Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick

That top 5 pick we get could be a bust for all we know.

The draft is a lottery and it's going to be very hard to find a player as good as Merret.
Next 5 weeks are big. 5 teams that I doubt will play finals. If you don’t win at least 3 then bottom 4 is a big chance.

We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick

That top 5 pick we get could be a bust for all we know.

The draft is a lottery and it's going to be very hard to find a player as good as Merret.

not sure what gives you that confidence......

Next 5 weeks are big. 5 teams that I doubt will play finals. If you don’t win at least 3 then bottom 4 is a big chance.
Results are bonuses this year.
Big tick for us so far has been the work rate and endeavour.

Next 5 are winnable
there's another 7 on the other side of the break.

We won't win 12, but if we can pull 6 wins (2x North, Hawks, Suns + Giants & Swans at Marvel loom mostly likely) to finish with 7 for the year, that's a big plus for the side.
If we keep battling despite the game being lost/opposition too strong, that goes a good way to Merrett staying.

not sure what gives you that confidence......
North and GCS will finish bottom 2. Seems a foregone conclusion with those 2.
The hawks have the class to stave it off, but part of me thinks they're not interested.

We're the highest scoring team outside the 8 oddly enough.
Not surprising given the age of our backline we're the 3rd worse for scores against, but we'll start to see defenders return.

Once the clearance core of Draper, Shiel and Caldwell are back, i suspect we tighten up a bit there too.

North and GCS will finish bottom 2. Seems a foregone conclusion with those 2.
The hawks have the class to stave it off, but part of me thinks they're not interested.

We're the highest scoring team outside the 8 oddly enough.
Not surprising given the age of our backline we're the 3rd worse for scores against, but we'll start to see defenders return.

Once the clearance core of Draper, Shiel and Caldwell are back, i suspect we tighten up a bit there too.

we let a team score 100 points in dead set monsoon conditions. We are VERY far off it.

We could very easily get belted by collingwood next week.

IMO there's nothing stopping us finishing bottom 2 also. I wouldn't be confident calling us a win over NM or GC ATM.

Is that a selling point? Not everyone wants to be a captain and in the position you're in it's almost as a default position. Like, if you stay here you have to be responsible for all of this.
He is very driven and has made no secret of his leadership aspirations.

It’s not so much that he would pick Geelong over Collingwood if they offered up the captaincy so much as I don’t think *any* of the viable options would trade a player in and then make that player their captain.

It’s a dream he would probably have to give up if he chose to leave (balance that against $$$ and a better chance at being a premiership player elsewhere).

He could conceivably play 3-4 years somewhere, earn their respect and be captain for a year at the age of 31 but that’s probably still pushing it.

He is very driven and has made no secret of his leadership aspirations.

It’s not so much that he would pick Geelong over Collingwood if they offered up the captaincy so much as I don’t think *any* of the viable options would trade a player in and then make that player their captain.

It’s a dream he would probably have to give up if he chose to leave (balance that against $$$ and a better chance at being a premiership player elsewhere).

He could conceivably play 3-4 years somewhere, earn their respect and be captain for a year at the age of 31 but that’s probably still pushing it.

probably could get more dollars and Capt at the Dons than Geelong... although JSel has his time coming to an end ..and I cant say we have obvious candidates all knocking down the door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You beat 17th.

It doesn't matter, it's about showing signs. For all he knows he could do a Kelly to West Coast or Daniher to Brisbane and they fall off a cliff.

The signs are positive here for now. Plus there’s only about 4 teams that are worth beating currently that would actually be a significant scalp.

It doesn't matter, it's about showing signs. For all he knows he could do a Kelly to West Coast or Daniher to Brisbane and they fall off a cliff.

The signs are positive here for now. Plus there’s only about 4 teams that are worth beating currently that would actually be a significant scalp.
Dons looked good today. Also love that they're playing the kids and still able to win. Doing it the right way.

Dons looked good today. Also love that they're playing the kids and still able to win. Doing it the right way.

I think kids help more than hinder these days. Get pushed off it a little easy and the tank isn't always there at the end of games/quarters but two way running is far more ingrained in kids these days than the guys who debuted 10 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back