands as well and a nice set shot. Lewis is still a work in progress. He probably did enough to hold his place (even with Jeka breathing down his neck) but he needs to put a full game together rather than doing a few nice things,

You have to love TOB. He really is versatile and managed to hold his marks today. Will probably never live up to his potential but he makes a genuine contribution at both ends.

Cousins showed why Howe is still getting games. Phillips showed why Collingwood didn't fight to keep him.

Moore and Hanrahan were serviceable without setting the world on fire but they are both playing with plenty of intensity so I would be inclined to stick with them.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have we ever had a more dynamic backline duo than CJ & Impey?

So good to watch.
There’s a bit of Benny Hill madness to it but by god it’s exciting.
Give CJ his head, give him his license to thrill, “Son, when you’ve got the pill, just run like the clappers, bust those lines, the rest will catch up eventually, just do it”.
I love it, it’s like schoolboy footy when the fastest kid doesn’t quite realise he IS the fastest kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win for morale as losing to a side who fielded a near state league level side with an injured player as their sub would have been embarrassing. Take whatever we can this year.

Ah yes, notable SANFL types such as the Coleman Medal leading Taylor Walker.

Possibly but I also think it's a mindset thing.

The team definetly took more risks to play on and move the ball quickly today which meant our backline was more vulnerable but also we had more space in the forward line.

Based on my observations of the last three years it seems this team plays better when weove the dialba little to the more offensive side and sacrifice a little defense (definetly we play a much more attractive brand when we do).
Its not a mindset thing mate we started like this last week. Melbourne's defence adjusted put more pressure on. We want to play this way. But you have to give the opposition some credit. I mean Richmond and Geelong are two of best defensive structures in the league

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice to get a win after a series of decent efforts but no bikkies. Adelaide were missing some decent players but so were we. Both teams look like they have a chance of a better than bottom four finish but finals could be s stretch.

Kosi clearly has what it takes. Reads the play well and also reads the flight of the ball. Decent hands as well and a nice set shot. Lewis is still a work in progress. He probably did enough to hold his place (even with Jeka breathing down his neck) but he needs to put a full game together rather than doing a few nice things,

You have to love TOB. He really is versatile and managed to hold his marks today. Will probably never live up to his potential but he makes a genuine contribution at both ends.

Cousins showed why Howe is still getting games. Phillips showed why Collingwood didn't fight to keep him.

Moore and Hanrahan were serviceable without setting the world on fire but they are both playing with plenty of intensity so I would be inclined to stick with them.

I thought for his first game back when Cousins came on did some pretty good things. Phillips in his first year with a new club has been very good overall.

There's been a lot on this board about Cousins playing well but I genuinely don't think he did himself too many favours. Kudos to him that he got the ball in a good position a few times, but he seemed to do everything within his power to almost fluff the kick, and that out on the full when we needed goals was really poor.

Kosi had to pull a miracle mark to take that in on the boundary line when it should have been simple out in front.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOB a revelation back. Do we fk off Hartigan?

Jeka and Gunner in this week for me.

JOM BOG. He's in the Brownlow conversation at present. Having an enormous season.

Kosi. We've found one.

Who are your outs to make this happen?! Gunners for Burgoyne seems ok. Maybe hanrahan?

Maybloomer

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was, wasn't it. :)

Sicily actually benefits from the same phenomenon. If you are an incredible mark, but don't have the body, you are better off out marking someone that's trying to mark it against you that trying to out mark someone who is trying to stop you marking it.
It was, wasn't it. :)

Sicily actually benefits from the same phenomenon. If you are an incredible mark, but don't have the body, you are better off out marking someone that's trying to mark it against you that trying to out mark someone who is trying to stop you marking it.
AAE7C891-0EA9-432B-B678-B4C4520A827B.jpeg

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Today although we won is a good reason to reflect why probably more than half of our team won't exist if we make top 4, at the moment, apart from CJ we have nothing at all that is a difference maker for a GF. In saying that I loved Kosi's game and have love his non scoring goal games too. And that is simply because he runs the team lines and Nevr plays for himself. We have Brownlow medalists doing the opposite in general... second half today perhaps not.

We watched Morrison have his worst game for the season, Moore I love his endeavor but he's 5'8 at best and slow was terrible. If that's your future where do you go. Ollie had possies early but yeah short guy unable to tackle too weak. Cousins showed why Howe is a better option was horrid. Mitchell was pantsed in the first half Shiels was too. At half time I had two good midfielders JOM and Phillips. That was it. But miraculously we'd had the same number of shots. Our Ruck is cooked and Ceglar shouldn't come back.

So how did we win? Well Adelaide are overrated that helps. TOM turned up in the second half. TOB went to defence. Other below average midfielders became average midfielders so we broke even. BUT this was not a turn in our stocks except perhaps Kosi. We've seen CJ be good, we've seen TOB be a good defender years ago but our forward line is so broken he plays there.

The best we got out of today was fight and Kosi delivering in a real game. The rest was nice but seen b4 in individual games.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fought back against Geelong too even though we fell short.

Not getting ourselves into the position where we need to is the challenge.

Not enough misfield depth and quality to avoid a patch of mediocrity or worse when the opposition can go to town. It will require the second tier to elevate their performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back