PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
What's showing up in the Reliability monitor for you? I've been reading some similar reports of similar symptoms, especially recently with Zen 3, with CAM being the culprit. CAM has a dubious reputation but so far for me I can't visibly fault it and it never appears in any logs. In fact the one time my system pooed itself on the weekend my CAM controlled Kraken LCD screen was the only thing that looked like it was still working.
1618273663333.png

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Ewww yeah that's a few errors. Does the event log give any extra info?
There's a huge amount more in the event viewer, but I don't understand most of them. :D There were a few issues with Audacity as well which I've just uninstalled as I don't even know why it was on here in the first place.

Anyway, I'll run without CAM + Audacity and see if it happens again before I try to delve into all the other stuff.

Also are you using any other control software, like fan control etc? CAM doesn't play nice with anything else. None of them really do. iCUE + fan Xpert kept locking my previous system until I worked it out.
Nah, I'm not.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Recently NVIDIA offered a DLSS add-on for Unreal, and now they're rolling it out to Unity as well. Hopefully this means there will be a bigger uptake in DLSS in the future. Hopefully it's also as easy as checking an AA option in the post processing stack as that's about the limit of my post skills lol.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Did you work this out? I don't remember seeing anywhere to punch in a game code in the windows app 🤔
Kinda.

It wasn't for the game I was looking for, and it didn't come from an official source, but I did find a couple of posts on reddit/Steam discussions where people said you can't use DLCs bought on Steam in Game Pass. And given Humble Bundle gives you Steam codes, I figure it won't work either

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Here comes the 3080ti. Probably something else no one can buy.

Will be interesting to see where it sits in terms of performance considering where the 3090 is compared to the 3080 and both already on the 102 chip. Xx80 has been typically more recently on the 104 with the ti being on a cut down Titan 102.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm still considering the 3080 Strix pre-order, but now we may have 3080 Ti's coming out that nobody will be able to buy either.

I don't get the 3080ti. Where are they coming from? Are they failed 3090s, or binned 3080s? CUDA wise it's inbetween the two and half the memory of the 3090. Which supply are they robbing from to create the 3080ti? This may only make things worse. Might be time to give up on this generation.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Which supply are they robbing from to create the 3080ti? This may only make things worse. Might be time to give up on this generation.
1. Presumably the 3090 because I can't imagine there are that many 102 dies that fit between the 2
2. Yes
3. I think so

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder how regular dedicated system builders (like Aftershock, not Scorpy or PCCG) get stock? They would be getting it straight from the supplier too and don't sell individual parts so no mark up. I know building it yourself is half the excitement but it might be more worthwhile for anyone desperate for a whole new build to just get one through an integrator.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I wonder how regular dedicated system builders (like Aftershock, not Scorpy or PCCG) get stock?
I believe SIs have a different allocation of stock (i.e. they aren't fighting with retailers like Scorptec/PCCG who are mostly getting their stock to on-sell to us plebs)
but it might be more worthwhile for anyone desperate for a whole new build to just get one through an integrator.
Pretty sure at least a couple of Tech Youtubers (I think GN and JayzTwoCents) have said this semi-recently, and it looks like it'll continue to the be the case for a while yet :(

I believe SIs have a different allocation of stock (i.e. they aren't fighting with retailers like Scorptec/PCCG who are mostly getting their stock to on-sell to us plebs)

Pretty sure at least a couple of Tech Youtubers (I think GN and JayzTwoCents) have said this semi-recently, and it looks like it'll continue to the be the case for a while yet :(

Thinking about dropping 3k for a pre-built with a 5900x and a 3080.

Dismantling the whole thing, and parting it out to my current desktop/server.

And thus ending up with even more parts laying around :)

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

I regularly get Aftershock PC ads on FB and they constantly reply to people in the comments that they have stock which is why I thought of it. But if Jay or GN have suggested it then that might not be an option either in the future if everyone catches on lol.

The trend I'm seeing on bapcaustralia sub Reddit and places like that is that a lot of people bought the rest of their parts earlier last year just waiting for the new graphics cards and CPUs to launch. So unfortunately for them buying a pre-built would be money down the drain. The situation seems so much worse now than late last year. I hustled hard for my card but I don't think my strategy would even work now.

Back