List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn’t mind the club asking the question about Bazzo tbh.

For the record the club can list players who’s fathers played 150 games for East Freo, South Freo, Swan Districts and Perth before 1995.

Unfortunately 17 of Steven Bazzo’s 158 games for Swan Districts were in 1995 meaning Rhett Bazzo is ineligible to be listed by the Dockers by nine games.

Doesn’t hurt to ask. We’ll get rejected 100% though.
I thought that consession ended in 2015 anyway.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn’t mind the club asking the question about Bazzo tbh.

For the record the club can list players who’s fathers played 150 games for East Freo, South Freo, Swan Districts and Perth before 1995.

Unfortunately 17 of Steven Bazzo’s 158 games for Swan Districts were in 1995 meaning Rhett Bazzo is ineligible to be listed by the Dockers by nine games.

Doesn’t hurt to ask. We’ll get rejected 100% though.
The rules used to be 150 wafl, 200 sanfl, and 100 for vfl.
Is this a level playing field?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see they did a BF phantom draft over on the drafting board and after 60 odd picks no one has mentioned Jesse Motlop.
So an early sign that we might get him as a Cat B rookie?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think the argument is that we have four WAFL clubs to pick from and VFL clubs have one. Really can’t fathom why it’s 200 SANFL games for South Australian sides though.

I think the cut off 1995 for the Dockers and whatever it is for Eagles, Crows and Power is the greater issue. They’d be plenty of players who played 100 odd WAFL games prior to the Eagles entering the comp then played less than 100 AFL games.

We’ve asked before but were clutching at straws far more than we would’ve been for Bazzo.

Last edited:

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
I think the argument is that we have four WAFL clubs to pick from and VFL clubs have one. Really can’t fathom why it’s 200 SANFL games for South Australian sides though.

I think the cut off 1995 for the Dockers and whatever it is for Eagles, Crows and Power is the greater issue.

We’ve asked before but were clutching at straws far more than we would’ve been for Bazzo.
Pathetic really that the games played is so inequitable across the 3 state competitions. Would be a great legacy to have young Bazzo play for Freo or for that matter the other WA club.
Steve’s life was cut way too short.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pathetic really that the games played is so inequitable across the 3 state competitions. Would be a great legacy to have young Bazzo play for Freo or for that matter the other WA club.
Steve’s life was cut way too short.

The fact West Coast has has as many father sons from West Coast as through the WAFL probably tells you all you need to know tbh.

We’ve had one father son in our history.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
The kids

Attachments

• 7B740DA3-05DA-4547-8B90-C508FC5E40DC.png
    7B740DA3-05DA-4547-8B90-C508FC5E40DC.png
    1 MB · Views: 198
The rules actually used to allow sons of people who worked in the administration of a club.
And Brisbane got Brown after his father played 51 games for Fitzroy.

The fact West Coast has has as many father sons from West Coast as through the WAFL probably tells you all you need to know tbh.

We’ve had one father son in our history.

Fremantle has 42 players who qualify for their sons to play for Freo under the F/S rules. The average of these men is 38 years old. We are about to hit the window.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Ysaye

Who did you pick in the phantom?

Jack Williams (pick 10) and Alex Lukic (Pick 29).

As I said in the thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-young-talent-time.1252621/page-18#post-69771752) I am really seeing Jack Williams as a potential bolter at the moment and will be very attractive to recruiters because he arguably can play any position on the field, so there is a lot of versatility there. Since picking him last week there has been quite a bit written on him in media, and I talked about some of the queries on him as well so will leave it with that.

I still think that Alex Lukic is a good player, has some great athletic traits (very good speed off the mark) and fits with needs (past pick 20ish tend to go more needs than "best available").

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

As I said in the thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-young-talent-time.1252621/page-18#post-69771752) I am really seeing Jack Williams as a potential bolter at the moment and will be very attractive to recruiters because he arguably can play any position on the field, so there is a lot of versatility there. Since picking him last week there has been quite a bit written on him in media, and I talked about some of the queries on him as well so will leave it with that.

I still think that Alex Lukic is a good player, has some great athletic traits (very good speed off the mark) and fits with needs (past pick 20ish tend to go more needs than "best available").
Excellent drafting Ysaye - Williams has looked really good this year, don't mind getting an ex Willetton Tiger on the list either. Can't believe Lukic lasted to #29 - seems a bargain and fits our list needs really well.

Hammersoup12

Senior List
Sep 15, 2014

How does Williams skill set match up against Luke Jackson’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Only issue I can see is his kicking for goal.
But with a basketball background
you would expect great skills.
East Freo boys so maybe like Kennedy will become reliable.
Will be interesting to see out of Williams, Bazzo who joins VR in
The U18’s forward line.
WA has plenty of Talls with Taylor
But if Sumich is coach let’s hope he gets the spine right.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I like Ysaye work but you just know there is no chance we actually draft 2 KPFs, even if they are available. There will be some tasty HBF we can't resist.

Yep I know! :p Although in my "defence" I did take Chapman and Brandon Walker in the last mock last year and people did say that we wouldn't take both or we would be mad if we did! ;)

Seriously though; I think that some recruiters will see Williams as a clean slate with lots of potential that can fit a team gap.

I feel Williams is better but will be interesting to see how they hold up at the next level.

Only issue I can see is his kicking for goal.
But with a basketball background
you would expect great skills.
East Freo boys so maybe like Kennedy will become reliable.
Will be interesting to see out of Williams, Bazzo who joins VR in
The U18’s forward line.
WA has plenty of Talls with Taylor
But if Sumich is coach let’s hope he gets the spine right.

You may find that they play Williams as a Utility Ruck / Forward with a stint back if needed, Bazzo plays back almost certainly and then there are other options for the U18 forward lines to join Van Rooyen.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bazzo and Erasmus playing PSA for Guildford and Hale respectively this weekend. Josh Draper (NGA 2022) is playing for Trinity.

Matthew Johnson is having his League debut for Subi.

The rest of the top draft prospects seem to be playing Colts. Can't see Van Rooyen's name anywhere?!?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Williams and Amiss kicked 4 goals each at Colts. Our 2022 NGA prospect jasper Scaife kicked 1.3 for West Perth.

Be keen to hear from anyone who watched Motlop, Colborne and Bourne in South Freo's win over Subi. Liam Brandis backed up 5 goals last game with 4 this week.

Back