Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not a mindset thing mate we started like this last week. Melbourne's defence adjusted put more pressure on. We want to play this way. But you have to give the opposition some credit. I mean Richmond and Geelong are two of best defensive structures in the league
This is it. We're more than on par, if not ahead, of many of our "peer" teams. Mentally we can probably go with anyone. But in terms of execution and consistency we're still on our L plates and will ultimately get beaten by quality sides.

Personally I reckon the mental side of things is the hardest part to get right, so as far as I'm concerned we're well ahead of our fellow rebuilding sides. We might sit around the bottom 4 for a while this season and next year, but once it "clicks" we're going to be one of those sides that shoots up the ladder "out of no where".

If Wingard's form is a boiling pot of water then it's currently at the point where you forgot you even had water boiling and there's bubbles blowing off the lid and there's foam making the stove flame sizzle.

He's right there ready to explode yet I still don't think we've found the best way to utilise him.

I think it could just be the smallest tweak to his role in the greater Hawthorn game plan and he could shoot straight passed O'Meara and Jiath in terms of performance and excitement.

I have no idea what it is but almost every time he gets the ball it feels like something amazing could happen but he runs into a road block. Remove that and who knows...

Very good summary. Working his backside off for the team. Massive run down tackles and pressure.

Such a shame we are battling and not contending. If we were contending he would be the absolute cream on the cake for us.

With a bit of luck in some games this year from the umps he would have had multiple goals beside his name as he has been mauled a few times inside 25 this year.

Ah yes, notable SANFL types such as the Coleman Medal leading Taylor Walker.

The same SANFL side who beat last years GF and is only 4 points behind the last team to win three premiersips.

Also, Hawks beat St Kilda next week it's possible we'll be only percentage from 8th.

Its not a mindset thing mate we started like this last week. Melbourne's defence adjusted put more pressure on. We want to play this way. But you have to give the opposition some credit. I mean Richmond and Geelong are two of best defensive structures in the league

The Hawks are the only team to go toe to toe with the Dees for 3 quarters this year, let alone 3 quarters and a bit.

TOB can move about. That’s why he’s good on the team.
There may be a game where he is moved forward and kicks a bag. And he can ruck. He is actually a very handy player in this respect
He was good in defence today and okay as a forward. But there will not be a game where he goes forward and kicks a bag. Never has never will. Hasn't done it when we are good against poor sides, hasn't done it in the 2's in 10 goal wins. He is not a consistent goal kicker and cannot kick a big bag.

He has been serviceable as an intercept back, high forward and chop out ruck.

Jeka, Lewis and Kosi have already shown more goal kicking power than him. (i know Jeka hasn't played and may never kick an afl goal but O'Brien never tore the vfl apart like Jeka.

Apparentley the reason we don't have a good team is because were incosistent and we don't ever have a games were everyone scores 100 Champion Data points.

I think he just isn't receiving enough uncontested ball. He getting it himself 10 times a game. I wonder if starting defensive side of stoppages would help.
Pretty fair. Watching on TV I noticed how much inside work and tackling he was doing. He was starting plays more than receiving the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis have already shown more goal kicking power than him.

Which game? I'm completely lost on the Lewis being a superstar forward and has previously showed it.

He showed potential 3 years ago not superstardom but he's pretty much shown less every year since. So in what game/s did Lewis show superstardom at Hawthorn consistently that wasn't at Box Hill? In what game could he chop out in the ruck where he refuses to even compete. And in what game has he ever had a good one in defence? Defence I can tell you not even Clarko in his stubborness is stupid enough to stick his slowness down there.

But let's get back to those forward superstar games at Hawthorn um where were they? Cos I'm a bit lost I go to most/all games in Victoria and watch all others on TV but are you telling me I missed all of them? Yeah... nah.

Taking a mark on a direct opponent who's playing KPF can be he's next dream. Hopefully he gets that one done next week/career.
Hes had a couple of games where he has been shown up one on one.
Excellent intercept mark, useless lockdown defender.

Now first and foremost I want to say that it was enjoyable to see two likely bottom 6 sides take the game on and go for it as opposed to turning it into a dour struggle. I prefer to see us taking the game on today even if it resulted in some poor turnovers that gave up easy goals. I did think we'd be made to pay for missing so many chances in the first 15 mins of the last quarter but nice to see the team I think deserved to get the win get the points in the end.

Credit to Clarkson today and TOB for the move of him to the backline which was absolutely crucial to us getting the points today, it really stemmed the bleeding of the crows dominance in the air.

From about the halfway point of the 2nd half I want to give credit to the midfield, they really lifted especially in the last quarter when it seemed we were kicking to the non scoring end, though Jaeger in particular was absolutely fantastic. Jaeger seems like he must have improved his fitness base with how many contests he managed to get to in the last quarter.

Lovely to see Kosi have a day like he had in the pre season as it should do the world of good for his confidence and really boost morale, hopefully he can keep plugging away and continue to develop.

On the negative side of the coin I thought Scrim had a stinker ( or be it undersized), Hartigan looked poor, Morrison very quiet, Moore non existent, Big boy struggled for the most part, Phillips is so one sided and a poor decision maker, Cousins didn't grasp his chance although had a good last quarter and Wingard pretty quiet.

Anyways Hawkers enjoy the night after another comeback win, credit where it's due 2 comeback wins from 30+ down is a rare trait for a bottom side.

Which game? I'm completely lost on the Lewis being a superstar forward and has previously showed it.

He showed potential 3 years ago not superstardom but he's pretty much shown less every year since. So in what game/s did Lewis show superstardom at Hawthorn consistently that wasn't at Box Hill? In what game could he chop out in the ruck where he refuses to even compete. And in what game has he ever had a good one in defence? Defence I can tell you not even Clarko in his stubborness is stupid enough to stick his slowness down there.

But let's get back to those forward superstar games at Hawthorn um where were they? Cos I'm a bit lost I go to most/all games in Victoria and watch all others on TV but are you telling me I missed all of them? Yeah... nah.

Lewis isn't a superstar, but compared to all key forwards in the league this season he is above average for; contested marks, marks on the lead, disposal efficiency, contested disposals and pressure acts. He is also pushing the top 30% for goals per game.

Not a superstar, but he is very consistently getting the number 1 defender and seriously impressing.

Jaeger O'Meara you're an absolute beast

Taking a mark on a direct opponent who's playing KPF can be he's next dream. Hopefully he gets that one done next week/career.
If he was a KPD, we would expect this of him. He isn't.

Thilthorpe has over 3 inches on him, and i dare say more with arms outstretched. Short of chopping the arms, I don't know what he is expected to do when left one on one with him.

We do lack a bit of height against the really tall forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back