Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

The whole focus no doubt will be Fages' comment about the length of quarters...

I don't want to sound like a complete boomer here but why is it that everyone in the AFL media/etc want to have shorter quarters even though that will lead to lower scores like last year's debacle in the future like seriously stop whinging and leave the f****** game alone FFS, like what a shame the quarters went for 36-37 minutes yesterday for our match, what a shame that our overpaid athletes have to play an additional 2-3 minutes of game time during that quarter with a couple of injuries :mad:

If the AFL really wanted to shorten the game-length up, make goal breaks every 20-30 seconds, that would speed up the game heaps instead of using 16-18 minute quarters + time on, like seriously are the AFL seriously that unfit at their jobs or something. Sounds like a $$$ motive for broadcasting revenue that will surely happen in the future with these clowns at AFLHQ.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like a complete boomer here but why is it that everyone in the AFL media/etc want to have shorter quarters even though that will lead to lower scores like last year's debacle in the future like seriously stop whinging and leave the f****** game alone FFS, like what a shame the quarters went for 36-37 minutes yesterday for our match, what a shame that our overpaid athletes have to play an additional 2-3 minutes of game time during that quarter with a couple of injuries :mad:

If the AFL really wanted to shorten the game-length up, make goal breaks every 20-30 seconds, that would speed up the game heaps instead of using 16-18 minute quarters + time on, like seriously are the AFL seriously that unfit at their jobs or something. Sounds like a $$$ motive for broadcasting revenue that will surely happen in the future with these clowns at AFLHQ.
I agree - I did the maths and that would be 10-15 minutes saved on the average game if the ad break after a goal is cut to 30 seconds. The NRL somehow manages to live with that in shorter games.

I agree - I did the maths and that would be 10-15 minutes saved on the average game if the ad break after a goal is cut to 30 seconds. The NRL somehow manages to live with that in shorter games.

Exactly, surely my memory was right to assume that breaks between goals was 30 seconds pre-COVID times anyhow so you think that they would be change back to 30 seconds again for this year given the normal quarters are back but no it's all about that increased broadcasting/advertisement revenue coming through with an extra ad being shown during the goal break :rolleyes:

What are the chances tomorrow night right on AFL360, that stupid "Whateley" will be talking about "lets shorter the quarters up for less injuries, etc etc" and that shitstorm again, setting his personal propaganda out like all the muppets on that channel. Like I'm sorry but one minute the AFL wanted higher scores in the league and now that it is finally coming into fruition, you want to lower the quarters down cause the matches feel too long in your eyes, like just * off for god's sake from the sport, you special old snowflakes. Go follow something like 3 x 3 Basketball or European Handball if you want shorter matches and high-scoring at the same time FFS :mad:

It's going to happen one day or another though trust me because it will attract the "younger kids in future generations to come" the AFLHQ will say given how short the matches would go for compared to now. They will start with introducing 18 minutes + time on and just keep lowering down to the appropriate level to what they think is suitable in their eyes, according to the increased broadcasting/financial revenue in the future. It's probably going to turn out how American Football is televised these days with the amount of ads filtered in during the match and the match-day product only lasting for 50 minutes, if that. I bet the AFL are trying to make the game go for 90-100 minutes long for the duration of the match IMO :huh:

Sadly I think it's just a matter of "when" then "will" now the AFLHQ will introduce shorter quarters in the sport and as a fan of the sport for the past 20 years of my lifetime, that just pisses me off greatly more then any rule change the AFL can ever create and there is nothing we can do about it :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Exactly, surely my memory was right to assume that breaks between goals was 30 seconds pre-COVID times anyhow so you think that they would be change back to 30 seconds again for this year given the normal quarters are back but no it's all about that increased broadcasting/advertisement revenue coming through with an extra ad being shown during the goal break :rolleyes:

What are the chances tomorrow night right on AFL360, that stupid "Whateley" will be talking about "lets shorter the quarters up for less injuries, etc etc" and that shitstorm again, setting his personal propaganda out like all the muppets on that channel. Like I'm sorry but one minute the AFL wanted higher scores in the league and now that it is finally coming into fruition, you want to lower the quarters down cause the matches feel too long in your eyes, like just fu** off for god's sake from the sport, you special old snowflakes. Go follow something like 3 x 3 Basketball or European Handball if you want shorter matches and high-scoring at the same time FFS :mad:

