Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

It released Rohan. Hawkins performed better when Cameron was off the ground. Only one game though. They will work it out.
3 goals was Tom’s biggest haul in 2021 + 11 goal involvements

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
3 goals was Tom’s biggest haul in 2021 + 11 goal involvements
hawkins goals came when Cameron was off the field. he had very few marks inside fifty when Cameron was on thé field. the high score involvements suggests Hawkins may of been used more up the field though when Cameron was on. im definately advocating we are better with both of them there. We need two quality key fowards. i just don’t think it released hawkins as a goal scorer. Which is not necessarily a negative if it means Hawkins can contest more ball up the field.

I don’t value run downs that don’t end in a tackle. They are in fact a waste of energy And a negative attribute.

and despite people saying they effect the kick they well simply don’t. There is probably less then 5 times an entire game where a players disposal is effected by defensive pressure that doesn’t end in a tackle. As compared to the 60-90 tackles laid every week. It’s so insignificant it’s irrelevant to rate.

as for blocking space Ive seen no evidence that Rohan is any better at that then Dan Menzel.
So wrong. A chase that pressures the kicker into kicking out on the full or kicking it to a Geelong player is just as effective as a chase down where we get a HTB.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It might surprise you to find out that Blicavs ranks as one of our lower turnover merchants at an average of 2.3 a game. 17th in fact. 9th for disposal efficiency.

He is ranked 16th for effective disposals.

This means he generally puts the ball in a position to the advantage of our team mates, but he isn't great at nailing a clean disposal on the chest.

We saw that on the weekend, but a turnover merchant he is not.
Cause he always kicks sideways or backwards to an open man. When he tries to kick it forwards to contests where there are actually opponents he’s terrible.

No wonder backwards and sideways is his default. It’s an easier kick.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
hawkins goals came when Cameron was off the field. he had very few marks inside fifty when Cameron was on thé field. the high score involvements suggests Hawkins may of been used more up the field though when Cameron was on. im definately advocating we are better with both of them there. We need two quality key fowards. i just don’t think it released hawkins as a goal scorer. Which is not necessarily a negative if it means Hawkins can contest more ball up the field.

I'm jumping into the conversation here so might be way off the mark but IMO having Cameron releases Hawkins to do what he does best, be involved further up the ground and provide score assists and involvements. A purely goal kicking Tom Hawkins makes the Cats weaker, he's just so good around the ground.
What it does probably do is release Rohan to hit the scoreboard more.

So wrong. A chase that pressures the kicker into kicking out on the full or kicking it to a Geelong player is just as effective as a chase down where we get a HTB.
I definitely recall a few turnovers created at half back that would not have earned the forward or mid chasing a stat but were absolutely not possible without them

I definitely recall a few turnovers created at half back that would not have earned the forward or mid chasing a stat but were absolutely not possible without them
When our game is up and running it’s absolutely critical to get these turnovers.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
I don’t value run downs that don’t end in a tackle. They are in fact a waste of energy And a negative attribute.

and despite people saying they effect the kick they well simply don’t. There is probably less then 5 times an entire game where a players disposal is effected by defensive pressure that doesn’t end in a tackle. As compared to the 60-90 tackles laid every week. It’s so insignificant it’s irrelevant to rate.

as for blocking space Ive seen no evidence that Rohan is any better at that then Dan Menzel.
Surely this is a piss take. You don’t value pressure?
You always see players with poor disposal when they are being chased and under the pump.
Bizarre post.

And there's a vast difference between Chuckie standing the mark for a kick-in to someone like Dahlhaus - once the player steps outside the goal square & the umpire calls play-on, Chuckie is must better at closing them down & not really giving them a chance for that extra 10/15m plus the long kick; when Dahlhaus was in that role, he tried hard but doesn't have the same explosive pace so the player kicking in was pretty comfortable with taking his 10m before kicking under little pressure

And there's a vast difference between Chuckie standing the mark for a kick-in to someone like Dahlhaus - once the player steps outside the goal square & the umpire calls play-on, Chuckie is must better at closing them down & not really giving them a chance for that extra 10/15m plus the long kick; when Dahlhaus was in that role, he tried hard but doesn't have the same explosive pace so the player kicking in was pretty comfortable with taking his 10m before kicking under little pressure
Yeah I really thought that we'd need two rucks and with too many talls Sav would come in for Rohan. But I don't think that idea is so hot anymore

