Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

mid-2023:

"I'm just glad he proved me wrong."

"I always knew he was good, just worried that we paid too much, but obviously we didn't"

"You have to admit, my assessment of his first 3 games was right - who knew he would improve so much?", etc. etc.
What will you say when he doesnt live up to pick 3? Nothing I bet

Of what I have seen. What are you basing that he is worth pick 3?

I’m not the one disputing his draft pick. I don’t have to justify my opinion. He was picked at 3

Also find myself comparing him to early Cunners too. Both high selections and drafted to be contested inside midfielders - it's a role that's very difficult to learn and acclimatise to at AFL level in terms of pace, positioning and movement. If you go back and read the Cunnington thread for the first few years, quite a few people were all over him and wondering if he'd ever make it. Now look at him - our best midfielder in quite some time.

Give Will time - he's showing the signs and he's got the ability.

People are going far too early on him. He wouldn't be at AFL level right now if we had a healthy list - he'd be in the VFL getting better and better every week. He's going to be great.

I vividly remember Cunners struggling with the pace of the game and getting tackled many times as he ‘took his time’ with ball in hand looking for the right option to give the ball off to. Eventually, he learned the pace of the game and the things that made him elite at junior level began to surface in the seniors as he worked out how to ‘judge the traffic’.

Last night there was an instance where finding a way through traffic at half forward Will was run down from behind. Similar to Cunners in his early days, he was holding on to the ball to find the right option to deliver inside 50, which he would most likely have executed at junior level. We don’t just want players who ‘get ball, kick ball’. There’s enough in the vision from his junior days to suggest that once he adjusts to the pace of the game, he will a very good midfielder (we hope)!

The counter argument would be that Powell has adjusted, so why hasn’t Will? Early observation suggests that Phillips’ strength is his run and carry out of stoppages, where as with Powell’s it is his vision which allows him to make lightning quick decisions on where to distribute the ball as soon as gets his hands on it.

Their skill sets may be different, but ultimately complementary.

I actually hope he aspires to more in life than "liv(ing) up to pick 3".

What is that even supposed to mean? Be the equal of Sam Day & Lachie Plowman?

it is his fourth/fifth game in over 12 months. give it a rest ffs. as others have posted, most of the victorian kids aren't showing heaps. even if you compare his efforts to other draftees in his class, compare the support that they have around them. Our midfield is a minivan size pile of sh*t at the moment. He is coming into a club that has completely shifted its direction and is, to put a lightly, a complete and utter rabble right now. That isn't to say that all criticism is unwarranted, but cut him some slack.

Those writing Phillips off are the same idiots who have watched no underage football apart from maybe those 5 minute highlight clips. The most superficial type of supporter that really have no idea.

The same ones scream 'JUST KICK IT'' and then when said player kicks it and turns it over they throw their hands up in disbelief at why they just kicked it.

Embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had our highest average speed last night and our highest average speed in attack, with Powell hot on his heels. He also covered the most distance for us, with 14km. He didn't crack the top kph with Stevo and Atu, but he seems to have no trouble covering ground at a decent click.

One might posit, if he’s doing all that, why the * is he not getting more of the footy?

This is by no means a crack at you, or Will, but it seems a lot of wasted effort...

I was really jealous of Tilthorpe’s debut today. I think it’s only natural to hope for a similar performance from Phillips in one of his first few games just for peace of mind that we have snared another good one.

People on here can boast they already know that he is a gun, but you don’t, no one knows until they actually prove it on the big stage. Hopefully the breakout games comes soon, or else we will just have to wait. I suppose it would be greedy to have both Phillips and Powell explode onto the scene.

I was really jealous of Tilthorpe’s debut today. I think it’s only natural to hope for a similar performance from Phillips in one of his first few games just for peace of mind that we have snared another good one.

People on here can boast they already know that he is a gun, but you don’t, no one knows until they actually prove it on the big stage.

