Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I get that ..but they are feeling good about prospects ... I guess Im not as fussed as if it came from other clubs....

I'm not fussed at all, no matter who it's from.

Remarkable how some fans seem to think they get to tell other fans how they ought to act. Would expect it from Hawthorn or Carlton, didn't ever expect it from Geelong fans though.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not fussed at all, no matter who it's from.

Remarkable how some fans seem to think they get to tell other fans how they ought to act. Would expect it from Hawthorn or Carlton, didn't ever expect it from Geelong fans though.
We’re all the same in the end. Such a wide spectrum of fans for every single club. Some who scream and abuse players, some who rant and vent online, some who are apathetic, some who are happy no matter what. All who genuinely care and genuinely believe that they are right.

So what if the Dees fans are offering advice in drafting, at the moment, they are enjoying that high and that optimism and they absolutely deserve it.

From you know which Board:

'Bullshit
I want a top 10 pick
Just makes me hate Geelong even more'

If ever there was an incentive to finish as high as possible on the ladder.....

From you know which Board:

'Bullshit
I want a top 10 pick
Just makes me hate Geelong even more'

If ever there was an incentive to finish as high as possible on the ladder.....
They gave us pick 20. Would be good to take the whole thing this year, then have Merrett go as a free agent, Daicos gets a top 5 bid, then maybe another bid or free agent move and it ends up later than 20

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
One like the one we had against the crows would do it
Like the one the Hawks had V Adelaide last year would do it.
Crows lost by 69, 51, 24, 57, 28 before beating the Hawks.
No real indicators they would win besides playing at home but the Hawks were on a 4 game losing streak.

But if they could wait 2 weeks and roll Hawks down in Tassie that would be super.

That said with the losing streak Collingwood is on wouldn't be surprised if they scalp them. If not Maybe North can get the Saints at Marvel Stadium (rd11) or the Suns in Tassie (rd16).

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve got no qualms with Dees supporters being up and about. They have been starved of success, their club has largely been free of dickheads so that has endeared them to me a bit.

one thing I can’t stand is ANYONE from any club saying ‘Geelong needs to draft better or get higher picks.’

why? Why do we? We’ve been a shandy off a premiership basically since our last one, doing it the way we have. Half the clubs in the competition are walking proof that going to multiple drafts with a good hand of picks means nothing. Our ‘crisis’ equates to sitting in fourth with a 4-2 record and good percentage, having had multiple games missed by four of our nominal best 7-8 players.

I don’t begrudge fans having a go at us for not being able to play our best in finals over the last decade but telling us that our method is wrong and we need to change is a bit rich

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I wouldn't be talking up Melbourne too much to be honest, always the chance the Dogs and Dees burn out by Rd 15 and limp into finals. Wouldn't be the first team to limp into finals after starting strong.

Ive seen some people compare the Dogs and Dees and that both teams could be undefeated come Rd 11 and it could be like Cats/Saints in 09. But those two teams in 09 were finals hardened teams that in our case had 1 flag and 2 GF appearances, and would win 2 more, with the Saints being in 3 GFs in the years to come.

I think the Dees and Dogs burn out.

I’ve got no qualms with Dees supporters being up and about. They have been starved of success, their club has largely been free of dickheads so that has endeared them to me a bit.

one thing I can’t stand is ANYONE from any club saying ‘Geelong needs to draft better or get higher picks.’

why? Why do we? We’ve been a shandy off a premiership basically since our last one, doing it the way we have. Half the clubs in the competition are walking proof that going to multiple drafts with a good hand of picks means nothing. Our ‘crisis’ equates to sitting in fourth with a 4-2 record and good percentage, having had multiple games missed by four of our nominal best 7-8 players.

