Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which game? I'm completely lost on the Lewis being a superstar forward and has previously showed it.

He showed potential 3 years ago not superstardom but he's pretty much shown less every year since. So in what game/s did Lewis show superstardom at Hawthorn consistently that wasn't at Box Hill? In what game could he chop out in the ruck where he refuses to even compete. And in what game has he ever had a good one in defence? Defence I can tell you not even Clarko in his stubborness is stupid enough to stick his slowness down there.

But let's get back to those forward superstar games at Hawthorn um where were they? Cos I'm a bit lost I go to most/all games in Victoria and watch all others on TV but are you telling me I missed all of them? Yeah... nah.

Which game? I'm completely lost on the Lewis being a superstar forward and has previously showed it.

He showed potential 3 years ago not superstardom but he's pretty much shown less every year since. So in what game/s did Lewis show superstardom at Hawthorn consistently that wasn't at Box Hill? In what game could he chop out in the ruck where he refuses to even compete. And in what game has he ever had a good one in defence? Defence I can tell you not even Clarko in his stubborness is stupid enough to stick his slowness down there.

But let's get back to those forward superstar games at Hawthorn um where were they? Cos I'm a bit lost I go to most/all games in Victoria and watch all others on TV but are you telling me I missed all of them? Yeah... nah.

You're confused. I didn't say superstardom, i said more goal kicking power.

He consistently kicked gials goals in the vfl, 3 nearly every week. O'Brien didn't do that in 9 years

At afl level late 2019 Lewis consistently kicked multiple goals. 2020 was a down year coming back from injury and a difficult year for all. Patton just delayed his opportunity too.

The comments about playing well back, high forward and chop out ruck were referring to O'Brien.

Again, not talking about superstardom, Lewis had a poor year last year but showed heaps of potential in 2019 and consistent VFL form before it. He has looked good this year and is still showing potential and improvement. Long way to go before he uses up his "developing player" credits.

O'Brien has had soo much opportunity at AFL level based on not much VFL form and has played far more shockers than good games and has never kicked a bag as the post i was replying to said he would do one day.

If O'Brien is to be considered anything other than a disappointing player it needs to be in a role other than goal kicking forward. Chb, lose back, ruck/forward. But to expect him to have a game like kosi with 9 marks and 5 goals from 8 scoring shots just won't happen. Or for him to go to the vfl as a 27 year old with plenty of afl experience and do what 2nd* year player jeka has done and kick 7,6,3,5.

*2020 not a real year for Jeka with no vfl.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Shiels changed his role today playing as third wing. It looked like Morrison took Howe's role as the man open for the switch. Shiels stepped into Morrison's wing rotations and others (Worpel, Wingard, Cousins) took up Shiels' centre bounce time. He ran hard, did some great defensive things and I thought had an okay game. I like the mix better but would still rather a wing with elite kicking (obviously). But until Downie comes in or Scrimshaw/Day move up the ground, Shiels is a decent option.

Lewis has played 25 games, Kosi 5. Kosi has also only been a forward for a few months. Whatever we are judging these two guys on needs to be looked at through the lens that big key forwards need plenty of time to develop. I couldn’t be happier with what these 2 have offered this year so far with limited and inconsistent forward delivery.

Jimmy#17

All Australian
Jan 25, 2017
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pathetic crowd at the ground today, I thought Tasmanians loved footy.
What was the Crowd ? It did look pretty bare.
It looked a little barren but I thought that was a COVID thing 🤷‍♂️

Was at the game. It was actually pretty close to a capacity crowd with the restrictions in place. It might have looked a little worse as a couple of sections of the ground are general admission only (which none are allowed).

Hate to play the pessimist (that’s your job!) but not so sure that we are.

And it’d be a long term disaster if true.

Still desperately need a few influxes of top end draft talent to set us up for sustained success.
Yes!

We must finish bottom 2 for the next 3 years! That's what football is all about!!!!

Winning is for losers!

Haha just saw this.
FB_IMG_1619345880751.jpg

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its not a mindset thing mate we started like this last week. Melbourne's defence adjusted put more pressure on. We want to play this way. But you have to give the opposition some credit. I mean Richmond and Geelong are two of best defensive structures in the league
Put it this way.

