Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its actually kind of shocking how much alike he is to Birchall. Birchall never got any wraps but was one of our most consistent, high performing players. I think the only time Birch got comments by the media was on game when he got 30 touches at 100% efficiency. Scrimshaw might not have quite as piercing kick as Birchall but is far better overhead and a lot cleaner in traffic when under pressure.

Scrimshaw is a pleasure to watch and I'm still shocked he couldn't find a way in our best 22 in the opening two rounds.
I have also been bemused as to why Jack often seems to find himself on the outer with our selection panel. He also seems to get little love from the coaching panel in the B&F.

Every single game I have seen him play for the club has been quality and he is always in our top 10 performers on game day.

I also think his toughness is undersold, you don't hold those overhead contested marks without being made of stern stuff.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think I might be Jack’s biggest fan.

Cant get my head around how undersold he is by the AFL media for what he does when he’s out on the park because he continuously shows that he’s got some absolute class, yet is never mentioned as one of our up and comers. It’s like he’s invisible to many.
His so dam smooth he becomes invisible to everyone around him - in all seriousness I’d say he will start getting some attention soon, is one of our best users

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have also been bemused as to why Jack often seems to find himself on the outer with our selection panel. He also seems to get little love from the coaching panel in the B&F.

Every single game I have seen him play for the club has been quality and he is always in our top 10 performers on game day.

I also think his toughness is undersold, you don't hold those overhead contested marks without being made of stern stuff.
He does a lot right from a spectators point of view. He must be doing something the coaches don’t like - maybe work rate to defend space, pressuring, etc that might be easily missed on first viewing.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

I don't think he is on the outer at. He's had problems getting his body right since before joining us. My understanding is that he is highly rated internally. Anyone know anything different?

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I don't think he is on the outer at. He's had problems getting his body right since before joining us. My understanding is that he is highly rated internally. Anyone know anything different?

interpreting T4P's post, perhaps he has an attitude problem/issue with his body and the way he goes about recovery etc? don't want to speculate though so lets just hope he gets to play 19 more games this year, each at a level we saw on monday

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Honestly I am only basing that statement on the fact that the coaching panel make him play a couple of games at box Hill after he gets injured whereas for me he is an automatic inclusion in our 22 if he is right to go.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scrim was monstered today when isolated on a tall, but this was still great.

Am more convinced after today that we'll see him play further up the ground as his career goes on. Was a very rough day for him given he was always taking someone with a few inches and 10+kgs but I think his ball use today was overall not terrible and has the ability to take it up a notch.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like Scrimshaw. Got talent and a lot of potential. But I like to see year on year improvement from a guy his age. So far this season we haven’t seen it. Worth giving him a look further up field

Scrim was monstered today when isolated on a tall, but this was still great.

I thought his last quarter was excellent. One of the plusses of TOB being back meant Scrimshaw wasn't asked to play heavier/taller/ In the last quarter I think I counted three intercept marks and a contest where he gathered his own crumb. Was what I've come to expect from him.

I like Scrimshaw. Got talent and a lot of potential. But I like to see year on year improvement from a guy his age. So far this season we haven’t seen it. Worth giving him a look further up field
Average 16 disposals last year at 68%. 3 score involvements and 4 marks.

In 2021, 17 disposals at 82%, 3 score involvements and 5 marks.

He's improved, and he's still only young.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grant Birchall somehow still plays for Hawthorn

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I think he's a decent young player but I'm not sure he has that A grade potential like I initially hoped. Obviously isn't KPP size, doesn't have the explosion to play midfield. Is however a decent Flanker in the Ryan Burton type variety.

I think he's a decent young player but I'm not sure he has that A grade potential like I initially hoped. Obviously isn't KPP size, doesn't have the explosion to play midfield. Is however a decent Flanker in the Ryan Burton type variety.

The frustrating part about the midfield comment is that the one time we've actually seen him in there he had a 12 disposal quarter.

He needs to become part of the rotation, he's too good in tight and we need a midfielder with some size who can belt the ball long.

Agree in part. He's a pretty good mark for his size.

Will need to add some minutes in the middle if he wants to go to the next level

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Average 16 disposals last year at 68%. 3 score involvements and 4 marks.

In 2021, 17 disposals at 82%, 3 score involvements and 5 marks.

He's improved, and he's still only young.
Longer games. I don’t think he’s yet improved on last year. Still young which is the point: want to see year on year improvement.

It’s not a knock. He’s a good player with a good future. Question is whether he can be better than good. I think he can be. Would like to see him deployed further afield to see if he can add a string to his bow (key defender isn’t in his tool kit). He’s someone I would be happy to see sending the ball inside 50, as opposed to most of our midfielders who are horrible ball users

Given our dreadful midfield stocks, the ability to develop and transition some of our half back talent into the middle will play a big part in how quickly we can improve as a side.

Last edited:

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We went in undersized and that hung Scim out to dry in the first half. Once TOB was moved back to combat Thilthorpe, Scim came into his own.

I think he's already a quality AFL player but you just feel he has a leap in him. Hopefully we see that in the back half of this year.
Longer games. I don’t think he’s yet improved on last year. Still young which is the point: want to see year on year improvement.

It’s not a knock. He’s a good player with a good future. Question is whether he can be better than good. I think he can be. Would like to see him deployed further afield to see if he can add a string to his bow (key defender isn’t in his tool kit). He’s someone I would be happy to see sending the ball inside 50, as opposed to most of our midfielders who are horrible ball users

Given our dreadful midfield stocks, the ability to develop and transition some of our half back talent into the middle will play a big part in how quickly we can improve as a side.
Agree, Scrim is a smooth mover, can navigate in traffic, and a polished user, so of the half back talent, he is my first choice to move into the middle. Perhaps he is still working to full match fitness for a mid field role after copping an injury in pre-season?

Back