I don’t begrudge fans having a go at us for not being able to play our best in finals over the last decade but telling us that our method is wrong and we need to change is a bit rich
'Going to the draft' is just a coping mechanism fans of s**t teams tell themselves when they're anchored to the bottom of the ladder. AFL is an elite sport where millions of dollars are to be made, success takes many methods but the only hope teams like Carlton and Melbourne have had for 2 decades is the potential to draft a future champion.

The reason people keep saying the Cats need to go the draft is because thats what they've been telling themselves for years. It's akin to people announcing 'the cliff is coming' regarding the Cats future for about 12 years.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
'Going to the draft' is just a coping mechanism fans of sh*t teams tell themselves when they're anchored to the bottom of the ladder. AFL is an elite sport where millions of dollars are to be made, success takes many methods but the only hope teams like Carlton and Melbourne have had for 2 decades is the potential to draft a future champion.

The reason people keep saying the Cats need to go the draft is because thats what they've been telling themselves for years. It's akin to people announcing 'the cliff is coming' regarding the Cats future for about 12 years.
To be fair though Richmond were a basket case and lucked out drafting players who under achieved and then became elite i.e Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and had a coach that found a gameplan that exploited his teams positives. Can't predict that.

To be fair though Richmond were a basket case and lucked out drafting players who under achieved and then became elite i.e Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and had a coach that found a gameplan that exploited his teams positives. Can't predict that.
That's true and it's also how the 07-11 team was built and similar with Hawthorn 13-15. Looking at the Hawthorn and Richmond teams though they both also traded in many many players that contributed to their ongoing success, Hawks with Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Frawley, McEvoy, Gunston, Hale and Richmond with Houli, Nank, Prestia, Caddy, Lynch. Replace those 5 Richmond players with 5 draftees and they're probably not a premiership team. All the nuffs who cry about Geelong continually recruiting established players a just hoping Geelong decides to 'go to the draft' because it means we'll finally stop being competative all the time.

I wouldn't be talking up Melbourne too much to be honest, always the chance the Dogs and Dees burn out by Rd 15 and limp into finals. Wouldn't be the first team to limp into finals after starting strong.

Ive seen some people compare the Dogs and Dees and that both teams could be undefeated come Rd 11 and it could be like Cats/Saints in 09. But those two teams in 09 were finals hardened teams that in our case had 1 flag and 2 GF appearances, and would win 2 more, with the Saints being in 3 GFs in the years to come.

Yeah I think the dees probably have more positional depth and could be there at the pointy end. They have a solid list and a fairly conventional game. There's some flexibility they have to make changes if it all goes against them.

Dogs are thrashing sides with their midfield which is outstanding on the inside but if you're winning with one string to your bow there's a risk you can get outcoached at some point and then that gets replicated. 50/50 on them. If their backline relies on Ryan Gardner and their forward line on Josh Bruce then there's weaknesses to work with

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I think the dees probably have more positional depth and could be there at the pointy end. They have a solid list and a fairly conventional game. There's some flexibility they have to make changes if it all goes against them.
. If their backline relies on Ryan Gardner and their forward line on Josh Bruce then there's weaknesses to work with

Very good point

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Geelong in 2009 were definitely nothing like either the Dogs or Melbourne this year. Neither have made Grand finals the last two years. But St.Kilda were far from proven during 2009. They'd made finals, but been consistently underwhelming in an awful lot of them. Their best finals form was ahead of them.

They might burn out, you might be right. But the same things could have been said - and were - about us in 2007. No one knows.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
'Going to the draft' is just a coping mechanism fans of sh*t teams tell themselves when they're anchored to the bottom of the ladder. AFL is an elite sport where millions of dollars are to be made, success takes many methods but the only hope teams like Carlton and Melbourne have had for 2 decades is the potential to draft a future champion.

Then why did we do it? We were never anchored to the bottom of the ladder but Thompson (with Wells' assistance) made it top priority. I seem to recall it worked ok.