I don't reckon any of the top picks would be questioned if they were brought in to sides that were developing properly.

However, when more than half the side around you have played less than 2 seasons of footy, it's not an easy baptism.

Folks are just starting to come around to how hideously inept this rebuild has become.

One might posit, if he’s doing all that, why the fu** is he not getting more of the footy?

This is by no means a crack at you, or Will, but it seems a lot of wasted effort...

All his elite/stand out traits are based around stoppages

He's elite in these areas (I don't use the word elite lightly either. He's legitimately a top 5 underage player I've seen in these 3 areas):
- Centre of gravity is ridiculous despite pressure/body contact (stoppage based)
- Spread from stoppages and ability to motor from contest to contest (stoppage based)
- Defensive work around stoppages (stoppage based)

He's got that ability to get from contest to contest and work the opponent off their legs because he just works so hard around the ground and is always there to help out his teammates and provide the +1 at the contest - this is such a ridiculously important trait for players to have, particularly in the modern game. He combines this with absolute manic defensive pressure around the ball (particularly stoppages) and his elite ability to keep his feet.

Add to this that his biggest weakness is probably his marking and the only position on the ground that has the license to roam from contest to contest freely is onballers. As a forward flanker he needs to be mindful of his positioning and not getting sucked in to the contest.

So his stand-out traits are all stoppage-based and his biggest weakness is probably most exploited by playing as a forward flanker that needs to present up the ground in a team that isn't doing their forwards any favours in the way the ball is coming in.

He's been played on the wing at times but again, wingers need to keep their width and can't get sucked in to stoppages. Playing him as a back flanker isn't going to help either.

He does lack versatility but so do Clayton Oliver, Tom Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Scott Pendlebury, Trent Cotchin... etc.

I don't have a huge issue with him being played as a forward flanker as I think it'll help him adjust to the pace of the game for whenever we decide to give him more time onball. It's just annoying having to put up with the 'fans' who are quick to give him a whack despite not taking into account any of the above, or the fact he hasn't played footy since 2019 or the fact he's still getting match fitness...

Last edited:
All his elite/stand out traits are based around stoppages

He's elite in these areas (I don't use the word elite lightly either. He's legitimately a top 5 underage player I've seen in these 3 areas):
- Centre of gravity is ridiculous despite pressure/body contact (stoppage based)
- Spread from stoppages and ability to motor from contest to contest (stoppage based)
- Defensive work around stoppages (stoppage based)

He's got that ability to get from contest to contest and work the opponent off their legs because he just works so hard around the ground and is always there to help out his teammates and provide the +1 at the contest - this is such a ridiculously important trait for players to have, particularly in the modern game. He combines this with absolute manic defensive pressure around the ball (particularly stoppages) and his elite ability to keep his feet.

Add to this that his biggest weakness is probably his marking and the only position on the ground that has the license to roam from contest to contest freely is onballers. As a forward flanker he needs to be mindful of his positioning and not getting sucked in to the contest.

So his stand-out traits are all stoppage-based and his biggest weakness is probably most exploited by playing as a forward flanker that needs to present up the ground in a team that isn't doing their forwards any favours in the way the ball is coming in.

He's been played on the wing at times but again, wingers need to keep their width and can't get sucked in to stoppages. Playing him as a back flanker isn't going to help either.

He does lack versatility but so do Clayton Oliver, Tom Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Scott Pendlebury, Trent Cotchin... etc.

I don't have a huge issue with him being played as a forward flanker as I think it'll help him adjust to the pace of the game for whenever we decide to give him more time onball. It's just annoying having to put up with the 'fans' who are quick to give him a whack despite not taking into account any of the above, or the fact he hasn't played footy since 2019 or the fact he's still getting match fitness...

Nice analysis Souup. A bit off topic for the thread, but how do you see the best utilisation of Will, LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Powell, Horne (yeah I’m counting him already ;) ) along with the vets Cunners and Jed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back