News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

'and replacing it with something that, among other things, is easier to put corporate boxes in'
You're fighting for the money hungry corporates, I'm interested in preserving history.
A clear good side/ bad side issue .
The MCG proportions are a smokescreen from the corporates.
Replacing it with something that is legally allowed to have fans in is probably more accurate.

'and replacing it with something that, among other things, is easier to put corporate boxes in'
You're fighting for the money hungry corporates, I'm interested in preserving history.

okay, think about it

corporate boxes for the VFL and AFLW? Really???

Having people able to view from something akin to the social club isnt creating corporate boxes for an elite. FFS why would the elite spend money to watch a shitty game at a small shitty oval, when the MCG is literally metres away?

Im sure they can make it useable safety wise if they wanted to.

Given its condemned, they would have to dismantle it, tagging every piece as they do. Then re-engineer around what they can use again, what they are going to have to replace. And then rebuild.

Again, for the five hundredth time, the club costed this option AND the idea of relocating the stand to another suburban oval. It was too cost prohibitive

Saying we need to demolish the JDS or move is just an ambit claim.
It's not just Richmond's history it's Melbourne's history.
Millions of people in Melbourne are familiar with the stand as it is in a prominent position.
If removed , Punt Rd oval would look crap and homogeneous .
LoL@Millions of people.
A million people wouldn't know who Jack Dyer is outside the football world.
And of those within the football world outside of the RFC wouldn't give 2 hoots if the stayed or not.

There is no black and white to any issue. It's about compromise and maximising potential gains across all fields (business, cultural, history, etc).

There's pros and cons to each side of that and inbetweens.

While crikey has some great journalism, that piece offers nothing really, except an appeal to those that are already upset about it. There's no real fact or data or useful information in there even on the argument against demolition. Bit of a fluff piece, full of emotion, which is great and certainly part of the discussion. But you have to weigh up all the factors.

It's embarrassing the club is doing this.

It’s embarrassing that you and the imbecile who wrote the article think it’s being built to house corporate boxes.

Conveniently leaving out the fact it’s being built for women’s teams, indigenous education institute and Bachar Houli Islamic academy.

******* corporate boxes, fair dinkum. 🙄

Again, putting a practical piece of architecture in a glass box as a souvenir goes against the tradition of the architecture. It's in the good name of the architects who built it to use the structure or the space.

I'm sure the national trust would be open to bankrolling a move for it to one of their favour Victorian mansion grounds and paying for the conservation of it themselves. They could even open it to weddings etc and make a mint using it as a venue. Then they could keep bankrolling it. And everyone would be happy. A good solution no?
Wow, I can't wait for the new Jeep corporate boxes they will be much better than 100 years of Melbourne history.

There is no black and white to any issue. It's about compromise and maximising potential gains across all fields (business, cultural, history, etc).

There's pros and cons to each side of that and inbetweens.

While crikey has some great journalism, that piece offers nothing really, except an appeal to those that are already upset about it. There's no real fact or data or useful information in there even on the argument against demolition. Bit of a fluff piece, full of emotion, which is great and certainly part of the discussion. But you have to weigh up all the factors.

What a pathetic, deceptive article it is.

Totally omits the reason why it’s getting built and makes out it’s being built for corporate boxes.

Totally omits the reason why it’s getting built and makes out it’s being built for corporate boxes.
It's quite an old article, I'm not sure how much of the planning had been released at that stage so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they wanted to build apartments or something that didn't build on the club in a community and/or football sense than you'd have a lot more people defending the stand. But the reality is that compromises have to be made for progress and evolution.

Sorry , apologies to the 50 tonnes of concrete that is more important.
For our club to keep ahead of the game it is important unless you enjoyed 37yrs of not keeping up with the game.

Facts are facts. It is driven by corporates wanting their brand on everything that is available, meanwhile history is flushed down the toilet.

We'll they should have kept that but it was replaced by media and corporate boxes to make$$$$$$$$$$$$.
So your against the new mcc stand being able to increase its capacity by 19% over the old stand?
Bit similar i would say what the removal of the JD stand would provide for fellow tiger supporters to watch our reserves?

For our club to keep ahead of the game it is important unless you enjoyed 37yrs of not keeping up with the game.
We won 3 flags with the JD stand still there.
You don't have to destroy your history to get ahead, in the end that will work against you.
Preserve our history or we become another same same franchise.
I know Peggy has no interest in Australian history but Benny should.

So your against the new mcc stand being able to increase its capacity by 19% over the old stand?
Bit similar i would say what the removal of the JD stand would provide for fellow tiger supporters to watch our reserves?
Capacity for corporate boxes and media.
The MCG is only full 3 times a year if that.
It is usually half empty.

We won 3 flags with the JD stand still there.
You don't have to destroy your history to get ahead, in the end that will work against you.
Preserve our history or we become another same same franchise.
I know Peggy has no interest in Australian history but Benny should.
Somehow I feel like Peggy, the woman who became entrenched in the local sports club of the suburb she moved to, becoming it's president, may have a little bit of passion for the history and culture of the club and at the very least, Richmond. Probably not that far behind the BG considering that he's a Tasmanian and at my estimates lived outside of Victoria for almost as long as Peggy .

I'm every bit against evil corporations and their $$ interests but this is not exactly that. The ramifications of upgrading our community and football facilities are certainly not a bad outcome when you consider the every day destruction of community, history and culture that occurs due to corporate greed.

It's a compromise being made to better the club and community interests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back