Then why did we do it? We were never anchored to the bottom of the ladder but Thompson (with Wells' assistance) made it top priority. I seem to recall it worked ok.
We weren't anchored to the bottom but we weren't looking dangerous for a flag either back in 99.

For us to go that route now would mean pushing out a Parfitt or a Clark for picks. Surely not when you're going top 4

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Dogs are thrashing sides with their midfield which is outstanding on the inside but if you're winning with one string to your bow there's a risk you can get outcoached at some point and then that gets replicated. 50/50 on them. If their backline relies on Ryan Gardner and their forward line on Josh Bruce then there's weaknesses to work with
I’ve been saying that for a while about the dogs defence which may not hold up in finals , with the Dees it wouldn’t shock me if they have a good final series , but I still hold even money they will along with the dogs eventually run out of gas.

But you have made good points about the Dees depth and gameplan which may help them if they do find themselves in trouble towards the finals....time will tell I guess I’m still not ruling out the old guards from being successful just yet.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Geelong in 2009 were definitely nothing like either the Dogs or Melbourne this year. Neither have made Grand finals the last two years. But St.Kilda were far from proven during 2009. They'd made finals, but been consistently underwhelming in an awful lot of them. Their best finals form was ahead of them.

They might burn out, you might be right. But the same things could have been said - and were - about us in 2007. No one knows.

Thats true, but Saints made Prelims in 04, 05, EF final in 06, just missed finals in 07, PF 08 before GF in 09 and 10.
So you could see over a long window Saints had a list that kept their top end talent, and were at the tail end each year over a 7 year window bar 2 years. You could also see they had elite talent like Riewoldt who had proven himself over and over.

Demons have made finals twice since 2005, and turned their list over a billion times since then.
And the Dogs since winning a flag have kept a lot of the key players from 2016 in their team but since 2016 have bottled 2 EF and done * all else.

Saints going into 2009 were pretty battle hardened. I didn't expect them to make the GF (I was sure they'd bottle the PF) but I had no doubts they would be in the final 4.

I still think Melbourne or the Dogs will get the wobbles bad at some point this season. Both will make finals. One will straight sets.

How did you manage to bold part of my post without even reading it? I didn't say we didn't do it, or we shouldn't. Read my post again and dial down the snark

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
How did you manage to bold part of my post without even reading it? I didn't say we didn't do it, or we shouldn't. Read my post again and dial down the snark

I did read it. Here's your entire post:

Don't exactly see in that where you said anything about Geelong going to the draft. You made it pretty clear sides who go to the draft are s**t. A coping mechanism in fact.

Now, very important, do I need to check that with you before I post? Seeing as you think you can tell me what to write.

And I'll be as snarky as I like, and I most certainly will ignore (and treat with contempt) any instructions from you.

I did read it. Here's your entire post:

Don't exactly see in that where you said anything about Geelong going to the draft. You made it pretty clear sides who go to the draft are sh*t. A coping mechanism in fact.

Now, very important, do I need to check that with you before I post? Seeing as you think you can tell me what to write.

And I'll be as snarky as I like, and I most certainly will ignore (and treat with contempt) any instructions from you.
Yes, I said it was a coping mechanism for fans of s**t teams, I didn't say good teams don't also go to the draft. As you said I didn't mention Geelong going to the draft as you implied in your previous post, so not exactly sure what your problem is? Should I provide every caveat and total explanation in everything I post and leave nothing to be implied?

No I disagree about St Kilda not be finals hardened in 09, at that point they had made finals in 4 of the previous 5 years including 3 preliminary finals.

In comparison Bulldogs obviously won the flag 5 years ago but haven't won a single final since and Melbourne has only made finals once in 5 years.

Yes, I said it was a coping mechanism for fans of sh*t teams, I didn't say good teams don't also go to the draft. As you said I didn't mention Geelong going to the draft as you implied in your previous post, so not exactly sure what your problem is? Should I provide every caveat and total explanation in everything I post and leave nothing to be implied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back