List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Your above post makes no point.

More accurately, it's a young forward who kicked a ton of goals and it's a Hawthorn player. I'm sure when Franklin was in full flight as a 21-year-old, Hawthorn supporters weren't indifferent to the fact he was kicking a shitload of goals.

Would Franklin have been equally as impressive had he kicked 30 that year instead of 100+?

No you're right. Let's not get "fixated" on goals. In fact, let's omit them from any comparison entirely. That makes much more sense.

Lewis and Kosi are young forwards in a bottom 4 side.

Aaron Naughton is flanked by Bruce and English and getting fed by the most dominant midfield in the comp.

Those factors alone would have a huge impact on skewing their goal stats, regardless of how talented they are.

Your above post makes no point.

More accurately, it's a young forward who kicked a ton of goals and it's a Hawthorn player. I'm sure when Franklin was in full flight as a 21-year-old, Hawthorn supporters weren't indifferent to the fact he was kicking a shitload of goals.

Would Franklin have been equally as impressive had he kicked 30 that year instead of 100+?

No you're right. Let's not get "fixated" on goals. In fact, let's omit them from any comparison entirely. That makes much more sense.

You're failing to see how the comparison is ridiculous, when you're trying to make a qualitative comparison you need to control for differences in supply particularly when there's not a massive difference in goals. Franklin is a ridiculous example to bring up because he was many standard deviations ahead of where any other key forward was and is for his age and therefore makes a crappy comparison to anyone really.

Also - they were omitted from one example but not others, and even with goals the numbers bear out that Lewis isn't quite as far behind his peers based on their best period of continuous football. That changes somewhat in 2021 given McKay and Naughton's performances in particular, but you need to control for the fact that the ball isn't getting to Lewis anywhere near as often and the quality of delivery isn't there.

McKay is performing better than Lewis is this season, there's no doubt about it, but how much of that can be attributed to the fact that he's targeted more and that Carlton are averaging a lot more I50s than Hawthorn? Some, definitely.

Lewis and Kosi are young forwards in a bottom 4 side.

Aaron Naughton is flanked by Bruce and English and getting fed by the most dominant midfield in the comp.

Those factors alone would have a huge impact on skewing their goal stats, regardless of how talented they are.
It doesn't "skew the stats". They just haven't kicked many goals.

It doesn't "skew the stats". They just haven't kicked many goals.

So the best way to judge a water collection system is by the volume in the tank, but the amount of rainfall is irrelevant?

It therefore seems weird to omit the statistic in a comparison. Almost like you're trying to flatter a player who's kicked fewer goals.
Or better yet, it was a basic way to highlight the amount of times Lewis is getting his hands on the ball, how many contested marks, score involvements, tackles etc he has comparatively, as he’s been forgotten by those who only see goals.

A qualitative comparison? How so?

I responded to the example that omitted them.

I'll leave you to ponder your tortured water tank analogy.

The only thing tortured is me for getting involved in a main board crapfight.

You're failing to see how the comparison is ridiculous, when you're trying to make a qualitative comparison you need to control for differences in supply particularly when there's not a massive difference in goals.
A qualitative comparison? How so?

Also - they were omitted from one example but not others
I responded to the example that omitted them.

So the best way to judge a water collection system is by the volume in the tank, but the amount of rainfall is irrelevant?
I'll leave you to ponder your tortured water tank analogy.

Or better yet, it was a basic way to highlight the amount of times Lewis is getting his hands on the ball, how many contested marks, score involvements, tackles etc he has comparatively, as he’s been forgotten by those who only see goals.
Turn it up. You omitted goals because it doesn't suit your story.

For Sweet Jesus only, because it’s pretty clear you’re going to take it down path eventually.

No one is saying Lewis or Kosi are the best young key forwards. No one is saying goals don’t matter.

The point was that they’re tracking along ok for young talls with not many games under their belt and not much support.

For Sweet Jesus only, because it’s pretty clear you’re going to take it down path eventually.

No one is saying Lewis or Kosi are the best young key forwards. No one is saying goals don’t matter.

The point was that they’re tracking along ok for young talls with not many games under their belt and not much support.
And ignoring goals helps you make that case.

Oscar Allen easily.

If he played for a Vic club, they wouldn't stop taking about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While he is awesome, he has the luxury of being the 3rd tall not playing on either of the 2 best tall defenders.

Definitely benefits but is #1 for goals, marks inside 50 and contested marks for us this year. Teams are giving him plenty of attention when he is forward. Harry McKay for example gets less help but is targeted more often.

Oscar Allen easily.

If he played for a Vic club, they wouldn't stop taking about him.

I think Allen is getting plenty of press. Brad Johnson has been on his bandwagon since he was drafted and Jono Brown said on Saturday he could be a top 2 player in the comp in a year or two.

Where I think the Allen hype drops off is that he's only 192cm/87kg. McKay (24) is ruckman sized and starting to really impact games. The Kings (still 20) are pretty raw. It's easy to see upside in those modern prototype key forwards. But then Hipwood is 24, Casboult is 31, Peter Wright is 25, Taberner is 28 etc. and those guys haven't taken off and become stars of the comp.

With the exception of round one I’ve been to every Dogs game this season.

I’ve never seen a bloke truly believe he can get the ball any time it’s even remotely close to him quite like Naughton does. I wish his kicking was better but he’s unbelievable to watch live.

Definitely benefits but is #1 for goals, marks inside 50 and contested marks for us this year. Teams are giving him plenty of attention when he is forward. Harry McKay for example gets less help but is targeted more often.

I think Allen is getting plenty of press. Brad Johnson has been on his bandwagon since he was drafted and Jono Brown said on Saturday he could be a top 2 player in the comp in a year or two.

Where I think the Allen hype drops off is that he's only 192cm/87kg. McKay (24) is ruckman sized and starting to really impact games. The Kings (still 20) are pretty raw. It's easy to see upside in those modern prototype key forwards. But then Hipwood is 24, Casboult is 31, Peter Wright is 25, Taberner is 28 etc. and those guys haven't taken off and become stars of the comp.

If he continues to clunk contested marks, it doesn't matter if he's 163cm.

Fact is that a lot of the players you've mentioned are being rated purely on potential, or what people think they're going to achieve.

Apart from a handful of games, the King twins have not actually done much.

Allen has dominated games, and really pushing for the mantle of number 1 forward in a side with other good forwards.

King was unsighted last night against Port. Yes the delivery was average, but they had plenty of ball going into the 50.

McKay is 100% in the conversation as he has actually started to show something but is also older than Allen.

Allen looks taller than 192cm from what I can see. Looks much more like the 195/6cm genuine KPF. Every chance he’s grown.

The only person drafted after 2006 to win a Coleman is Cameron. Pretty damning on all the "next big thing" forwards in the comp, seem to get pretty good early but plateau.

Reckon they're all a bit too tall now so maybe that bodes well for Allen.

Not sure the is the best metric to judge KPF by.

Seems as good of a metric as any.

Buddy won his first Coleman at 21, Jack Riewoldt at 22 and they pretty much raffled it for the next 6 years.

For all the buzz about other young KPFs, where are their Coleman Medals?

I think Harry Jones will be in the conversation as best young KPF by seasons end. Looked great last night bar the nerves infront of goal. 4 shots on goal playing KP in your debut game is a great effort.
Got ridiculed at the time of saying it but that was a hell of a game from Harry today. He’s showing a lot for a skinny KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back