Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
I suspect Daniel's suffering from a bit of burn out.
Dream scenario for me would be a battle ready duo of MJR and Stack replacing Daniel and Aarts.
In the meantime, I'd like them to return Daniel to the ressies (and trial him as a wingman) and try a replacement pressure forward (Baker/Mansell or another young one).

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
Someone under no pressure waltzing thru the middle sees Rioli one out with Lever.
Decision: Kick it high to them both. Easy mark to Lever.
Same qtr I think, same scenario. But Lever v Costagna.
Decision: Rinse. Repeat.

Sums up the frustration for me. Our heads were messed up, did not think clearly. I reckon it's perceived pressure.

Rioli/Castagna v Lever...kick it to grass FFS.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Someone under no pressure waltzing thru the middle sees Rioli one out with Lever.
Decision: Kick it high to them both. Easy mark to Lever.
Same qtr I think, same scenario. But Lever v Costagna.
Decision: Rinse. Repeat.

Sums up the frustration for me. Our heads were messed up, did not think clearly. I reckon it's perceived pressure.

Rioli/Castagna v Lever...kick it to grass FFS.

Hardwick said in the presser we played like it was wet weather footy and it really wasn’t that wet, you could certainly mark it. I guess this is the sort of thing he meant. In a truly wet match kicking it high not such a problem because marking is not so easy. But on the night, you are correct, give the forawrd a chance.

Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man U, Chicago Bulls, Anaheim Ducks
Showing the signs of a player who’s out of love with the game, lost the passion/desire

Watching the video the club put out to celebrate 100games

Excitement, Desire, Pressure, Agile, Freak

Words you can’t describe him as a player right now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Showing the signs of a player who’s out of love with the game, lost the passion/desire

Watching the video the club put out to celebrate 100games

Excitement, Desire, Pressure, Agile, Freak

Words you can’t describe him as a player right now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His lack of instinctive footy is a huge concern. Players like Betts & Milne were able to spend their whole careers looking like the most likely guy on the field who could tear the game apart. I honestly can't remember the last time, if any, Daniel did that. I think he needs to spend a month in the VFL as a midfielder. He needs to add a string to his bo to either re-ignite his passion for the contest, or to possibly extend his career. Based on his long term form, his days as a pure forward are numbered

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't necessarily blame him if he's burnt out like some are saying it happens to most players and noting he's won 3 flags and been to the afl promised land 3 more times than most, you can understand it.

He's always been hot and cold though, the slight concern I have is that he doesn't look as quick anymore, wonder if he's carrying something this year.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't necessarily blame him if he's burnt out like some are saying it happens to most players and noting he's won 3 flags and been to the afl promised land 3 more times than most, you can understand it.

He's always been hot and cold though, the slight concern I have is that he doesn't look as quick anymore, wonder if he's carrying something this year.

By the same token, if he is 'burned out', he needs to either throw the hand up and say so, or the club needs to make a hard, but easy call and rest him.
The club is doing him a great disservice by continuing to play him.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Ive defended him often but there’s no way he should be holding others from opportunities such as naish and Hugo. His ability in 1/1 is absolutely woeful, he should be squaring most at a minimum and forcing a stoppage ,occasionally lays a good tackle , these are becoming rarer , melb backs absolutely flogged us. If we don’t adress it JJ will get 44p

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
needs to be traded by the end of the year. Otherwise he gets pushed out next year and his value drops from first rounder to 3rd.... Can train any fast player to do his role

I can’t imagine any club offering more than what we got for Butler, frankly probably far less. In fact his most marketable asset is his surname and how when you have a Rioli on your list premierships nearly always seem to follow.

Still banking on the superstitiousness of club list managers to get a decent return is a pretty dismal state of affairs. I just can’t see any happy endings for Richmond apart from freeing up cap space and a list spot if D.Rioli leaves.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Nobody on this forum knows 100% what role he is being asked to play, and whether he’s performing that role to the satisfaction of the match committee.
he’s been no worse than many of our other premiership players, yet because he’s getting low possessions, he’s the easy target of many on this forum, it’s a joke and total disrespect for a 3 time Tiger premiership hero.
My only doubt on him, as I don’t know his exact role, is that he’s been fumbling a bit, but then again, especially against the Shemons, he was not the only one. The whole side played, like Dimma said, like it was a wet weather game, the oppo were so much cleaner.
If Dan gets dropped, so be it, but there’s plenty of others getting a game at present that should be dropped too for underperforming.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
He’s useless atm. Playing 2 men down with him and Aarts is not a good start. Haven’t seen a player fumble like Daniel in a long time.
Dimma needs to send him back to the twos for an extended period and Aarts can go forever.
Give some young mods a crack this week and send Trent forward with MRJ.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
needs to be traded by the end of the year. Otherwise he gets pushed out next year and his value drops from first rounder to 3rd.... Can train any fast player to do his role
You cannot honestly think he's worth a first rounder right now or that anyone would pay that for him.

Go pop that on the trades board and you'll see an idea of how realistic that is.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
He’s useless atm. Playing 2 men down with him and Aarts is not a good start. Haven’t seen a player fumble like Daniel in a long time.
Dimma needs to send him back to the twos for an extended period and Aarts can go forever.
Give some young mods a crack this week and send Trent forward with MRJ.
Hmm Kamdyn says hello.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Nobody on this forum knows 100% what role he is being asked to play, and whether he’s performing that role to the satisfaction of the match committee.
he’s been no worse than many of our other premiership players, yet because he’s getting low possessions, he’s the easy target of many on this forum, it’s a joke and total disrespect for a 3 time Tiger premiership hero.
My only doubt on him, as I don’t know his exact role, is that he’s been fumbling a bit, but then again, especially against the Shemons, he was not the only one. The whole side played, like Dimma said, like it was a wet weather game, the oppo were so much cleaner.
If Dan gets dropped, so be it, but there’s plenty of others getting a game at present that should be dropped too for underperforming.
Name the 'plenty' that should be dropped for their underperforming this year so far who have been 'no worse'. I bet you cant.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
thought his game against the dogs a typical Rioli game. very liitle out put, with a few good things but mostly very little coming from his involvement with him being mostly ineffective when he is involved. I thought his mate Castagna just as ineffective as well.

When you see the impact blokes like Bolton Graham Baker and not so much on friday edwards are having when forward compared to those two and it is poles apart.
Thought Aarts had a real dip while lacking in some areas at times.

qldtiger1

Senior List
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
thought his game against the dogs a typical Rioli game. very liitle out put, with a few good things but mostly very little coming from his involvement with him being mostly ineffective when he is involved. I thought his mate Castagna just as ineffective as well.

When you see the impact blokes like Bolton Graham Baker and not so much on friday edwards are having when forward compared to those two and it is poles apart.
Thought Aarts had a real dip while lacking in some areas at times.

I can’t believe how often our small forwards and others Macintosh Pickett(until his role changed) and particularly Rioli are discussed in this light- our game play requires some of our small forwards to sacrifice there game for the team and others play a different role Bolton & Graham-
OUR GAME PLAN WINS US GAMES!!!!

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I can’t believe how often our small forwards and others Macintosh Pickett(until his role changed) and particularly Rioli are discussed in this light- our game play requires some of our small forwards to sacrifice there game for the team and others play a different role Bolton & Graham-
OUR GAME PLAN WINS US GAMES!!!!
Yeah yeah yeah heard it all before hes not there to get a kick or have an impact hes there to guard space and run lol.

Back