List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thought you might like to have this resource on your board (scuse the intrusion!) – mods might like to sticky it so it's visible at the top of the thread

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would Ross even get us a band 3 (2nd rounder)?

He is a shadow of his former self and band 3 is what the Crows got for Crouch.

I'd let him go for that. Start backing in Clark, Bytel and Byrnes to take his spot.

Letting Billings go for any less than band one is stupid and he won't get us that.

Can't see why we'd even mention trading Jones when he's our only mid with leg speed.

Edit: it was Lones not Jones. Don't see the point in delisting him. He's currently in our 22, ideally he becomes depth but what happens if we have 2 or 3 injuries up forward like we have down back?

We will have enough players to replace already and Lonie gets us nothing but a very late pick in a trade.

Dunstan will get delisted.
I dunno gringo's view, but I don't think we can have this 3 small forward setup long term and I would argue even now.
Whilst Lonie has his good points, I really do think having him in the team is keeping better players like Butts and Batts out of their best positions.
I'm running with Butts as our mainstay, then Snaggs and Gresh rotating through, with JB as high HF.

If we're gonna take a bunch of kids in the mid season and national drafts then we can look at some zippy small forward types also.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I dunno gringo's view, but I don't think we can have this 3 small forward setup long term and I would argue even now.
Whilst Lonie has his good points, I really do think having him in the team is keeping better players like Butts and Batts out of their best positions.
I'm running with Butts as our mainstay, then Snaggs and Gresh rotating through, with JB as high HF.

If we're gonna take a bunch of kids in the mid season and national drafts then we can look at some zippy small forward types also.
If we are taking zippy small forwards in the draft it's going to be unlikely they'll be ready to go day one.

If we get injuries to two of Butler, Higgins or Gresh we are in strife.

Just have a look at how our depth has been tested in the back half.

Fair chance we already say goodbye to the likes of Frawley, Hunter, Dunstan, McKernan, Wood, Geary, Kent, Roberton etc

Its not as though we are going to be tight for list spots so it doesn't make sense to delist a fringe player and get nothing for him. I doubt we'd get a lot in a trade.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we are taking zippy small forwards in the draft it's going to be unlikely they'll be ready to go day one.

If we get injuries to two of Butler, Higgins or Gresh we are in strife.

Just have a look at how our depth has been tested in the back half.

Fair chance we already say goodbye to the likes of Frawley, Hunter, Dunstan, McKernan, Wood, Geary, Kent, Roberton etc

Its not as though we are going to be tight for list spots so it doesn't make sense to delist a fringe player and get nothing for him. I doubt we'd get a lot in a trade.
Yes it would depend what's offered in trade.
I guess in my preferred scenario I would like us to roll whatever we've got into securing another first round pick this year, even if it's the last pick of the round again. I'd be more than happy to roll Ross, Lonie and our 3rd round pick into pick say 18, so for me it's about the end outcome and not the individual trade.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes it would depend what's offered in trade.
I guess in my preferred scenario I would like us to roll whatever we've got into securing another first round pick this year, even if it's the last pick of the round again. I'd be more than happy to roll Ross, Lonie and our 3rd round pick into pick say 18, so for me it's about the end outcome and not the individual trade.
Can't see how that happens. Ross is a FA, at very best he gets us band 3.

Can't see a club willing to trade down to thst pick for a GOP and a nothing late pick unfortunately.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can't see how that happens. Ross is a FA, at very best he gets us band 3.

Can't see a club willing to trade down to thst pick for a GOP and a nothing late pick unfortunately.
You never know.
The recent volatility in pick trading particularly on draft night is gonna stay a pattern and the old ways are out the window. I don't think it's right to say what realistic anymore, coz if a club needs points for academy players it's always on..
A 2nd and 2x 3rds will get you a late 1st under the right circumstances.

I also like from a strategic view as it should be a good crop this year, and it lets us have the flexibility to trade out 2 first round picks next year which is perhaps advantageous.

SWSainter

Debutant
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
This kid sounds the most likely to go inside the first round of all the key defenders. Has pushed forward this year though but can obviously play either end

Rhett Bazzo

Club: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Position: Key Defender

Size: 194cm, 74kg

Foxfooty.com.au says: Bazzo turns 18 in October, with clubs hoping there’s plenty of development left in the tall. His intercept marking is exceptional and he will be one of the first few West Australians called out on draft night.
Great pedigree, grandfather a Swan District legend IIRC.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pardon the intrusion if it’s a key defender that you blokes are looking for keep an eye on josh gibcus 195cm plays for GWVR in nab league and has bolted up draft boards. Bazzo is more of a forward now as well.
Correct, Gibcus has been named Fullback in every team of the week so far in the NAB League

Great year.

