Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned gave me a glimmer of hope about him yesterday. Not great by any stretch but a bit better. I had no confidence in him to kick that goal but he did so good on him.
why werent you confident on his ability to kick that goal?.. he nailed one from an identical spot against the swans the other week..

the one he ****ed up against the suns that night was on a greasy track.. i reacon it may have been a slip of the hands on the greasy ball in the ball drop with that one as he really shanked it off the side of the boot.. didnt make the distance from 30 out and its very clear that he can make that distance easy.

i’ve loved his endeavour all year and think we should definately persist with him.. theres a player in there.. just needs to mature and settle.. it just seems at times that his brain is going a thousand miles an hour and his body cant keep up!

has he even played 10 games yet?..

Just execute, couldn't care less about how much he can niggle
I actually like him adding some niggle to our side...

I'm sure he will become better with his execution with more games under his belt.

Overall I like what I have been seeing this year.

I actually like him adding some niggle to our side...

I'm sure he will become better with his execution with more games under his belt.

Overall I like what I have been seeing this year.
Sure but if you niggle, for it to actually be effective you need to execute when it counts.

If you niggle then screw up when you have possession, you will just get laughed at.

Go as hard as you can at the ball and play smart. I don't have any problem with a player steam rolling another player if they are in the way of the ball. I encourage it. I just think the behind the play stuff of whacking players in the back 100 metres off the ball is just crap. Generally teams that aren't very good employ these tactics. Go hard at the ball, put it on the scoreboard and keep the chirp to a minimum.

Chirp amongst your team mates about how great you were after the game has been won.

I'm not advocating for cheap hits off the ball or whacking guys in general. Ill-disciplined stuff that serves no purpose and gives up frees/50s is stupid.
But, as a club for years we've had players watch on inertly when team mates get roughed up - think Vince on Dangerfield. Culture shift here is great, just need to tidy up the implementation a bit.

Yeah they were thugs but Hawthorn wasn't great due to their thug acts. I don't see Richmond being thugs out on the field. All successful teams needs to be aggressive. My attitude is to direct it in the right areas where it will have maximum effect on the outcome of the game. Genuine toughness is putting your body on the line going back with flight of the ball. I don't see genuine toughness being a pest with fake aggression when your built like a flea such as McHenry is.

Hawks were great because of literally everything they did. They could kill you with skill. They could dig in and hold tough. They weren't arrogant enough to think they were above being thugs, and the results showed. There is a large list of players who tended to play their worst against Hawthorn, and some spectacular ones too, i.e. Betts.

They were a team that truly enjoyed physically bullying the lesser lights, and reminding them that they don't deserve to be considered anywhere near Hawthorn. It was just as important as how skilled they are.

Pretty confident, I read it. When I have more time I'll go hunting for it.

Clearly from what I've seen him put on the park...there a weakness now.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
His hands in close are pretty good.

He CAN kick the ball reasonably well too, but we're only seeing glimpses of that now.

Nope, you have him mixed up with someone else maybe..I watched a shedload of Ned in his draft year both streams and live, live especially late in the season when the Falcons played several games here at Mars stadium.

AFL Draft Centrals Pete Williams draft bio:

STRENGTHS
  • Evasion
  • Tackling
  • Decision making
  • Clearances
  • Endurance
  • Team-first approach

fake news!

Seriously though, seeing decision making listed as a strength at the underage level is promising. Reinforces what i was saying about him looking better with the ball as he gets experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on you Bicks for still believing in Ned even though as a fwd mid still gets minimum possessions , continues to run over the ball and fumbles, has no size or ability to contest any sort of forward arial contest and doesn't provide a lead .
Rarely has ability to crumb the ball or to actually be dangerous around goals and lack of awareness with or without ball.
Although his endeavour and tackling is a strength he has shown in AFL that no chance tackling stronger players in motion .
Yes he has spunk using a old word but need much more than that and hope Bicks you are right might someday be a good Crows player but no way can I see him ever being worthy of pick 16. my continuing view of course.