Should lose mod privileges for this...

at midnight when I was half asleep and really should have been in bed, I'm going to make an excuse that I can post a misheard saying if I want ;)

and then go a not-so stealth edit 10 hours later :cool:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely this is a piss take. You don’t value pressure?
You always see players with poor disposal when they are being chased and under the pump.
Bizarre post.
No you don’t. Only if the chasing opponent actually gets close enough to attempt a tackle Does it usually impact the disposal. It’s very rare for a disposal to be rushed and turned over due to defensive chasing when a player isnt contacted by an opponent.

running to position to block space helps prevent easy avenues to attack. And that’s important. the players best at this are thé endurance players. This is where the likes of miers, dalhaus and parfitt benefit us definsively in the foward line. Rohan has poor endurance. He also is rarely quick to revert to defensive positions after we have lost the ball on the foward line. So many times he just lies on the ground for an extended period before switching to defensive mode. He is as bad as Dangerfield in this area. I’ve yelled at him a few times to get up. He just takes too long.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It is just as effective. it almost never happens though. A couple of times a game max. And I doubt Rohan has done that once this year. Most of the kick out on the fulls or turnovers without contact happen in stoppage situations. or from simply poor disposal that was not impacted by an opponents efforts but a result of a player trying to be too precise with a pass near the boundary line.

No you don’t. Only if the chasing opponent actually gets close enough to attempt a tackle Does it usually impact the disposal. It’s very rare for a disposal to be rushed and turned over due to defensive chasing when a player isnt contacted by an opponent.

running to position to block space helps prevent easy avenues to attack. And that’s important. the players best at this are thé endurance players. This is where the likes of miers, dalhaus and parfitt benefit us definsively in the foward line. Rohan has poor endurance. He also is rarely quick to revert to defensive positions after we have lost the ball on the foward line. So many times he just lies on the ground for an extended period before switching to defensive mode. He is as bad as Dangerfield in this area. I’ve yelled at him a few times to get up. He just takes too long.
Even seeing that a player is closing space faster than you think can make you rush the kick enough for a turnover. You look back and see Rohan closer than you expected and suddenly you have less time to make a decision and you hack it forward. Queue Jack Henry with the intercept.

It is just as effective. it almost never happens though. A couple of times a game max. And I doubt Rohan has done that once this year. Most of the kick out on the fulls or turnovers without contact happen in stoppage situations. or from simply poor disposal that was not impacted by an opponents efforts but a result of a player trying to be too precise with a pass near the boundary line.
Happens all the time. Can even be a turnover in two oppo possessions time where increasing pressure puts the next possession at an increasing disadvantage.

Just so wrong. It happens a dozen times a game.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Something Rohan did extremely well on Saturday was to stand the mark for WCE kick ins... when the WCE player would get into motion to kick, Rohan would rush at them. A few times he was close to smothering the ball but I'd say on almost every occasion, he caused the WCE player to panic and rush their kick more than they usually would. He wouldn't have a single stat for it but it was very effective all game.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He should never have been dumped by the club. Henderson is proof the club gets it plain wrong sometimes and big footy can get it right.
2019 draft was when we delisted Henderson and elevated both Simpson and Z.Guthrie to the senior list. If Abbott doesn't leave for the Saints we would be sitting here right now with Z.Guthrie on the list and Henderson retired. Beyond lucky, could have been a huge disaster.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
So many times Rohan has come from nowhere like a freight train. Enough to make you go "oh s**t" as soon as you get the ball if you know he is anywhere in a twenty metre radius. There would be no doubt Oppo players would be aware of him and thinking they need to get rid of it asap - that is perceived pressure, it's real and its effective. They don't even have to kick it out on the full, they just need to choose the wrong option and it is a win for us.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
that is super heart warming given the endless torrent of crap he has been enduring ( self inflicted or not)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

It sure is. He's done a bit of media lately and it seems he is getting his life back on track. I hope he can continue to have more involvement with the club over time. All time GFC legend no doubt.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
177141941_3890282724430451_6611910733504711384_n.jpg

Back