It's going to happen one day or another though trust me because it will attract the "younger kids in future generations to come" the AFLHQ will say given how short the matches would go for compared to now. They will start with introducing 18 minutes + time on and just keep lowering down to the appropriate level to what they think is suitable in their eyes, according to the increased broadcasting/financial revenue in the future. It's probably going to turn out how American Football is televised these days with the amount of ads filtered in during the match and the match-day product only lasting for 50 minutes, if that :huh:

Sadly I think it's just a matter of "when" then "will" now the AFLHQ will introduce shorter quarters in the sport and as a fan of the sport for the past 20 years of my lifetime, that just pisses me off greatly more then any rule change the AFL can create :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
They changed breaks between goals to 1 minute when they introduced the 6-6-6 rule.

They changed breaks between goals to 1 minute when they introduced the 6-6-6 rule.

Well I mean surely the sensible option would be to make it to 30 seconds again pre 6-6-6, if only $$$ wasn't a factor :rolleyes:

I dont understand why there is an issue with lengths of qtrs when it was only shortened last year due to Covid.

What is the problem with going back to how it has been for about 150yrs.

Cause a bunch of boomers on FoxFooty/Seven think the game is too long for their liking, and want to work shorter hours while being paid the same as a result :rolleyes:

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Good point. They get enough time to recover to run a marathon after a goal

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont understand why there is an issue with lengths of qtrs when it was only shortened last year due to Covid.

Yep let’s go back to exactly how life was in 1871

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
If you want to shorten the time span of games (as opposed to actual playing time) you can: get rid of ruck nominations; get rid of recalled bounces (umpires bounce the ball because it's meant to be random); shorten the time for re-starts after goals; can, or at least reduce the time taken for score reviews.

If injuries are such a problem then it's up to coaches to find more physically sustainable tactics. Australian Football games go for 100, sorry, 80 minutes these days (plus time on). You don't shorten the marathon because most athletes can't run 42.195 kilometres.

Haven't they played around with quarter lengths and the clock stopping or not a bunch of times over the years?

Quarters have only been 20 minutes since 1994 anyway, they were 25 minutes prior to that (well from 1886, it was two 50 minute halves before that). Also the concept of "time on" only existed for score and injuries between 1928-1994, now it's for stoppages like ball-ups and boundary throw-ins which makes quarters longer. And there's automatic time-on for ball-ups since 2006 where prior umps had to separately signal for it which meant that it generally was only done consistently in close games in the last quarter from memory.

Quarters have only been 20 minutes since 1994 anyway, they were 25 minutes prior to that (well from 1886, it was two 50 minute halves before that). Also the concept of "time on" only existed for score and injuries between 1928-1994, now it's for stoppages like ball-ups and boundary throw-ins which makes quarters longer. And there's automatic time-on for ball-ups since 2006 where prior umps had to separately signal for it which meant that it generally was only done consistently in close games in the last quarter from memory.
Combine that with changes a bunch of changes like ruck nomination and 6-6-6 which have probably increased length of time each stoppage takes.

And while time is off it's still an opportunity for your opponent to open some space, for you to create some space, delaying how long until you can go see the physios, etc.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I agree with most of what you say however your comment bolded above is pretty poor about any AFL player &/or coach. According to the AFL Players' Association, the average career length today is about six years. This means that while the capacity to earn big money is real (the average salary in 2018 was $270,000), most players don't even come close to this. Given its a 6 year career, there is no way they can finish their careers and retire like most others can once they are done with a normal working career. I dislike comments like that when they are obviously inaccurate and kinda insulting.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is the main complaint of quarter lengths the players having it tougher?

I think it’s more around the fans

The last quarter in our game was horrible and the second half in the Hawks/Adelaide game was at a much lower standard than the first.

Plus we have to pander to the tik tok generation.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

TV revenue impact would flow into media contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

TV revenue impact would flow into media contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's easy to say that but NRL contracts are comparable to the AFL despite shorter games, fewer ad breaks due to less scoring, and shorter ad breaks.

Back