News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

The 100,000 comfortable seats.
Architecturally, the view looking up the Yarra from Southbank is stunningView attachment 1110263
In general though , most grounds have little character these days.
Docklands is an awful atmosphere and stadium especially with the roof closed.
The G has history but it's not unique looking anymore. There should be a grasses area with trees. You might laugh but concrete stadiums are confronting and unnatural to a lot of people.
The Adelaide oval did a good job, they still have fig trees in the ground I think.

The G has history but it's not unique looking anymore. There should be a grasses area with trees. You might laugh but concrete stadiums are confronting and unnatural to a lot of people.
The Adelaide oval did a good job, they still have fig trees in the ground I think.
Eh I've been around the world and visited plenty of stadiums old and new and find them all interesting and beautiful, no matter the building material. To say the MCG is lacking character is pretty rich considering the reputation it has locally and overseas.

Character and culture are not defined by standing still. Constant evolution is what allows character and culture to develop.

Eh I've been around the world and visited plenty of stadiums old and new and find them all interesting and beautiful, no matter the building material. To say the MCG is lacking character is pretty rich considering the reputation it has locally and overseas.

Character and culture are not defined by standing still. Constant evolution is what allows character and culture to develop.
Yeah but a couple of trees wouldn't hurt, in fact it would look magnificent.

Sure, but that would miss the main purpose of the stadium - to fit a s**t load of people in to watch sporting events. Much like the main purpose of PRO is to serve the Richmond Football Club.

So I go to my first VFL game today since 2019 looking forward to watching MRJ CCJ & our reserves playing a good game of footy.
I take this picture of the beautiful Jack Dyer stand. What's wrong with this picture though? That's right no one's sitting in it because it's derelict.
The rain precedes to piss down and we have nothing but a tree to stand under. I'm now soaking wet with 3 hours until the AFL game and thinking I need to go home or simply endure being wet for the rest of the day.
Tear this white elephant down and do something proper with the space. The stand looks nice but apart from that it's bloody useless. You telling me Jack Dyer would want this useless possum house holding the mighty Tigers back? 20210424_144146.jpg I don't think so

So I go to my first VFL game today since 2019 looking forward to watching MRJ CCJ & our reserves playing a good game of footy.
I take this picture of the beautiful Jack Dyer stand. What's wrong with this picture though? That's right no one's sitting in it because it's derelict.
The rain precedes to piss down and we have nothing but a tree to stand under. I'm now soaking wet with 3 hours until the AFL game and thinking I need to go home or simply endure being wet for the rest of the day.
Tear this white elephant down and do something proper with the space. The stand looks nice but apart from that it's bloody useless. You telling me Jack Dyer would want this useless possum house holding the mighty Tigers back?View attachment 1110383 I don't think so
Case closed.

Tear it down. (Sorry I know that upsets some posters when I word it that way)

Gently take it down slowly and Lovingly...

hasnt the mcg been enclosed by stands for well over 100 years?

Yes but not big stands like the GSS.

but not a hill or bloody trees

you seem to want professional footy to return to something that it was in at the turn of the century

for that, there is country footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But its of more value to the community.to have a tree behind a fence (next to spacious parkland) than it is to have community facilities in said space next to parkland

you seem to want professional footy to return to something that it was in at the turn of the century

No, I'm saying incorporate some small amount of grass or trees instead of a concrete jungle that could be anywhere in the world.

No, I'm saying incorporate some small amount of grass or trees instead of a concrete jungle that could be anywhere in the world.

if you want grass and trees, go to watch footy at Yea, not in a 100,000 seat stadium

100,000 seat stadium in the middle of parkland .... How many of those are there in the world?

Not only that, one within a walk of one of the world's best tennis complexes, another oval, elite(soon to be eliter) training facilities and a stone's throw from a river and the central station of CBD.

Also I am 100% behind ideas like urban farming, urban greenspace, regenerative agriculture and reforesting.

But a token tree in a stadium that takes away its functionality as a stadium is actually worse for the environment.

We are very privileged to have an incredible sports complex AND abundance of parklands in the same precinct. There is already a meshing of the natural and man made landscape at play there. By incorporating the stadium into the parklands you achieve this.

I love the concept that we honour jack dyer with a stand in his name but i also think its time for progress. We need to build a stand in dustys name.
How i would love my son in future years sitting in the dustin martin stand telling his kids the joy he had of watching the greatest footballer ever. How many of is can sit in the jack dyer stand and talk to our kids about jack dyer?
If we want to hold on to history why isnt every supporter out there standing in arms and demanding all grounds be opened up for a kick to kick after the game.
The stand is in a very sub standard state and if its seriously stands in the way of us moving foward as a club, being and elite organisation and winnig premierships then we seriously need to consider whats more important - history or the future.
Ill take the future and more premierships any day of the week without battering and eye lid.

Good.

Cameron from the club rang me the other day re my renewal....

Save the stand.... get my membership

Wow. After everything the club has achieved and given back to the fans you decide to hold your loyalty to ransom over a derelict seating structure. Poor form.

And what was his solution?
'and replacing it with something that, among other things, is easier to put corporate boxes in'
You're fighting for the money hungry corporates, I'm interested in preserving history.
A clear good side/ bad side issue .
The MCG proportions are a smokescreen from the corporates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back