Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think this topic deserves its own thread. I tried to follow the discussions on the other threads but I find it hard to follow with all the other discussions going on.

The scenario:
- Hamill appearing to have a knee injury of some sort during a contest. He was then carried off, unable to weightbear on the side of the injured leg, a few minutes before 3-quarter time.
- Tom lynch being the medical substitute, wasn’t called on until a few minutes into the 4th quarter.
- video footage of Lynch having to do some minutes of warm up in the changerooms. Also seen to be taking some painkillers before entering the field.

The questions:
- Lynch didn’t look right, surely? He hasn’t actually looked right for 1-2 weeks now.
- if he wasn’t fit, why pick him as the med sub?
- if indeed he was fit, why not get him on the Park by the start of the 4th quarter?
- who is responsible for this blundering blunderfest blunder?

I think this topic deserves its own thread. I tried to follow the discussions on the other threads but I find it hard to follow with all the other discussions going on.

The scenario:
- Hamill appearing to have a knee injury of some sort during a contest. He was then carried off, unable to weightbear on the side of the injured leg, a few minutes before 3-quarter time.
- Tom lynch being the medical substitute, wasn’t called on until a few minutes into the 4th quarter.
- video footage of Lynch having to do some minutes of warm up in the changerooms. Also seen to be taking some painkillers before entering the field.

The questions:
- Lynch didn’t look right, surely? He hasn’t actually looked right for 1-2 weeks now.
- if he wasn’t fit, why pick him as the med sub?
- if indeed he was fit, why not get him on the Park by the start of the 4th quarter?
- who is responsible for this blundering blunderfest blunder?

It is surely Lynch's job to be ready. He's a professional footballer and knows that replacing an injured player is a quick turnaround.

ultimately the fault lies with Nicks, Lynch should of been at home with his foot resting on the coffee table, but ffs if your gonna go with an injured player makes sure your ready to go, how hard is it? The chance of someone going off injured is pretty *ing high. Lynch being a leader at the club is laughable after his preparation or lack there of today

Which gif would that be?
The Adelaide Football Club at West Lakes in full swing.

giphy.gif

Kelly’s explanation was laughable. Sure, he needed a jab before going on, whatever, lots of players need something for various niggles before playing. But he looked no where near fit to play. Could barely run. Surely holding Mackay out and playing him as the sub would of been a far better option?

ultimately the fault lies with Nicks, Lynch should of been at home with his foot resting on the coffee table, but ffs if your gonna go with an injured player makes sure your ready to go, how hard is it? The chance of someone going off injured is pretty f*n high. Lynch being a leader at the club is laughable after his preparation or lack there of today

I actually think we were too gutless to properly drop Lynch and were hoping to carry him as the sub for a week and bring him back next week (probably for Thilthorpe).

Kelly’s explanation was laughable. Sure, he needed a jab before going on, whatever, lots of players need something for various niggles before playing. But he looked no where near fit to play. Could barely run. Surely holding Mackay out and playing him as the sub would of been a far better option?
Our resident doctor will tell you, if he had literally minutes a jab before going onto the field, the jab was administered too late.

For starters it should have been given much earlier for a player that may be required to come on. You need to be ready. FFS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i thought kelly's explanation was fine, my question is why was he sub in the first place? if he was fit surely he'd be starting on the field. but he's not the sort of player, even when fit, would fit the sub role. obviously the cupboard is pretty bare but it should have been mackay as the sub.

the worrying thing is that he is doing that stuff before every game. just give him time off to get it fixed up. why keep playing a bloke at 60%?

Well, we been selecting him for the last few weeks even with the toe injury so.....

also it's pretty bad vision that hamill comes to the bench not able to put any weight on it and lynch is just sat there, watching him, still tracksuit zipped up and everything. we they concerned that he would injure himself warming up?

I’m not even sure how we “tried to be smart” by picking an out-of-sorts Lynch? Were we attempting at bluffing the opposition by playing an injured sub, so they would get all confused...?!
They tried to have their cake and eat it too. Lynch gets rest for a aeen, no one from the SANFL missed time, everyone gets what they need. Of course that was under the chance no one got hurt, which they did.

If they just admitted they gambled and lost I could live with it, it's stupid, but there's at least some thought into it. Instead we get the spin we were promised would stop.

surely he cant be in the squad in any capacity next week.

He better start getting reacquainted with kicking a Burley.

They tried to have their cake and eat it too. Lynch gets rest for a aeen, no one from the SANFL missed time, everyone gets what they need. Of course that was under the chance no one got hurt, which they did.

If they just admitted they gambled and lost I could live with it, it's stupid, but there's at least some thought into it. Instead we get the spin we were promised would stop.
Lynch was playing the entire game for a few weeks carrying the toe injury so clearly it's an injury that can't get worst while playing, likely the jab he used wear off and wasn't as effectively so he needed another one and that take time, hence Kelly's comment that they needed to give Lynch time to get ready to get on the ground. The issue is why wasn't he dropped because of his form and not injury....

Lynch was playing the entire game for a few weeks carrying the toe injury so clearly it's an injury that can't get worst while playing, likely the jab he used wear off and wasn't as effectively so he needed another one and that take time, hence Kelly's comment that they needed to give Lynch time to get ready to get on the ground. The issue is why wasn't he dropped because of his form and not injury....
He likely wouldn't have been jabbed at all prior to getting the call he had to play. He wasn't strapped or in his gear, they didn't want him to play at all, that's why it took so long for him to get out there and why he wasn't even warmed up.

Had him sitting on the bench hoping he wouldn't need to do anything.

Rumors are we will list Gibbs as the sub next week, so everyone gets a game.

Should have been ready when McPherson came off injured

He likely wouldn't have been jabbed at all prior to getting the call he had to play. He wasn't strapped or in his gear, they didn't want him to play at all, that's why it took so long for him to get out there and why he wasn't even warmed up.

Had him sitting on the bench hoping he wouldn't need to do anything.
I thought it took him so long because they had to jab and re-strap his toe, re-strapped (which took longer than expected) and then do the warm up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back