Don't jinx us, we can pick the only turd in a chocolate factory. We'll find a diabetic 32 year old with a bung knee and some solid form in a state league playing as an undersized ruckman and try to turn him into a back pocket ignoring the potential superstar because he owns a mirror and has a mullet.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Don't jinx us, we can pick the only turd in a chocolate factory. We'll find a diabetic 32 year old with a bung knee and some solid form in a state league playing as an undersized ruckman and try to turn him into a back pocket ignoring the potential superstar because he owns a mirror and has a mullet.
Maybe we will select the introverted late bloomer who is a virgin?

has to turn eventually. Drafted like Clavarino and LewisPearce. Leaves like Dusty.

probably get a movie deal if that happens.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is the top 10 Knightmare did about a month back I think. Obviously Daicos goes higher than that. Either 1 or 2. Sonsie hasn't had a great start to the year but is rated highly.

1. Jason Horne
Widely viewed as the front-runner for pick No. 1 is South Australian Jason Horne. Horne is a goalkicking midfielder who influences games both as a midfielder and forward. Horne plays with the class of a Gary Ablett Jnr, taking on the game with his run, evading opponents with ease and hurting the opposition with his ball use. Through the midfield he is a strong contested ball winner while as a forward, not only is Horne damaging with ball in hand, he's a strong marking threat both aerially and in contested situations.

2. Matthew Roberts
Also a goalkicking midfielder, Roberts kicked eight majors over his last four SANFL Under-18 matches. Roberts is damaging both through the midfield and as a forward. Through the midfield, Roberts plays a well-rounded game; he possesses an ideal inside/outside balance, is a strong contested ball winner, an elite endurance runner who covers a lot of ground, spreads well from stoppages and uses the ball effectively on his left foot. As a forward, Roberts shows good smarts and is a threat both overhead and at ground level. He hurts opponents not only by hitting the scoreboard himself but also with his clean forward 50 entries.

3. Matthew Johnson
A tall, ball winning midfielder at 192cm, Johnson combines ball winning capabilities with composure, class and evasion in traffic. Johnson plays a style of football resembling Scott Pendlebury and shares many of the same rare gifts for a tall midfielder. By hand and foot Johnson hits his targets, with his vision and decision-making additional strengths. Johnson wins a high proportion of his ball in contested situations and connects on his tackles.

4. Josh Rachele
A goalkicking midfielder, Rachele is a capable ball winner who possesses an explosive burst of speed out of stoppages. Rachele was awarded the Kevin Sheehan Medal for the best Division One player during the Under-16 Championships in 2019. At this stage, Rachele plays his best football across half-forward, though this year he will be aiming to spend more time through the middle. Rachele averaged 18 disposals while kicking eight goals during his four NAB League matches in 2019, which speaks to how advanced he was two years out from being draft eligible.

5. Nick Daicos
Arguably more talented than his older brother Josh, Nick Daicos is eligible to join Collingwood as a father-son selection (son of Peter). Nick is the taller of the two brothers and is the far more advanced footballer at the same age. Nick is a natural playmaker with ball in hand with the way he uses the ball to bring teammates into the game and runs with the ball. As you would expect from a Daicos, he possesses precise skills on both feet and is a damaging kick inside 50.

6. Tyler Sonsie
The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the very best kicks inside 50 in this year's draft pool, his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure are his points of difference. Sonsie is a smart footballer who combines his skills with line-breaking capabilities.

7. Josh Sinn
Captain of Vic Metro's Under-16 premiership winning group, Sinn looks at his most damaging across half-back. Sinn generates drive from defence with his run and carry and clean ball use on his left foot, but while he is most recognised for this, he can push up through the midfield in either an outside or inside role. Sinn can win some of his own ball, but it's his outside run and endurance that stand out most.

8. Campbell Chesser
A speedy half-back flanker, Chesser generates substantial drive from defence and on the outside with his run and penetrating kick. Chesser combines this with intercepting capabilities. While looking most comfortable across half-back at this stage, it is expected that we see Chesser looking to develop his ball winning capabilities this year so that he can push through the midfield more.

9. Braden Andrews
A utility who has been asked to play across all lines, Andrews is capable through the midfield, up forward or down back. His composure, ball use and sidestep are the features of his game that allow this. As his ball winning capabilities grow, Andrews is likely to transition into more of a midfielder given his prowess in traffic and can develop that as his best position.

10. Jacob Van Rooyen
Van Rooyen appears to to be the most advanced key forward in this year's draft crop. Van Rooyen kicked 19 goals from 10 WAFL Colts matches last season. Van Rooyen's aerial marking and contested marking are his weapons and give him the future scope to switch into defence. Possessing a strong and advanced body for his age, Van Rooyen has good one-on-one capabilities and importantly for a forward applies forward pressure capably.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is the top 10 Knightmare did about a month back I think. Obviously Daicos goes higher than that. Either 1 or 2. Sonsie hasn't had a great start to the year but is rated highly.

1. Jason Horne
Widely viewed as the front-runner for pick No. 1 is South Australian Jason Horne. Horne is a goalkicking midfielder who influences games both as a midfielder and forward. Horne plays with the class of a Gary Ablett Jnr, taking on the game with his run, evading opponents with ease and hurting the opposition with his ball use. Through the midfield he is a strong contested ball winner while as a forward, not only is Horne damaging with ball in hand, he's a strong marking threat both aerially and in contested situations.

