Review Round 6, 2021 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1111777

Ouch?

(no idea how to make the photo smaller either)

Tough for him to be ready by Saturday. They might have changed the staples to stitches as they heal faster (according to my ICU nurse daughters), but the wound still gets disturbed.

What a shocker of an injury list. Don't seem to get quite so banged up during the season against the top form teams but seems to happen when a not going well team gets the wind up them. Maybe they go harder but can't control as well so more collisions.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Damien Barrett trying to claim Lachie Neale should have been suspended. His whole argument hinged on the suggestion that Lachie was trying to demand a free kick.

It's obvious to anyone with even half a clue about the game (i.e. not Damien Barrett) that Neale was trying to get Nicholls to call for the blood-rule.

Zero chance of "Damo" admitting he got it wrong when this is inevitably pointed out to him.

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Damien Barrett trying to claim Lachie Neale should have been suspended. His whole argument hinged on the suggestion that Lachie was trying to demand a free kick.

It's obvious to anyone with even half a clue about the game (i.e. not Damien Barrett) that Neale was trying to get Nicholls to call for the blood-rule.

Zero chance of "Damo" admitting he got it wrong when this is inevitably pointed out to him.
The way I saw it was Neale demanding some protection from the umpires.

ManeMan

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts

I know that's what Lachie has later come out and said he was doing, and wisely so, but it certainly seemed to me like he was annoyed it hadn't earnt him a free kick. I imagine he was pointing to his head asking "How do.you think this happened?", hoping to get a free kick, but fully aware he was going to be sent off with the blood rule. Either way, it wasn't a great look to be touching the umpire like that. I don't think it deserves a suspension though.

Barrett made a strange point about Lachie being out with the ankle injury, saying the AFL should have already determined that before the Lions released that info. How would they know that? We as fans didn't realise the severity of the injury until the media release. More importantly, what's that got to do with handing him a suspension? "He's already out injured so you should have suspended him". Righto mate.

I know that's what Lachie has later come out and said he was doing, and wisely so, but it certainly seemed to me like he was annoyed it hadn't earnt him a free kick. I imagine he was pointing to his head asking "How do.you think this happened?", hoping to get a free kick, but fully aware he was going to be sent off with the blood rule. Either way, it wasn't a great look to be touching the umpire like that. I don't think it deserves a suspension though.

Barrett made a strange point about Lachie being out with the ankle injury, saying the AFL should have already determined that before the Lions released that info. How would they know that? We as fans didn't realise the severity of the injury until the media release. More importantly, what's that got to do with handing him a suspension? "He's already out injured so you should have suspended him". Righto mate.
I haven't heard Barrett's whinge, but I actually was thinking along the same lines.

- Lachie's touch of the umpire was not violent, but he looked cranky. Regardless of his intent (which was not harmful) it isn't a good look
- It is absolutely imperative that community footballers are under no illusion of there being allowable umpire contact
- high profile player, he won't be back next two weeks because of injury, and to be honest, especially if he's out for a few, he's not looking like back-to-back Brownlow.

In Lachie's position, I'd rather a 2 week suspension (cost: zero) than lose money out of my pocket (cost: $1500). AFL would prefer the message thst sends to community players that they will come down hard on even minimal cases.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Carlton copping an absolute pasting from the media again post-game but I don't think they played badly at all, they don't look too far off everything clicking. They have a few passengers though.

Probably just need more than 1 forward

Would look a lot better with less injuries too

Carlton copping an absolute pasting from the media again post-game but I don't think they played badly at all, they don't look too far off everything clicking. They have a few passengers though.
It’s at that point where Honourable losses can’t be accepted anymore.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Fair enough but last two weeks lost against Port and us, 2 (hopefully) flag contenders in decent form. They were clear outsiders in each game. This week will be a good test because they're playing a team that they should beat.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably just need more than 1 forward

Would look a lot better with less injuries too
dont rate McGovern or Casboult too highly, unfortunately their other young gun forward Curnow has been out for awhile with knee issues and De Koning is still developing and out injured. I had them as my big improvers for 2021 being just outside the 8, but not know.

I think the photo that's been published helped neale. He used the back of his fingers/hand on the umpires upper arm. Holding his arm would've been aggressive and I reckon it would've upgraded the charges.
He was very careful NOT to get blood on the umpire, which looked like part of the reason for using the back of the hand too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven't heard Barrett's whinge, but I actually was thinking along the same lines.

- Lachie's touch of the umpire was not violent, but he looked cranky. Regardless of his intent (which was not harmful) it isn't a good look
- It is absolutely imperative that community footballers are under no illusion of there being allowable umpire contact
- high profile player, he won't be back next two weeks because of injury, and to be honest, especially if he's out for a few, he's not looking like back-to-back Brownlow.

In Lachie's position, I'd rather a 2 week suspension (cost: zero) than lose money out of my pocket (cost: $1500). AFL would prefer the message thst sends to community players that they will come down hard on even minimal cases.

I don't disagree that he was both having a whinge about the free and pointing out that he needed to go off.

But the guidelines state that suspension is only for 'aggressive, forceful, demonstrative or disrespectful' contact with an umpire, otherwise a fine is the sanction. So pretty clearly a fine here imo.

They got Saad and Williams, that's a move you make when you're in finals mode. Problem is, any new additions will take some time to fit in - I'd say 12 months at least. It did happen for Dogs with Bruce and Keath too.

I don't think the Blues fans are willing to wait though.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They got Saad and Williams, that's a move you make when you're in finals mode. Problem is, any new additions will take some time to fit in - I'd say 12 months at least. It did happen for Dogs with Bruce and Keath too.

Blues have a few injuries as well I do not think people take into account
1619405047520.png

Our forward line is not exactly firing with the addition of Daniher either.

Our forward line is not exactly firing with the addition of Daniher either.

I've given ourselves till mid-season or late this year to find our groove. Liking what I'm seeing once McStay came back. Now just need to get more games together to click into gear.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay’s second game back after an extended run out of the side.
He will be better for the run.
Last week was a hard slog in the wet too.
Yes I'm giving him a pass for all those factors despite what it looked like.

But he has to step up this year. Hipwood has really improved and Joe takes a lot of heat off . He needs to really improve as well.

Back