Review Dees v Tigers - the Good, Bad & Fugly on Anzac Day Eve - Rd 6, 2021

Another great line:

"Melbourne changing their game style to specially to beat Richmond like they did last night is very dangerous"

Absolutely filthy how wrong he was obviously.
I've found King can be a good analyst but he will always plant his flags at the start of the year and stick by them no matter how much evidence stacks up against it. He's still trying to bat for the Saints being contenders.

Last week he was raving about how great a team Richmond were and how their style would 'audit' other teams. But apparently now it doesn't count because we changed the way we played and they didn't have their star for a half??

I remember in 2011 he was off Geelong all year even in the week before the Grand Final he gave them no chance because they didn't have a bonafide key forward.

In the end Tom Hawkins announced himself in that game but it was an absurd take anyway as the Cats key forwards in '07 and '09 werent that great regardless.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I've found King can be a good analyst but he will always plant his flags at the start of the year and stick by them no matter how much evidence stacks up against it. He's still trying to bat for the Saints being contenders.

Last week he was raving about how great a team Richmond were and how their style would 'audit' other teams. But apparently now it doesn't count because we changed the way we played and they didn't have their star for a half??

I remember in 2011 he was off Geelong all year even in the week before the Grand Final he gave them no chance because they didn't have a bonafide key forward.

In the end Tom Hawkins announced himself in that game but it was an absurd take anyway as the Cats key forwards in '07 and '09 werent that great regardless.
There was a great video mash up of that on you tube somewhere

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Another great line:

"Melbourne changing their game style to specially to beat Richmond like they did last night is very dangerous"

Absolutely filthy how wrong he was obviously. 😂
The only time I felt we changed our game style was in the last quarter when we had a comfortable lead. We didn't play with as much risk because we didn't need to.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The only time I felt we changed our game style was in the last quarter when we had a comfortable lead. We didn't play with as much risk because we didn't need to.

It’s probably too nuanced for a new guy like me, but I honestly don’t get it. Other than not just bombing it out of our defensive end as much (which might be true but I’m not even sure if is), what did we change? We’ve always played a pressure game, with lots of quick “play ons” and a ton of handballing. So what was new exactly? Tagging dusty?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It’s probably too nuanced for a new guy like me, but I honestly don’t get it. Other than not just bombing it out of our defensive end as much (which might be true but I’m not even sure if is), what did we change? We’ve always played a pressure game, with lots of quick “play ons” and a ton of handballing. So what was new exactly? Tagging dusty?
Slow play, maintain the ball by hitting short targets. It seems rather simple but it's bloody hard for young sides to switch mid quarter. It's a real sign we are maturing into a proper team.

Richmond thrive on teams kicking it long and they out number you at contests, we drained their momentum and played it out way. Honestly as impressive a win as we've had for a decade or more

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Slow play, maintain the ball by hitting short targets. It seems rather simple but it's bloody hard for young sides to switch mid quarter. It's a real sign we are maturing into a proper team.

Richmond thrive on teams kicking it long and they out number you at contests, we drained their momentum and played it out way. Honestly as impressive a win as we've had for a decade or more
I wouldn't say this is new or a plan b every team would have a style to slow things down when momentum is against you. It's probably more that we haven’t needed to slow it down as much as we haven’t needed to. We've probably practice it heaps over the preseason and I think mark Williams has emphasised kicking as well. Come to think about it I reckon Richmond did a similar thing to hawthorn in 2015 when hawthorn were at their peak. Was Williams there at the time to?

He wasn't even talking bout that when he was talking about "changing our game style"

It was in reference to us using handball more in the back half this week than we had the previous 5 weeks.

Montagna said he was impressed with our game plan and thats the way to beat Richmond, don't bomb it into their defence at Grimes etc, run it at them, and King said, very dangerous to be changing what you're good at specifically for one team, shouldn't be tinkering with it.

It was a massive lol.

Last edited:

What happens when the auditor gets audited and fails miserably? Is he still regarded as an auditor? 😂

He wasn't even talking bout that when he was talking about "changing our game style"

It was in reference to us using handball more in the back half this week than we had the previous 5 weeks.

Montagna said he was impressed with our game plan and thats the way to beat Richmond, don't bomb it into their defence at Grimes etc, and King said, very dangerous to be changing what you're good at specifically for one team, shouldn't be tinkering with it.

It was a massive lol.
What does King think coaches should even be doing on gameday.

Normally don’t mind Kings analysis but as Bluelegs says he picks his favourites at the start of the year and rides them till the end. It isn’t like he hates Melbourne as he was really big on us in 2017/2018, he just sticks to his preseason predictions even if they look off.
Whenever he picks his premiership side before the season I know they're in trouble. I think he was on Saints this year, us in 2019 and Essendon in 2018.

Very enjoyable review Supermercado , good luck with seating in the future.👍

My favourite paragraph out this week though, delivering truth and comedy, Kade walking up to claim the medal would have been fantastic 😂😂
Speaking of Chandler, after being unused substitute for the second time he has now 'played' more games where he hasn't spent a minute on the ground than real ones. This further demonstrates what a farce it is to give senior games under those circumstances, but as long as we keep winning here's to him pocketing a premiership medal after sitting on his arse for four quarters. He should have walked up and claimed the Checker Hughes Medal when things got confusing

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
King picked us to win the flag in 2019 off the back of 2018 and we made him (and many others) look like a dolt. Hence his lateness to get on board now. He didn’t pick us to make the eight this year. Listening to him this morning on SEN he’s definitely starting to come ‘round. I quite enjoy his opinions but footy analysts are no better than economists at crystal ball gazing. Too many variables, too many unknowns.

King picked us to win the flag in 2019 off the back of 2018 and we made him (and many others) look like a dolt. Hence his lateness to get on board now. He didn’t pick us to make the eight this year. Listening to him this morning on SEN he’s definitely starting to come ‘round. I quite enjoy his opinions but footy analysts are no better than economists at crystal ball gazing. Too many variables, too many unknowns.
We’re nine wins away from top 4 and have beaten both the premiers and grand finalists. It’s get on board time.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This team is about to enter a period of success

So many blokes in the perfect age bracket
Here's the thing we aren't an ageing list like some opposition supporters have compared us to. We clearly overachieved in 2018 with a younger list. Most players in our current 22 are around the 25/26 age bracket which is ideal. Only two over 30s in hibberd and Jones the latter who will probably make way soon.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Age in brackets. On paper it looks like we are right in the sweet spot. 6 older blokes, 4 younger blokes and the rest in that primed 23-28yo range.

Hibberd (31) May (29) Tomlinson (27)

Hunt (26) Lever (25) Salem (25)

Langdon (26) Petracca (25) Rivers (19)

Melksham (29) McDonald (28) Spargo (21)

Fritsch (24) B.Brown (28) Pickett (19)

Gawn (29) Oliver (24) Viney (27)

Jackson (19) Brayshaw (25) Weideman (23) Neal-Bullen (25) Harmes (25) Jones (31)

Best part is we have a solid amount of talent in the 18-22 bracket as well. Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves and assume we’ll win flags etc but at the very least we need to keep building a positive culture etc and with some savvy development and trading and drafting give ourselves a shot to play finals most years for a generation like the Cats and Swans and even Adelaide (though obviously they haven’t won a flag) so we can win new fans over to the Dees.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
A decision on the TMac, Weid, B.Brown conundrum will be interesting. Something will eventually have to give there. Can’t play them all. If one has to be traded out to facilitate strengthening a different area of the 22, we’d have to look at it.

Brown is locked away ‘til 2024 so doubt he’ll be the one.

Back