Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen much discussion around Alex Neal-Bullen. Out of contract at the end of this year and IMO has become a very important and reliable player. Love to see a 2 year extension over the next couple of weeks

Haven't seen much discussion around Alex Neal-Bullen. Out of contract at the end of this year and IMO has become a very important and reliable player. Love to see a 2 year extension over the next couple of weeks

I agree, but I think for ANB he'll need another month of this footy to get an extension at reasonable dollars (comparatively).

Here’s a bloody tough challenge, order your favourites 1-3 from the 2019 draft class.

1. Pickett - can’t go past the x-factor he brings and ability to create something from nothing
2. Rivers - great mix of courage and great ball use
3. Jackson - getting better each week, same if not more upside than Kozzie

Amazing to think all the draft time talk was we reached twice for both Jackson and Pickett.

Tension between some of the board members and Smith was already around in 1964, part of the reason Barassi left.

We went 8-0 in 1965 coming off a premiership, lost the next 3 of the next games and Norm Smith was sacked.

Frank Checker Hughes coached the round 13 game but Smith was reinstated the following week after a huge backlash.

Smith said things were never the same again as Melbourne missed the finals for the first time since 1953 and the club has been cursed ever since
That’s the story I remembered, just couldn’t recall it all myself.

Sure we’ve beaten both 2021 grand finalists but we also lost a meaningless preseason game to the Bulldogs with JJ, ANB and vandenBerg as our starting midfielders for half the match, so who can tell if we’ve really improved?

Have really noticed that my swearing has gone up a lot in the last six weeks. Like not just at the football, even in daily life I keep muttering the phrase ‘dog bastard’ under my breath when anyone slights me and referring to people as ‘dumb ******* cowards’ in my head etc. 6-0 is a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting point:

Dogs points against: 360
Melbourne points against: 361

Dogs have played one team currently in the 8 (Brisbane, 8th).

We have played 3 teams currently in the 8 (Geelong, Richmond, Freo).

Not saying the Dogs’ defence isn’t good but ours may just be better...

I know I'm getting massively ahead of myself but how good would it be if us and the Dogs can get to Round 11 10-0.

The build up to that game would be enormous.
Definitely getting ahead of yourself if you think the Dogs will be 10-0 ;)

Its really fascinating over the last few days in here to see the number of little anecdotes some posters have offered up unprompted about some of their few happy memories of being a Melbourne supporter and lots of the games/seasons that have left scars... its like being 5-0 and the beating Richmond has been a therapy session for many.

For me - riding the wave of the 2000 season where our form into the finals was second only to Essendon - and we beat Carlton only a couple of weeks out (who were the only other contender).

I went to both the qualifying and prelim finals - but then had an overwhelming feeling of dread before the GF - so i worked at a pub during the game. Nearly smashed a glass when Simmonds got taken out... and just got more pissed off during the game.

I dont really recall another time in my life where we are arguably the best team in it (and wont know til round 11) - in 88 we were clearly behind Hawthorn and 2000 clearly behind Essendon - so this is a pretty fun feeling...

I know I'm getting massively ahead of myself but how good would it be if us and the Dogs can get to Round 11 10-0.

Doggies have to play Port at AO before then.

Its really fascinating over the last few days in here to see the number of little anecdotes some posters have offered up unprompted about some of their few happy memories of being a Melbourne supporter and lots of the games/seasons that have left scars... its like being 5-0 and the beating Richmond has been a therapy session for many.

For me - riding the wave of the 2000 season where our form into the finals was second only to Essendon - and we beat Carlton only a couple of weeks out (who were the only other contender).

I went to both the qualifying and prelim finals - but then had an overwhelming feeling of dread before the GF - so i worked at a pub during the game. Nearly smashed a glass when Simmonds got taken out... and just got more pissed off during the game.

I dont really recall another time in my life where we are arguably the best team in it (and wont know til round 11) - in 88 we were clearly behind Hawthorn and 2000 clearly behind Essendon - so this is a pretty fun feeling...
It’s hard. I’ve only ever been calm once as a Dees supporter- in 2013 where I knew we were trash. But I am achieving the same calm which is very concerning.

They won't beat port over at Adelaide oval

I would much prefer the game to have us at 10-0 and the Bulldogs at 6-4 tbh

Would be even better if Treloar had a shot after the siren to win the game and missed, then they interview him and he breaks down because Collingwood didn't want him

Watching Adem Yze's son play junior footy against my little brother. Kid's no chance for father son, but geez he's good. The thing is though, kids a power forward, he'd be 190+ cm at 14/15 and built. Clunks pack marks like mad.
Hey Frosty, I may have read this the wrong way, so correct me if I'm wrong. But are you saying Noah is no chance for a father son, but he's actually a darn good footballer? If so, is it too early to be ruling him out for father son?
The way you're describing him sounds as if he's got a bit of talent.

Hey Frosty, I may have read this the wrong way, so correct me if I'm wrong. But are you saying Noah is no chance for a father son, but he's actually a darn good footballer? If so, is it too early to be ruling him out for father son?
The way you're describing him sounds as if he's got a bit of talent.
He's clearly got some talent but it's a s**t level and he just stands out because he's got serious strength and height. No chance but kinda bloke that would kick bags at local level like his uncle Damien for Shepparton.

He's clearly got some talent but it's a sh*t level and he just stands out because he's got serious strength and height. No chance but kinda bloke that would kick bags at local level like his uncle Damien for Shepparton.
His uncle was an absolute freak. Saw him kick 12 straight years ago when he played for Ardmona. The Yze's were ridiculous at all sports they played up here in Shepp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back