Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Chance to add to his the 2 coaches votes he got in round 3? That would be v 16th and now 17th on the ladder.

We should be concerned.

I think you’ve got more things to be concerned about.

Like the literal existence of your club, considering you are substantially worse than the clubs sitting 17th and 16th.

Parish has been pretty decent this year tbh. Bombers fans have been patient but looks like he might be a solid AFL player

exactly why selling the farm for Dunkley wasn't a good idea.

Hopefully people get this now.

This is a deluded take. Parish is a midget, he doesn't have nearly the same physical presence as Greenwood in the stoppages.

this didn't age well.

Well it's been a week and they haven't been banned yet. Successful Learnings.
Carlton fans better get used to hearing that

Dodo is going to be ok with one 1st rounder for Merret? The same dodo the passed on the Swans - Daniher offer?
We won't match.

But even if we do. What does Merrett get us? What specifically is Dunkleys value for you?

BombersDave

Senior List
Oct 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Question for the neutrals, does the injury affect his trade value?
Good question. I wouldn't think so. If he doesn't get back this year then he's still had a blistering start playing his preferred inside mid position and you would be fairly confident the injury won't affect him going forward. Only way his value possibly drops is if he comes back and does it again but can't see that happening.

Assuming you get a top 10 pick for Merrett (not looking like a top 5 pick now) that would convince the Dogs I reckon. Whether Essendon would want to do that now is another matter.
Dunkley for a top 10 pick? Not a chance.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
If the Dogs didn't accept what Ess had to offer last year, they certainly won't take a singular top ten this year from them. His value has increased, even if he doesn't play again this year. His first six-game have seen him in the top five mids in the game. Even with the game appearing to now be played more on the outside, he appears to be one of the big-bodied mids that have managed to still retain form on the inside game (probably due to having a good outside game too + his speed). The only way I could see Ess now needing him (or going after him) is if they moved on Shiel, which I highly doubt they would even though Dunkley appears to be a much more suitable player. With the onset of Parish, picking up of Caldwell and the other mids - Merrett, McGrath + Stringer as a pinch hit/impact clearance player etc, I don't think it makes much sense for Ess to go after him anymore, even though I'm sure he'd be a huge addition. Throw in Perkins who needs a year or two to get bigger + more experience too. The asking price is far to high for a position that Ess have depth in now, just needs time to develop those guys + things fall into place.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
It makes 0 sense for us to trade him this season. We're going to be aiming for a flag next season and what Dunkley provides vs his current wage is too great to even consider moving him on unless it gave us a star KPD.

He will still be worth a top 10 pick after next season when out of contract
As much as I'm sure you'd love to keep him, you may not have a choice. The depth of your midfield + the amount of players you're needing to keep + the money they're going to want given their form, he may just be squeezed out. Has a similar feel to how GWS were built a few years ago and a few of their players were unfortunately squeezed out due to cap space. It's interesting to see how most people rate the Dogs mids, given just how much of magnet Dunkley is with the ball. Most people you talk too think players like Libba & Trealor are now ahead of him, given Libba's ability to get in tight/his clearance ability and Trealors sheer ability to break the lines. It's going to be another interesting trade period for Dunkley for sure. I'm sure he's in a better mindset than he was last trade period given the shape of the Dogs but I'm just not 100% sold on him staying put just yet. I'm also sure money isn't everything too him, so success is probably a bigger driving factor for him but I also know that being paid appropriately doesn't go astray in mindset either. After the year he has had, he's well and truly a $800-900k player. Can the Dogs afford that with everyone else they need to pay?! It's going to take a lot of rejigging to make it happen given the other pieces of the list puzzle they need to fit in. Is it worth squeezing out a few maybe lesser profile, but just as important/impactful players though. Gonna be really interesting.

Back