Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
No you don’t. Only if the chasing opponent actually gets close enough to attempt a tackle Does it usually impact the disposal. It’s very rare for a disposal to be rushed and turned over due to defensive chasing when a player isnt contacted by an opponent.

running to position to block space helps prevent easy avenues to attack. And that’s important. the players best at this are thé endurance players. This is where the likes of miers, dalhaus and parfitt benefit us definsively in the foward line. Rohan has poor endurance. He also is rarely quick to revert to defensive positions after we have lost the ball on the foward line. So many times he just lies on the ground for an extended period before switching to defensive mode. He is as bad as Dangerfield in this area. I’ve yelled at him a few times to get up. He just takes too long.
I’m not sure which game your watching mate. Richmond base their entire game plan off perceived pressure.

No they base it off chaotic foward ball movement and actual pressure.

if percieved foward pressure was so important why isn’t there any actual stats on it?
There are, they’re just not public. CD maintains a pressure factor stat, but AFAIK it only gets released through media outlets and we can’t access it directly.

My god Blicavs is a turn over merchant - always gets caught and that kick backwards in the first quarter that lead to direct West Coast goal.... Wow... Terrible lol

Good to get the win though
97 point win and your first post about the game is to pot a bloke.

Now.. the potting is totally deserved as the execution of the kick was horrendous.

still funny and telling all at once.

GO Catters

is Thé pressure factor just a measure of perceived pressure or actual pressure?
Apparently includes chasing and closing as well as actual physical pressure:

EDIT: this is a better explanation:

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
During general play in 1-on-1 situations he wasn't too bad because he could play the ball as he saw it coming in

Where he ran into problems defensively was at stoppage situations where he didn't show respect for his player, didn't get goal side of his player and would even stand off his direct opponent in hoping to snag the ball himself and generate play from the backline

As a defender, surely the #1 thing at a defensive stoppage is to actually respect your opponent and ensure you go with them - something he wasn't the best at doing as he was looking more to attack rather than defend

Atkins may not be the best players in our back 6, but if you tell him to defend Player X then that's what he is going to do. Look at the play in the first quarter yesterday where he gave away a free kick to Sheed in WCEs forward 50, but rather than hanging his head & getting down on himself, he stayed focused on the play, saw that Sheed was going to play on and made the tackle as soon as the umpire called play on - he stopped Sheed in his tracks, won back the free kick and what looked a certain goal for WCE was suddenly our ball
I got a lotta time for this Tommy Atkins boy, and I suspect I ain't on my lonesome there.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
This. It literally goes, amongst most circles, Scarlett/Silvagni, Rance, Fletcher, Enright (or Enright then Rance then Fletcher or Enright then Fletcher then Rance). Gonna take a very long time before Stewie reaches that sort of ridiculous standing in the history of the game.

2x B+F in Premiership years 2009 and 2011 (not even Dusty has achieved that) and 6 x AA including one at 34 years old. People forget how f*cking good Corey Enright was lol - but Stewie is basically is his clone, and every bit worthy of wearing the number 44 - which is definitely saying a hell of a lot!

:)

It’s a Doritos debate for me - why not have both😜
Boris and Corey are two of my all time favourites from our halcyon era- Boris was just so reliable , tight and when available could take the creative option. Some of his hand balling was crazy good - he even got a kick in his blue speedos FFS !
Could rack up huge possession numbers just like Stewart can.
I’m loving the way Tom plays and look forward to his continual development - the way he’s going he could be anything👍

You know what Keith Miller said about pressure. ..?
He never specified if the Messerschmitt was shooting or merely pursuing so hard to say if it was active or perceived pressure.

EDIT: Here's a useless bit of trivia for you: the doctoral supervisor of B.J. Habibie, Suharto's successor as Indonesian President and the man responsible in some ways for East Timorese independence, was Willie Messerschmitt.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I got a lotta time for this Tommy Atkins boy, and I suspect I ain't on my lonesome there.

Im loving him in his new role, potential is definitely there to add value.
He will come under a lot of pressure in that role as he will get a lot of handball receives as the speed option in defence.
My question is can he position himself better? Not having the benefit of seeing the game live but he appears to be very close to the contest at times and comes under immediate pressure.
Could he benefit from being a little further away thereby having more time and space?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
He never specified if the Messerschmitt was shooting or merely pursuing so hard to say if it was active or perceived pressure.

EDIT: Here's a useless bit of trivia for you: the doctoral supervisor of B.J. Habibie, Suharto's successor as Indonesian President and the man responsible in some ways for East Timorese independence, was Willie Messerschmitt.

I would say keith's point was rel to the severity of a negative outcome. If he was not shooting , it was impending.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

if percieved foward pressure was so important why isn’t there any actual stats on it?
There are stats for it. It is classed as a pressure act:

"A pressure act is when a player has applied either closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure."

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One

They score heavily from turnovers. They create the turnover by pressure and perceived pressure.
They chase. They don’t just stop when the opposition runs off with the ball.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Im loving him in his new role, potential is definitely there to add value.
He will come under a lot of pressure in that role as he will get a lot of handball receives as the speed option in defence.
My question is can he position himself better? Not having the benefit of seeing the game live but he appears to be very close to the contest at times and comes under immediate pressure.
Could he benefit from being a little further away thereby having more time and space?
Good question. He's close of course cos I'd say that's his role, or is it his game? Interesting, I'll call on wiser heads than me to settle that one.

1619426245758.png

Back