Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

My god Blicavs is a turn over merchant - always gets caught and that kick backwards in the first quarter that lead to direct West Coast goal.... Wow... Terrible lol

Good to get the win though
It might surprise you to find out that Blicavs ranks as one of our lower turnover merchants at an average of 2.3 a game. 17th in fact. 9th for disposal efficiency.

He is ranked 16th for effective disposals.

This means he generally puts the ball in a position to the advantage of our team mates, but he isn't great at nailing a clean disposal on the chest.

We saw that on the weekend, but a turnover merchant he is not.

How on earth was Lachie Henderson almost done as an AFL player at the end of 2019? Best decision, or maybe it was the luckiest, was giving him a rookie contract for 2020 after Ryan Abbott left for St Kilda.

Might be left field, and I know it's still April, but I reckon he'd be in AA contention right now.

How on earth was Lachie Henderson almost done as an AFL player at the end of 2019? Best decision, or maybe it was the luckiest, was giving him a rookie contract for 2020 after Ryan Abbott left for St Kilda.

Might be left field, and I know it's still April, but I reckon he'd be in AA contention right now.
It is an odd one, because we didn't really have a proven kpd even in 2019 and Taylor was already ancient. He had had a string of injuries - knee, then plantar fascia - so maybe they thought he was cooked.

It is an odd one, because we didn't really have a proven kpd even in 2019 and Taylor was already ancient. He had had a string of injuries - knee, then plantar fascia - so maybe they thought he was cooked.

for all intents and purpose he was done:
- he hadn't played 20 games in a season since 2017, and that was only the second time in his 12 season career he had done so (12 seasons is to the end of 2019 & when he was delisted)
- his last 2 seasons with us at that stage had been ruined by injury & lack of opportunities with only 13 games played across those 2 seasons
- even though he's 3 years younger than Taylor, they were both drafted in 2007, they both made their senior debuts in round 2 2008 and come that preliminary final loss in 2019, Taylor had played 90 more games than Henderson

At that stage, only once in his career had Taylor played less than 20 games and that was his injury plagued 2018 but he bounced back for 24 games in 2019 - not really that surprising it was Taylor who was retained while Henderson was delisted

But maybe that short break from football and being able to go into a different mindset for even a month or two has helped to make the difference with his career and I'm glad we rookie listed him because Henderson has been a really valuable asset since returning

Last edited:
With Scott saying in his presser he wants to squeeze Sav in when he is good to go I wonder if he is playing with fire. It seemed like a really good balance yesterday between talls smalls and mediums.

However despite Blicavs' early stuff ups, we still need him to mark up on the taller KPF's and I really don't want to see Henry as our second ruck - so there is probably a case for him.

Blitz back to cover Kolo and Sav in?

It might surprise you to find out that Blicavs ranks as one of our lower turnover merchants at an average of 2.3 a game. 17th in fact. 9th for disposal efficiency.

He is ranked 16th for effective disposals.

This means he generally puts the ball in a position to the advantage of our team mates, but he isn't great at nailing a clean disposal on the chest.

We saw that on the weekend, but a turnover merchant he is not.
I think its a legacy of picking the game up late. In broken play it takes him a little longer than some to make a decision, and causes a fair few holding the balls. Not a turnover merchant but prone to clangers of judgement, not execution.

I can find more images of Enright being third man up if you like. There are literally hundreds of them.

He isn't debated as the best HBF of all time just for giggles.

This. It literally goes, amongst most circles, Scarlett/Silvagni, Rance, Fletcher, Enright (or Enright then Rance then Fletcher or Enright then Fletcher then Rance). Gonna take a very long time before Stewie reaches that sort of ridiculous standing in the history of the game.

2x B+F in Premiership years 2009 and 2011 (not even Dusty has achieved that) and 6 x AA including one at 34 years old. People forget how f*cking good Corey Enright was lol - but Stewie is basically is his clone, and every bit worthy of wearing the number 44 - which is definitely saying a hell of a lot!

:)

Last edited:
Stewart is as rock solid as they come.
One of the best kicks going around.
Should be captain next year IMO.

Have said this for a while - exudes all the qualities required, speaks so well to the media/players, is easy going but tough, incredibly skilled and an all round amazing person in every way. If there's anyone who should replace a leviathan captain like Sel - It's Stew.

