Autopsy Freo Belt North But Didn’t Score 100, Time to Rebuild - Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think hes developed a technical issue. His ball drop when kicking on the run: his hand seems to have come down closer to the middle of the ball, which I don't remember as being his style. Often now also the ball drop is slipping outside the centreline of his leg. He's like a bowler whose action is gone.
He’s definitely a flawed player, and can look like a bit of a scrubber. Having a very effective run of games though.

16% percentage boost, plus the flogs at Richmond and Wet Toast both lost. Magical day.
And now, to top it all off, St Cicatrix and the rest of the nasty St Kilda flogs are getting thrashed (again) by Port!!!

What a spectacular weekend!! And it is a long weekend too (methinks especially long for Wet Toast, Richmond and St Kilda!!)!!!

And now, to top it all off, St Cicatrix and the rest of the nasty St Kilda flogs are getting thrashed (again) by Port!!!

What a spectacular weekend!! And it is a long weekend too (methinks especially long for Wet Toast, Richmond and St Kilda!!)!!!
I live in Victoria, and the Saints are the most bitter and worse fans in the league.

Glad they are down.

Plus all the BS and lies in the trade period with regards to Hill.

I live in Victoria, and the Saints are the most bitter and worse fans in the league.

Glad they are down.

Plus all the BS and lies in the trade period with regards to Hill.
The Saints board is just... just... just...

freakishly nasty and eating their own??

He’s great to watch. A strutting, tackling, colliding tonka truck.
Tonka. Better nickname for him than Shoota. I’ve decided it. Shoota is a star Australian swing bowler. Tonka is a Freo small forward. Tonka Tuff. 👍🏽

(My only issue is that he looks like Todd Johnston, which kinda irks me a bit...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a evening game, lots of dew, wet ball, we hit leads early in the game but the forwards weren’t clunking them. Ignoring the lead in the weather was a smart choice.

Probably Acres best game for the club.

I liked the way Acres played
. Has got very good ball skills and is involved all over the ground.
I recall he was Very good against Richmond last year

In fact he sounded more depressed than Simmo
Maybe the reality of not only fighting the VFL but the WCEFL is becoming too much to bear ?

Positives
- Fyfe in the midfield where he belongs
- Mundyfourhundy looks like it is definitely going to be a thing.
- Brayshaw is a jet. Loved watching him get tagged and play through it.
- Serong > Neale
- Sean Darcy being a proper ruck dog. I have so much confidence when he floats forward, it seems the space created in the forward line due to the new rules is really benefiting him.
- Treacy and his repeat efforts. I am firmly in the camp of putting 10 games straight into him and seeing if he is going to make it or not. We don't pick enough forwards for a start, let's not wait 4 years of him playing WAFL footy before punting him. Throw him into the fire for a few weeks and see what happens.
We aren't winning the flag this year, give someone a proper crack at pairing with Taberner.
- Top 6 baby!

Negatives:
- We are so far off the flag it isn't funny. No way does that game style win us a final. We won because North are so bad, not because we were too good.
- Goal kicking is atrocious, how we pay Lobb as much as we do for his output is a head scratcher. He is not a good forward.
- Fyfes goal kicking. Is it mechanics? Is it confidence? Something is properly wrong and he doesn't seem to be getting good advice on it. Needs to be talking to a midfielder who kicked goals for advice.
- Didn't like North's tactics of trying to beat us up to keep in the contest.
- Game day threads are still a yuk place to post.
- Not kicking 100 points.
Agree with the rest of your post but not this. It's like saying Richmond can't win a flag with their game style because they got thumped by Melbourne yesterday.

The game plan is fine. We didn't execute it as well as we should have but you can still see the strong fundamentals of a plan that involves winning the contested ball, getting the ball to the outside, trying not to bomb long to move the ball, and to lower the eyes and try and hit targets inside 50 rather than bomb it to whichever forward is closest to goal. The team defensive zone wasn't as tight as it could be but we locked the ball in our forward half at times still - will need to be more disciplined next week. I thought the dew had the players running slower, fumbling and losing their feet a lot more than they should have and resulted in a scrappier game than it needed to be. North were also clearly trying to use physicality and the umps didn't protect our players at all - I don't mind it (think our young players are learning how to deal with it - eg Brayshaw working through the tag) but really we should have won the free kick count convincingly in that game. Probably most of all, to use a favourite term of JLo's, we didn't put much speed behind the ball like we have in previous games. The players weren't willing to hit the button and attack and trust that the players down field would open up space and win the 1-on-1 contests. I suspect we may have seen a lot more if they could have fed off the energy of a live crowd. Continuing to miss shots on goal we shouldn't be is also having a greater impact than just not getting the goals on the scoreboard - hopefully the team can work through it because they fix that and the psych benefits to the rest of the game plan will see us being able to pile on big scores. I've watched a lot more non-Freo games this year and been shocked how poor a lot of supposed good teams have looked - we're not that far off imo.

We won't win a final (or even next week) if we execute the plan as poorly as we did yesterday but the plan itself looks pretty solid to me. It's only Rd 6, we have plenty of time to improve on the execution front.
1st off it was North and North this season are very bad.

Look back at round 1 2019. Freo beat them 21.15.141 to Norths 9.5.59. North in 2019 looked semi decent. Yeah they had some 30 year olds and list cloggers to make them copetitive.

But looking back at that game. Crazy to think our leading goal kicker was Cam McCarthy. Had the talent but not the motiviation or drive to improve.

I wished we made finals last season. would been nice if we did.

Are we a long way off a flag? yes.

Are we a long way off in making finals? No. I dont expect finals this season. the games late in the season is brutal.

You mean my buddy Hughes, who is as tough and reliable a defender as they come, who makes occasional mistakes, but who beats his man almost every single week. Yeah, people need to see what he brings to the team, and not the (okay perhaps more than the) occasional clanger. His name would be among the first on the board each week and those saying he should be an out every week are living in Lala Land. He’s not going anywhere.
Thanks esti for seeing beyond his escaped goat status and joining me in saying my buddy should be highly rated by everyone. If you don’t rate him, quite simply, you’re wrong. ☺️
Hughes played very well I thought

honestly i think you must have been watching a different game. Fyfe was beasting North Melbourne with his strength, he invites contact to draw in 2-3 tackles to create space.
Fyfe's bull work makes all the other midfielders look good .
He is doing the dirty work and getting driven into the ground time and time again but still manages to squirt them out to the clean hands.
It's a great combination

He has every right to be sad/pissed. We did not play well at all, but North may just be one of the worst teams I have ever seen. They are Melbourne 2013 bad.

Our skills are still not good enough. Players who don't improve their skills should be dropped.
Question :
Has Freo at its lowest depths ever been as bad as what North are at the moment?

To those people suggesting Brayshaw broke the tag -

What information are you using to determine this? His tagger was taken off him for the second half (moved to Mundy as he was more damaging). I'd like to understand what happened in the first half to suggest he'd broken it

To me it feels like an optimistic reading of what happened - but I'm also probably not seeing what others did
Really want to see more of Switta Schulz. They can be a small combo. We miss Switta’s forward pressure at times.
They are a duo of goal kicking cannon balls .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back