Some teams win games by playing slow, controlled footy. Geelong and West Coast as an example. A classical style where they want to control the ball.

Other teams win games of footy by running and gunning and playing on at every opportunity. Teams like Richmond and Port to a lesser extent.

Both are legitimate ways to win.

But from what I have seen I over the last 3 or so years we look our best when we play a fast attacking brand of footy (like today) and we look our worst when we try and move the ball in a slow, controlled manner.

I don't think in alone in making this observation either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wins are a bonus right now. Fast forward 12 months with the likely additions from today’s side:
Gunston
Day
Sicily
Grainger Barass
Downie
Jeka?
Brockman
As it stands Pick 4, 20 and 22 in the draft😃
*Found a couple of rippers in Kosi and CJ so far this season.
Lots to get excited about.

Nov 25, 2010
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been receiving texts from mates all day saying what a great comeback win that was... I look fwd to watching the replay. Interesting to read all the positive vibes on TOB playing down back. Perhaps Cegs can have an extended run in the 2s and TOB can be our 2nd ruckman; play predominantly fwd, relieve in the ruck and switch back when needed... could happen a lot given all these run-ons the opposition have had so far this season. I reckon Kosi looks like the smallest of our three KPFs so probably benefits the most if we have 3x big blokes up fwd. As an aside, I think we played the 'roos in Tassie during pre-season, so Kosi has kicked both his bags down there.

Put it this way.

Some teams win games by playing slow, controlled footy. Geelong and West Coast as an example. A classical style where they want to control the ball.

Other teams win games of footy by running and gunning and playing on at every opportunity. Teams like Richmond and Port to a lesser extent.

Both are legitimate ways to win.

But from what I have seen I over the last 3 or so years we look our best when we play a fast attacking brand of footy (like today) and we look our worst when we try and move the ball in a slow, controlled manner.

I don't think in alone in making this observation either.
Richmond against melbourne had the hawthorn game plan or so many like to point out they just kept bombing it long into the forward line to the now infamous nooneinparticular. They werent allowed to play their game. So did Richmond change the game plan against Melb. Look over the whole field mate see the full picture watch how teams setup at stoppages and around the ground when a behind is kicked.

For instance you would have noticed we r now playing one on one defensively and offensively. We do not zone. We have changed the way we structure up. We attack more. It also means we r more susceptible to a turnover. Which has happened a lot. We r also rather shallow for midfielders in the middle of the ground it is our biggest weakness and i believe the cause for our one qtr fadeouts. We just get smashed in there and take a bit of time to recover the situation

Taking a mark on a direct opponent who's playing KPF can be he's next dream. Hopefully he gets that one done next week/career.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been receiving texts from mates all day saying what a great comeback win that was... I look fwd to watching the replay. Interesting to read all the positive vibes on TOB playing down back. Perhaps Cegs can have an extended run in the 2s and TOB can be our 2nd ruckman; play predominantly fwd, relieve in the ruck and switch back when needed... could happen a lot given all these run-ons the opposition have had so far this season. I reckon Kosi looks like the smallest of our three KPFs so probably benefits the most if we have 3x big blokes up fwd. As an aside, I think we played the 'roos in Tassie during pre-season, so Kosi has kicked both his bags down there.
Was at Arden St.

Taking a mark on a direct opponent who's playing KPF can be he's next dream. Hopefully he gets that one done next week/career.

Birchall was the smallest 193cm player I have ever seen and he went alright for the Hawks from 2005 to 2017 or so. Scrimshaw is the reincarnation of Birchall and if he continues the development arc that had Birchall one of the least heralded but most damaging half backs in the game (thanks to the infatuation of the media with Mackie and Enright), then I will be very happy.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
CJ and the team's reaction to his run through the center and delivery to Lewis was just the most wonderful sight. They were just so excited like they'd pulled off the perfect play. Loved it.
Yes, but it was a shame that Lewis wasn't able to convert

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ve shown good fight, energy and endeavour virtually every week. Add in some extra polish, which will come, and a little extra talent at the trade and draft tables, and we’ll be looking good in a few years.
Agreed. Also missing Gunston, Sicily and Day has a huge impact on that lack of polish. All 3 are amongst our best decision makers and best kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back