Injury Injuries 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Suddenly the injury list looks not so good.

Amazing how things can change so quickly.

Players we can least afford to lose from here are Bont, Keath, Naughton, Macrae, Martin.
It's definitely a battle of attrition, but be assured that most teams will have a larger than normal injury list.

Facts are, more soft tissue injuries will be the consequence of having a cap of 75 rotations, as well as going from 16-minute quarters to 20-minute quarters. It's not ideal.

Players we can least afford to lose from here are Bont, Keath, Naughton, Macrae, Martin.
It’s a bad week but we’re in pretty good shape. Keath is a biggie. If he got injured I think I’d be doing a complete 180 on my ‘Naughton forward’ stance.

Keath then daylight honestly. As good as Bont is, we have mid depth so at worst we go from an elite midfield to a very good one.

Lose Keath, and we go from an elite defence to a dogshit one since our last remaining options are Young and Cordy.

Keath then daylight honestly. As good as Bont is, we have mid depth so at worst we go from an elite midfield to a very good one.

Lose Keath, and we go from an elite defence to a dogshit one since our last remaining options are Young and Cordy.

I disagree that we have any depth concerns on any line. I think we could lose all of Bont, Keath, Martin, Macrea, Bruce and Libba still win a whole lot of games.

A mid field made up of Treloar, West, Smith, Lippi, Hunter and Garcia, plus a defense centered on Naughton, Buku plus Wood and a forward line of Jamarra, Schache, English and Hannan would still beat up on a lot of teams.

Our depth is scary good.

Not facts

I assume you are referring to Clay overruling the club doctors when they advised him he had done his ACL but wanted to go back on anyway.

Explain how this is a lie and not a fact ?

My original post was about our medical staff being stronger in circumstances such as this and Josh on the weekend.

No idea why you would call someone a liar because of that.

Just a dumb response mate.

I assume you are referring to Clay overruling the club doctors when they advised him he had done his ACL but wanted to go back on anyway.

Explain how this is a lie and not a fact ?

My original post was about our medical staff being stronger in circumstances such as this and Josh on the weekend.

No idea why you would call someone a liar because of that.

Just a dumb response mate.

You literally said our medical staff had form, referring to Clay Smith’s ACL v St Kilda. As you can see from the investigation, this was not a case of the medical staff sending him back on from their own volition.

It’s not too late to say you were wrong on this occasion, instead of trying to have a go at me.

edit - I do get what you’re saying with the rest of your post, I’m just highlighting that part. I can’t find the interview where Clay said he knew it could be the last time he’d get to play, so it was 100% his call as they had told him it had gone. There wasn’t any chance of keeping him off the field on that day. That situation can’t really be compared with Dunkley as we don’t know how the first assessment and conversations went, perhaps in time but the medicos can only be blamed if they basically tell them to get back out there, or have completely ****ed up the initial assessment. Then by all means they deserve a whack

Last edited:
You literally said our medical staff had form, referring to Clay Smith’s ACL v St Kilda. As you can see from the investigation, this was not a case of the medical staff sending him back on from their own volition.

It’s not too late to say you were wrong on this occasion, instead of trying to have a go at me.

edit - I do get what you’re saying with the rest of your post, I’m just highlighting that part. I can’t find the interview where Clay said he knew it could be the last time he’d get to play, so it was 100% his call as they had told him it had gone. There wasn’t any chance of keeping him off the field on that day. That situation can’t really be compared with Dunkley as we don’t know how the first assessment and conversations went, perhaps in time but the medicos can only be blamed if they basically tell them to get back out there, or have completely f’ed up the initial assessment. Then by all means they deserve a whack
Ok last one from me then. I don’t like getting into a tit for tat with a fellow dogs man, but being called a liar is kinda offensive.

The point I was making in the original post was that our medical staff need to be stronger in such circumstances. They should have said no to Clay at the time and they should have said no to Josh last weekend if in fact he said he wanted to go back on and they allowed it.