2. Matthew Roberts
Also a goalkicking midfielder, Roberts kicked eight majors over his last four SANFL Under-18 matches. Roberts is damaging both through the midfield and as a forward. Through the midfield, Roberts plays a well-rounded game; he possesses an ideal inside/outside balance, is a strong contested ball winner, an elite endurance runner who covers a lot of ground, spreads well from stoppages and uses the ball effectively on his left foot. As a forward, Roberts shows good smarts and is a threat both overhead and at ground level. He hurts opponents not only by hitting the scoreboard himself but also with his clean forward 50 entries.

3. Matthew Johnson
A tall, ball winning midfielder at 192cm, Johnson combines ball winning capabilities with composure, class and evasion in traffic. Johnson plays a style of football resembling Scott Pendlebury and shares many of the same rare gifts for a tall midfielder. By hand and foot Johnson hits his targets, with his vision and decision-making additional strengths. Johnson wins a high proportion of his ball in contested situations and connects on his tackles.

4. Josh Rachele
A goalkicking midfielder, Rachele is a capable ball winner who possesses an explosive burst of speed out of stoppages. Rachele was awarded the Kevin Sheehan Medal for the best Division One player during the Under-16 Championships in 2019. At this stage, Rachele plays his best football across half-forward, though this year he will be aiming to spend more time through the middle. Rachele averaged 18 disposals while kicking eight goals during his four NAB League matches in 2019, which speaks to how advanced he was two years out from being draft eligible.

5. Nick Daicos
Arguably more talented than his older brother Josh, Nick Daicos is eligible to join Collingwood as a father-son selection (son of Peter). Nick is the taller of the two brothers and is the far more advanced footballer at the same age. Nick is a natural playmaker with ball in hand with the way he uses the ball to bring teammates into the game and runs with the ball. As you would expect from a Daicos, he possesses precise skills on both feet and is a damaging kick inside 50.

6. Tyler Sonsie
The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the very best kicks inside 50 in this year's draft pool, his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure are his points of difference. Sonsie is a smart footballer who combines his skills with line-breaking capabilities.

7. Josh Sinn
Captain of Vic Metro's Under-16 premiership winning group, Sinn looks at his most damaging across half-back. Sinn generates drive from defence with his run and carry and clean ball use on his left foot, but while he is most recognised for this, he can push up through the midfield in either an outside or inside role. Sinn can win some of his own ball, but it's his outside run and endurance that stand out most.

8. Campbell Chesser
A speedy half-back flanker, Chesser generates substantial drive from defence and on the outside with his run and penetrating kick. Chesser combines this with intercepting capabilities. While looking most comfortable across half-back at this stage, it is expected that we see Chesser looking to develop his ball winning capabilities this year so that he can push through the midfield more.

9. Braden Andrews
A utility who has been asked to play across all lines, Andrews is capable through the midfield, up forward or down back. His composure, ball use and sidestep are the features of his game that allow this. As his ball winning capabilities grow, Andrews is likely to transition into more of a midfielder given his prowess in traffic and can develop that as his best position.

10. Jacob Van Rooyen
Van Rooyen appears to to be the most advanced key forward in this year's draft crop. Van Rooyen kicked 19 goals from 10 WAFL Colts matches last season. Van Rooyen's aerial marking and contested marking are his weapons and give him the future scope to switch into defence. Possessing a strong and advanced body for his age, Van Rooyen has good one-on-one capabilities and importantly for a forward applies forward pressure capably.
I'll take 2 of Johnson, daicos, horne and sinn please and thank you.

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

1. Jason Horne

2. Matthew Roberts

3. Matthew Johnson

4. Josh Rachele

5. Nick Daicos

6. Tyler Sonsie

7. Josh Sinn

8. Campbell Chesser

9. Braden Andrews

10. Jacob Van Rooyen
Looks like a lot of goal kicking midfielders which is what we need.

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can we please use our 1st Rounder on a midfielder this year. No drafting of players to convert into mids , just draft a mid. Try drafting players that have speed , and stamina , rather than those not suited to the way game is heading. I know it’s obvious , but our team is so busy picking up “mostly” broken down cash grabbers , I fear they just don’t get it. Ned Guy cops all the flack at Collingwood , but that seems to have a bit of Gubby written all over it. Whoever took Hunter the ruck , needs some serious supervision too. Frustrated as hell.

The good news is that there looks to be a clear top 7 or so this year before dropping off a bit.

It also looks like most of those will be mids.

It also looks like we’ll be in a position to get one 🤣
( got to look at the bright side of life 🎵)

1. Jason Horne

2. Matthew Roberts

3. Matthew Johnson

4. Josh Rachele

5. Nick Daicos

6. Tyler Sonsie

7. Josh Sinn

8. Campbell Chesser

9. Braden Andrews
A utility who has been asked to play across all lines, Andrews is capable through the midfield, up forward or down back. His composure, ball use and sidestep are the features of his game that allow this. As his ball winning capabilities grow, Andrews is likely to transition into more of a midfielder given his prowess in traffic and can develop tha

best position.

10. Jacob Van Rooyen

Sonsie is what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back