I think people here are nitpicking about words.
What Ned brings is aggression, which quite frankly we lacked before the last couple of years.
I feel Berry brings the same, but we dont have many players who have that in them.

Aggression often transforms into niggle, which is fine. Its when it transforms into poor discipline that it hurts the team (like 2 weeks ago).

Look at a player like Papley. A huge part of their success in the AFL has been due to their aggression.

Hes got a bit to go but the signs are good that he will be at a minimum a useful player for years to come.

Pick 16 for Ned was a complete waste. I would've been happy to take a chance on him as a 3rd rounder but 16. No way.
We need to make much better choices for our high draft picks this year.

Completely disagree with this. This season he has been adding a dynamic of intensity in tackling and pressure to the team and given some more time I think he will be a regular 20 + possession winner who is creative. Should have been rewarded for at least 2 blatantly obvious holding the ball decisions on the weekend that were shockingly umpired. if he got paid those he is getting 15 + disposals.
Also at beginning of the game he hit up Tex with an accurate pass on the wing, kept running , received the 1- 2 and hit up Berg at CHF. It was really skilled play.
Not only is he a good defensive runner, when he gets a handball off, he gets immediately on his bike and is creating options.
I think ( like Fenix) that he is one of our hardest working players and that Nicks would be very happy with his buy in to the game plan.
My prediction is that there won’t be too many Ned haters this time next year.
Not everyone who gets drafted are the “plug and play” types.
Let’s wait and see how this one plays out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing that could seriously up the damage rate for Ned is to stop giving away free kicks with his pressure and have them go the other way. Averages 2 frees against a game and only 0.6 for, reverse that, especially in the F50 and there's some potential there to do damage on the scoreboard.

Agree McHenry is one of our hardest working players, he runs hard forward to give a target, he chases players down and he tackles with enthusiasm. My opinion of him has been raised significantly this season. He also seems very likeable to his team mates and fans. I quite like his accurate short passes in a team where so many players repeatedly miss the target (eg McPherson).

On the other hand he looks like a very fit A1 amateur league player without the skill set, elite endurance, or the height and body strength of a mid-range SANFL player let alone an AFL player. I hope he keeps improving from awful to good over a few years like ROB, but unfortunately we really need a major upgrade. He would not get a game in any top 8 team.

Agree McHenry is one of our hardest working players, he runs hard forward to give a target, he chases players down and he tackles with enthusiasm. My opinion of him has been raised significantly this season. He also seems very likeable to his team mates and fans. I quite like his accurate short passes in a team where so many players repeatedly miss the target (eg McPherson).

On the other hand he looks like a very fit A1 amateur league player without the skill set, elite endurance, or the height and body strength of a mid-range SANFL player let alone an AFL player. I hope he keeps improving from awful to good over a few years like ROB, but unfortunately we really need a major upgrade. He would not get a game in any top 8 team.

Oh I disagree, if Ned was at Richmond, he'd have been on 50-70 games and played in (and won) two grand finals by now. Ned is a Richmond player through and through. The type Hardwick and co. froth over.

Ned wouldn't make all finals side. Heck he wouldn't make all bottom 10 sides. He's a player who firmly needs to be in the right situation to have a long career, and will fall out quickly if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Completely disagree with this. This season he has been adding a dynamic of intensity in tackling and pressure to the team and given some more time I think he will be a regular 20 + possession winner who is creative. Should have been rewarded for at least 2 blatantly obvious holding the ball decisions on the weekend that were shockingly umpired. if he got paid those he is getting 15 + disposals.
Also at beginning of the game he hit up Tex with an accurate pass on the wing, kept running , received the 1- 2 and hit up Berg at CHF. It was really skilled play.
Not only is he a good defensive runner, when he gets a handball off, he gets immediately on his bike and is creating options.
I think ( like Fenix) that he is one of our hardest working players and that Nicks would be very happy with his buy in to the game plan.
My prediction is that there won’t be too many Ned haters this time next year.
Not everyone who gets drafted are the “plug and play” types.
Let’s wait and see how this one plays out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sure, you make some fair points

but I don’t see what that has to do with whether he’s worth his draft slot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back