Maybe that wasn’t completely clear but that was the common denominator when I said we had form in this area. In hindsight, perhaps poor choice of words on my behalf.

edit - I do get what you’re saying with the rest of your post, I’m just highlighting that part. I can’t find the interview where Clay said he knew it could be the last time he’d get to play, so it was 100% his call as they had told him it had gone. There wasn’t any chance of keeping him off the field on that day. That situation can’t really be compared with Dunkley as we don’t know how the first assessment and conversations went, perhaps in time but the medicos can only be blamed if they basically tell them to get back out there, or have completely f’ed up the initial assessment. Then by all means they deserve a whack

At the ground on the day, I think every fan in the stadium thought Clay should not come back on. I thought it was a poor look for the club, regardless of the fact the knee was already gone. I think the same with Dunkley. I know he would have needed surgery anyway yet it doesn't look good. I find it strange that we have increased care for the head, yet anywhere else on the body its a free for all.

At the ground on the day, I think every fan in the stadium thought Clay should not come back on. I thought it was a poor look for the club, regardless of the fact the knee was already gone. I think the same with Dunkley. I know he would have needed surgery anyway yet it doesn't look good. I find it strange that we have increased care for the head, yet anywhere else on the body its a free for all.

I was at that Saints game, flew over from Perth for it and it was my first game in Vic since I was a little kid. Remember it pretty vividly because of that and as it all played out in front of our seats, when he took the mark on the wing and went down I just knew it was his ACL. He went down to the rooms and then came out to do some run throughs and I just hoped it was something else, obviously not the case. I know it’s not really a good look, but I can see why he would have wanted to go back on (which he later explained).

As for Dunkley, I don’t know enough about shoulders but people have said once it came out it was already screwed, so I don’t understand why once could be ok but second is full reco. If he didn’t come back on, where to? A few weeks out and some strapping to try & hold off until the end of the year? Or the same thing happens a few weeks later & then he’s definitely out for the season. The game was still in the balance at the time, even if we had the ascendancy. It may have gone back in with minimal pain and he thought he could continue, or he may have known what was coming anyway but wanted to help his team win the game. Again there would have been some degree of risk, but I’m sure the medicos would just say no if it would have been too risky.

I just want to know what Finlayson said to Dunkley when he sat up lol. Whether it was a smartass comment or actually checking if he was ok, he took a moment to look before running up field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for those interested an interview with clay from last week with kane cornes on sen 23/4 21. Pretty sad listening.

Slightly off topic, but once Williams is available, it'll be interesting to see who makes way. . On the weekend our 7 defenders were Keath, Cordy, Wood, Crozier, Duryea, Dale and Daniel. Hard to leave any out on grounds of quality, form and structural necessity.

Slightly off topic, but once Williams is available, it'll be interesting to see who makes way. . On the weekend our 7 defenders were Keath, Cordy, Wood, Crozier, Duryea, Dale and Daniel. Hard to leave any out on grounds of quality, form and structural necessity.
Reckon it would depend on who we play, but would be one of Cordy or Wood who misses out i'd imagine. May rotate them a bit in the second half of the season if we get a chance as well, at least the medium defenders.

Some good news on the injury front. English & VDM a test to return. McLean is back into full training (but will be a few weeks until his first game), whilst Bailey Williams & Gardner are expected to miss one more match before returning.

Tim English (concussion) test
Laitham Vandermeer (back) test
Bailey Williams (collarbone) 1 week
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) 1-2 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) 3-4 weeks
Ed Richards (ankle) 3-5 weeks
Lin Jong (hamstring) 10-12 weeks
Josh Dunkley (shoulder) 12-16 weeks

Some good news on the injury front. English & VDM a test to return. McLean is back into full training (but will be a few weeks until his first game), whilst Bailey Williams & Gardner are expected to miss one more match before returning.

Scott must be fine as well.

No mention of Scott? There were concerns he had been injured late in the game v Richmond.
I guess no news is good news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back