Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anything official from the club saying he's injured his groin or just people saying that he has?

The only thing said by the club as far as I can see was that he was sore and didn't play. Not necessarily that he is injured.

Only the coach in the press conference - said he was expecting to see Ratugolea out there at the centre bounce and not walking the halls

Said that "he was a bit sore, didn't feel comfortable that he could play properly"

From memory Chris Scott said it was groin at the post match press conference yesterday.
Yeah the quote is "sore groin" not groin tear, adductor tear, or tear, or injury. Just sore.

Just pushing back on the idea that it's cut and dry that it's a groin injury. By the way he said, and asked Lloyd about the injury I don't think anyone can take anything concrete out of the presser. Seems as though it's being quoted in this thread as a bona fide groin injury, when that hasn't been said by anyone, including the club whose only statement has been "sore groin".

It could be a groin injury. Absolutely. Little bit annoying to read posts that state he is 100% injured with a groin and no timeline - and it being stated as a fact - with nobody really saying it from the club is all

Nah. Too selfish, gets in other forwards way, doesn’t chase, and is a terrible kick for goal. I don’t like him there.

But sometimes it works. Just not consistently enough.
That’s why you only using him for very brief periods as not to hurt the forwards too much, the opposition coach will have a headache with our forwards once everyone is synching together and fully fit

Quite recently some never wanted Stanley in the team again - never! If he plays a moderate game again some will be calling for his blood again. He's what Jack Dyer used to call a "good ordinary footballer". In time he'll be joined by Esava and we'll be very strong in the ruck department.

I love Jack Henry's development.
If Stanley played like that consistently you would never read a bad word about him. But we get games like that and games where he's WOG, often in the space of a few weeks. And if it's not that it's random lower leg injuries that seem to take forever to heal.

The Rohan argument really is a case of arguing against the blind and the stupid. Whenever he has a bad game you get the sarcastic remarks mocking the “what he does off the ball” but it really is true. His forward pressure is relentless.

Noticeable how easy the Hawks and Dees were able to move the ball out of defence in his absence. He won’t come close to being dropped and so long as Cameron and Hawkins stay fit he will thrive getting the 3rd defender.

Either pick a small nippy backman to match his explosiveness and he will outleap his man or go taller and he will run him ragged.

There are three G.Rohans that play for Geelong -
- the high impact Gary who is an offensive weapon, with superstar level one on one and pack marking and aggressive leading and tackling. May only have two or three bursts but really influences or even turns the game. That was Gary in 2nd Qtr yesterday and in most of his first 8 games for us.
- the integral team player Gary - constant menacing defensive run and tackling presence, with an over the top or crumbing goal to at least keep the opposition from launching attacking runs from deep defence
- the cannot get involved almost disinterested Gary. Few tackle attempts and little impact. Almost as if ‘lost’ or perhaps even little off colour.

I think nearly all Gary’s critics accept that even the ‘team player’ version is highly valuable. The problem is the number of performances that fall into the last category, in particular in finals - almost a liability.
I accept we don’t have anyone in VFL with Gary’s potential and that keeps him in, but the finals record alone means that it should be reasonable to question whether we should be putting games into a similar player like Jarvis. Perhaps with Jez coming in, Rohan will be more a consistent contributor and have impact in finals.

Last edited:
The Rohan argument really is a case of arguing against the blind and the stupid. Whenever he has a bad game you get the sarcastic remarks mocking the “what he does off the ball” but it really is true. His forward pressure is relentless.

Noticeable how easy the Hawks and Dees were able to move the ball out of defence in his absence. He won’t come close to being dropped and so long as Cameron and Hawkins stay fit he will thrive getting the 3rd defender.

Either pick a small nippy backman to match his explosiveness and he will outleap his man or go taller and he will run him ragged.
In the GF last year, his work on Grimes was highlighted as effective, until Richmond freed Grimes up in the second half.

I think Stewart is better. He can also compete and dominate in the air unlike Enright. Stewart needs to keep his current form going for another 4 seasons and he will end up with more all Australians then Enright.
Stewart needs a few more seasons to add to his body of work.
Enright was a generational player who was rarely beaten over a decade plus.
Too early to make such a big call..

No I have a perfectly good memory. Well as good as anyone else’s. the Fact people are trying to argue Enright is even in the same class as Stewart in regards to contested marking and killing the highball is frankly ridiculous. Enright was great at the ground ball. he was not an aerial player. Just like other great half back flankers like Andrew McLeod, Andrew mcckay or Luke hodge. None of which were great aerial players. Hodge being the best of that lot.
Just no..

For sav to come in it’s Rohan who goes out. Rohan had an excellent 2nd qtr yesterday. one good game in four this season. In the other 3 we have almost played a man down he has done so little. He needs to up yesterday’s game to one every 2 Weeks. Not one every four.
Structurally it makes sense too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I have a perfectly good memory. Well as good as anyone else’s. the Fact people are trying to argue Enright is even in the same class as Stewart in regards to contested marking and killing the highball is frankly ridiculous. Enright was great at the ground ball. he was not an aerial player. Just like other great half back flankers like Andrew McLeod, Andrew mcckay or Luke hodge. None of which were great aerial players. Hodge being the best of that lot.
I can find more images of Enright being third man up if you like. There are literally hundreds of them.

