Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest lockdown in Perth makes it more obvious to move hotel quarantine out of the cities. One current risk is that covid free people can contract the virus while in hotel quarantine and some of the blame lies with the ventilation systems. Not surprising as these systems aren't hospital grade (and not expected to be). Spread of the virus this way wouldn't be an issue at Howard Springs. No inter-connected ventilation systems, and residents have access to fresh air. Each room has a private balcony.

NT recorded record 10 new cases yesterday, taking the total count to 48. There's lower risk of tranmission amongst returned travellers compared to city hotel quarantine programs, and little risk of any of infected residents reaching Darwin.

More lockdowns in cities, whether city wide or targeted, are almost enivitable with city based hotel quarantine but there doesn't seem to be much mood for change amongst the federal and state governments.
Ages ago someone posted a blog of Erin Bromage, an Australian epidemiologist in the US:

It's worth revisiting, almost for its prescience.

He discussed at length the role of aerosols and gave pictorial reference to how aerosols spread in restaurant and office areas. Not just in still air environments but also moving air environments. That was May 2020.

Does it come as a surprise that Bromage's data might have relevance to medi hotels?

Yet it seems there has only been a snail's pace realisation, over a year, of the importance of aerosol transmission. Once again it points to the wrong people making decisions, or, alternatively, the right people not being sufficiently up to speed.

McGowan launched into the Federal government over this exact point yesterday and said they have many facilities that would be more suitable than hotel quarantine.

I think the elephant in the room needs to be addressed as well. This returned traveller from a wedding fiasco has exposed once and for all the myth that all of the people returning are just poor Aussies stranded overseas that just want to come home and haven't been able to find a flight yet. I know stories from within my own circles of people coming and going for what essentially amount to holidays. The whole system needs to be tightened up. Returning travellers (and by that I mean returning, not coming back for a holiday and then leaving again a few weeks later) and actual essential travel.

A lot depends on when this traveler left for India. It may have been several weeks ago before the situation in India deteriorated. Even if that is the case it is hard to see how he was able to jump the queue of people wanting to return to Australia. I would be pretty pissed off if I had been waiting for months to get back to Oz and someone was able to fly in fly out when they pleased.

At present you can only travel to India if one of the following applies.
  • critical workers providing assistance to the country of destination’s COVID-19 response;
  • persons undertaking travel in Australia’s national interest; or
  • persons seeking urgent medical treatment for a critical illness that is unable to be treated in Australia.
Supporting evidence must be provided.

North Melbourne’s players will be forced to complete a 14-day quarantine upon returning to Victoria this weekend, but the players will be granted special exemptions to train and play while in isolation.

Mark McGowan summed up hotel quarantine in an EXCELLENT quip last night.. We have hotels built in the
50s 60s & 70s and we're coping as best we can with what we've got. Named 4 possible Federal quarantine sites and said: Morrison didn't want to have a bar of them..

Mark McGowan summed up hotel quarantine in an EXCELLENT quip last night.. We have hotels built in the
50s 60s & 70s and we're coping as best we can with what we've got. Named 4 possible Federal quarantine sites and said: Morrison didn't want to have a bar of them..
Yep. Also, we need to be more proactive with hotspots. We should suspend flights from India until they start getting over their huge second wave.

Gee where have I seen that before. Oh that's right ****ing everywhere.

I disagree with Scott Morrison on pretty much everything but dear god am I grateful that he has more sense than the Trumps, Bolsonaros, Modis of the world when it comes to COVID. Right-wing populism kills everything it touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee where have I seen that before. Oh that's right ****ing everywhere.

I disagree with Scott Morrison on pretty much everything but dear god am I grateful that he has more sense than the Trumps, Bolsonaros, Modis of the world when it comes to COVID. Right-wing populism kills everything it touches.
If it was up to him we'd be living "along side the virus" like he wanted us to at the beginning of all this..

Worked out well in those countries that did hey..

If it was up to him we'd be living "along side the virus" like he wanted us to at the beginning of all this..

He started off with the wrong mindset but when it became obvious what a threat COVID was he changed his mind in the face of evidence. I don't like him any more than you do, but just look to the US, Brazil and India to see how it could be much worse.

He started off with the wrong opinion but when it became obvious what a threat COVID was he changed his mind in the face of evidence. I don't like him any more than you do, but just look to the US, Brazil and India to see how it could be much worse.
My biggest criticism is when it became obcious Pfizer had better results, that we didn’t order more then. Sure manufacture AZ here and use, but there was a little too much Aussie Made is great mate! for political gain IMO.

Oh and obviously not quarantine outside capital cities.

mid assume not profit related or cost focused

anyway point is, these economic stoppages will only benefit the mega corporations which will inturn be at the detriment of the consumer when there’s less competition
Yep we are all ****ed.

as fat mike said “ the idiots have taken over”

Yes, people forget that back in August 2020 Morrison and Freydenberg were firmly in the containment camp when the experts were telling them that elimination was possible in Australia. These two were continually agitating for opening of borders despite the threat of contamination. Morrison sits back smugly and takes credit for the position Australia is in yet it was the actions of the State Premiers, not the Federal Government, that got us where we are.

Morrison is taking a similar 'head in the sand' stance with Australia's flawed hotel quarantine system. The Federal Government is being told consistently that Australia's hotel quarantine system is a bio security risk yet they do nothing but play political football. Mark McGowan is right, they are trying to accommodate infected people in hotels built in the 1980's or earlier with inadequate ventilation and air conditioning. Maybe Morrison should be considering Forage Built modules as shown below for a series of quarantine centres? I am sure that the Forage modules could be adapted to suit and that Justin Westhoff would be happy to speak with him.

1619389311353.png

Great to see Justin Westhoff using his extra curricular study to advantage. I am sure we all wish him well.

As at 25 Apr 2021
So far, 1,934,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across Australia.
Change from previous day: 20,000

India has vowed to “hang” anyone who delays the delivery of oxygen supplies as the country buckles under a devastating second wave of coronavirus. A high court in New Delhi warned it would use the death penalty after brazen local officials intercepted and diverted oxygen tanks to desperate hospitals in their areas. The court, which was hearing submissions by a group of hospitals over the oxygen shortages, described the devastating rise in infections as a “tsunami”. India recorded 349,691 new cases and 2767 deaths in the past 24 hours – the highest since the start of the pandemic.

If they're not convinced that this current group of vaccines are going to be able to enable the country to open up, and given that the only leaks can be from hotel quarantine, why the heck should the majority of people want the vaccine?

The vaccine only becomes necessary if youre going to let the virus circulate in low numbers in the community. Otherwise, you really only need those in HQ vaccinated and even that is debatable.

We still vaccinate against polio and diphtheria, because polio and diphtheria, you know, still exists.

Any time you can achieve and maintain vaccine-induced herd immunity against a disease which can cause death and disability is basic common sense, regardless of whether it is currently circulating.

Just like the last lockdown here where we had to wear masks for an extra week - just until Friday at this stage this time...

- The three-day lockdown in the Perth and Peel regions will end at 12:01 am Tuesday
- Interim restrictions, including mandatory mask-wearing, will be implemented for four days
- Western Australia recorded no local transmission overnight

Just like the last lockdown here where we had to wear masks for an extra week - just until Friday at this stage this time...

- The three-day lockdown in the Perth and Peel regions will end at 12:01 am Tuesday
- Interim restrictions, including mandatory mask-wearing, will be implemented for four days
- Western Australia recorded no local transmission overnight
If I remember correctly, it was never mandatory to wear masks in SA at all except for in medical clinics. That's why it's so baffling that we need to wear masks while we walk to our seats at the Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back