We’d kicked 7 in a short amount of time, then McGovern got injured
He's already injured when the score was at 6.3 - we'd kicked four, but we kicked another six goals in the half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for all intensive purposes he was done:
- he hadn't played 20 games in a season since 2017, and that was only the second time in his 12 season career he had done so (12 seasons is to the end of 2019 & when he was delisted)
- his last 2 seasons with us at that stage had been ruined by injury & lack of opportunities with only 13 games played across those 2 seasons
- even though he's 3 years younger than Taylor, they were both drafted in 2007, they both made their senior debuts in round 2 2008 and come that preliminary final loss in 2019, Taylor had played 90 more games than Henderson

At that stage, only once in his career had Taylor played less than 20 games and that was his injury plagued 2018 but he bounced back for 24 games in 2019 - not really that surprising it was Taylor who was retained while Henderson was delisted

But maybe that short break from football and being able to go into a different mindset for even a month or two has helped to make the difference with his career and I'm glad we rookie listed him because Henderson has been a really valuable asset since returning

Should lose mod privileges for this...

There’s your problem: only valuing run down tackles.
I don’t value run downs that don’t end in a tackle. They are in fact a waste of energy And a negative attribute.

and despite people saying they effect the kick they well simply don’t. There is probably less then 5 times an entire game where a players disposal is effected by defensive pressure that doesn’t end in a tackle. As compared to the 60-90 tackles laid every week. It’s so insignificant it’s irrelevant to rate.

as for blocking space Ive seen no evidence that Rohan is any better at that then Dan Menzel.

He should never have been dumped by the club. Henderson is proof the club gets it plain wrong sometimes and big footy can get it right.

There are three G.Rohans that play for Geelong -
- the high impact Gary who is an offensive weapon, with superstar level one on one and pack marking and aggressive leading and tackling. May only have two or three bursts but really influences or even turns the game. That was Gary in 2nd Qtr yesterday and in most of his first 8 games for us.
- the integral team player Gary - constant menacing defensive run and tackling presence, with an over the top or crumbing goal to at least keep the opposition from launching attacking runs from deep defence
- the cannot get involved almost disinterested Gary. Few tackle attempts and little impact. Almost as if ‘lost’ or perhaps even little off colour.

I think nearly all Gary’s critics accept that even the ‘team player’ version is highly valuable. The problem is the number of performances that fall into the last category, in particular in finals - almost a liability.
I accept we don’t have anyone in VFL with Gary’s potential and that keeps him in, but the finals record alone means that it should be reasonable to question whether we should be putting games into a similar player like Jarvis. Perhaps with Jez coming in, Rohan will be more a consistent contributor and have impact in finals.
Thé team player version is largely a myth. It shows up for a quarter once every 5 weeks.

The Rohan argument really is a case of arguing against the blind and the stupid. Whenever he has a bad game you get the sarcastic remarks mocking the “what he does off the ball” but it really is true. His forward pressure is relentless.

Noticeable how easy the Hawks and Dees were able to move the ball out of defence in his absence. He won’t come close to being dropped and so long as Cameron and Hawkins stay fit he will thrive getting the 3rd defender.

Either pick a small nippy backman to match his explosiveness and he will outleap his man or go taller and he will run him ragged.
Show us the stats that show relentless foward pressure? Just saying its so does not make it so. There are so many stats out there now that they would definitely show up. Ive never seen any. The only stats I see suggests he is barely any better at defensive pressure then menzel.

Hawkins really plays like a midfielder when the ball is on the ground. Good positioning, quick reactions, clean hands, brilliant disposal, amazing vision - I almost prefer him crumbing than our smalls.
Hé is incredibly underrated in this area. one of the best field kicks in the team and one of the best at a ground ball contest if the ball is at his feet.

was our functional forward line.

Cameron in released Hawkins and Rohan, made our forward line more dynamic and predictable for our midfielders to kick to.

How many entries got easily rebounded by Melbourne, North, Hawthorn etc.
It released Rohan. Hawkins performed better when Cameron was off the ground. Only one game though. They will work it out.

That's fine. It is evidence though. What have you got to prove he wasn't?
no it isn’t Evidence. That’s my point. Is 66 goals evidence he hit the score board regularly? No it’s not. 100 images of going up at a marking contest, and we are assuming you actually have them, is not evidence of him being a good third man up. It’s only one effort every three games. A good third man up would contest atleast 10 marking contests every game. Not 0.3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back