He isn't debated as the best HBF of all time just for giggles.

Yesterday, I saw Rohan, Cameron and Hawkins manage that forward line so well. None of them had to move out of the way for Danger (because he’s so good) or compete with him in the air for the ball as he goes for everything.

We’re very lucky to have him, and I think it would only benefit him and the team - If Dangerfield was able to pick and choose when to go, he would have more burst energy to really impact his he contest and he would not be so fatigued that he sprays a kick.

Alot rubbish him and bag him ( i havent been one of them ) and i know he is inconsistent and his GF record is poor - however in that 2nd qtr he beat Brad Sheppard ( who i think has been AA and is a pretty good player ) pointless

You can only pick and play - players who are on your list - thats why i have allways said that Rohan is easily in Geelongs best 22 - simply because he is

It is the same with Bews - no world beater - far from it - however as a back pocket - small defender - he also is in Geelongs best 22 - there is no one in the 2nds better than Bews in that position . If there was a youngish David Wojincsi currently in Geel 2nds - he would probably take Bews spot - but currently there isnt - and thats why Bews is easily in Geelongs best 22

Yeah but i feel like Bews kicks it out on the full more than anyone on the team
There has to be someone "winning" that stat. I'm sure the good that Bews does outweighs the oob otf's.

Last edited:
I can find more images of Enright being third man up if you like. There are literally hundreds of them.

He isn't debated as the best HBF of all time just for giggles.
finding a couple of images proves nothing. I can find 66 instances of Enright kicking goals. Doesn’t mean hitting the scoreboard was one of his attributes as a player. I’m not Debating whether he is one of the best half back flankers of the past 30 years. He definitely is. but not as a third man up in A marking contest. Stewart is A great third man up. So was Leigh Colbert. Even milburn and ken Hinkley. But not Enright. Enrights attributes that made him great were elsewhere.

There are three G.Rohans that play for Geelong -
- the high impact Gary who is an offensive weapon, with superstar level one on one and pack marking and aggressive leading and tackling. May only have two or three bursts but really influences or even turns the game. That was Gary in 2nd Qtr yesterday and in most of his first 8 games for us.
- the integral team player Gary - constant menacing defensive run and tackling presence, with an over the top or crumbing mark to at least keep the opposition from launching attacking runs from deep defence
- the cannot get involved almost disinterested Gary. Few tackle attempts and little impact. Almost as if ‘lost’ or perhaps even little off colour.

I think nearly all Gary’s critics accept that even the ‘team player’ version is highly valuable. The problem is the number of performances that fall into the last category, in particular in finals - almost a liability.
I accept we don’t have anyone in VFL with Garry’s potential and that keeps him in. Not much confidence for year end though.
Geeze - it would be a tough argument to say the last category is the reason he played badly in those finals.

My god Blicavs is a turn over merchant - always gets caught and that kick backwards in the first quarter that lead to direct West Coast goal.... Wow... Terrible lol

Good to get the win though

finding a couple of images proves nothing. I can find 66 instances of Enright kicking goals. Doesn’t mean hitting the scoreboard was one of his attributes as a player. I’m not Debating whether he is one of the best half back flankers of the past 30 years. He definitely is. but not as a third man up in A marking contest. Stewart is A great third man up. So was Leigh Colbert. Even milburn and ken Hinkley. But not Enright. Enrights attributes that made him great were elsewhere.
That's fine. It is evidence though. What have you got to prove he wasn't?

My god Blicavs is a turn over merchant - always gets caught and that kick backwards in the first quarter that lead to direct West Coast goal.... Wow... Terrible lol

Good to get the win though
They really should fine him every time he kicks backwards, till he learns to stop doing it. It’s almost his default setting, and it shits me up the wall.

Bit of a worry.
Has accumulated a fair 'lowlight' tape over his journey in the backline. Hopefully with more consistent time down back, judgement will improve.
(fingers crossed)

Alot rubbish him and bag him ( i havent been one of them ) and i know he is inconsistent and his GF record is poor - however in that 2nd qtr he beat Brad Sheppard ( who i think has been AA and is a pretty good player ) pointless

You can only pick and play - players who are on your list - thats why i have allways said that Rohan is easily in Geelongs best 22 - simply because he is

It is the same with Bews - no world beater - far from it - however as a back pocket - small defender - he also is in Geelongs best 22 - there is no one in the 2nds better than Bews in that position . If there was a youngish David Wojincsi currently in Geel 2nds - he would probably take Bews spot - but currently there isnt - and thats why Bews is easily in Geelongs best 22
Bews is as tough as nails and has becoming a very attacking player. I like seeing him in our best 22.

It’s easy to pick out players when we lose, but generally, it’s all of them who don’t look their best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back