Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd like to get some clarification on what people think so far: Is Dylan Moore slow?

I can't work it out. I would say he is slow. Some people agree with me, some people say he is pretty quick. (And if he is not slow, then he must pick and choose when to sprint because he can't catch anyone).
I think he has a solid top speed, but doesn't look like it because of his running style/doesn't hit it super often.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd like to get some clarification on what people think so far: Is Dylan Moore slow?

I can't work it out. I would say he is slow. Some people agree with me, some people say he is pretty quick. (And if he is not slow, then he must pick and choose when to sprint because he can't catch anyone).
I'd say he's going to have to be a "hard worker" for his entire career, but you can build around that, once he gets consistent at it. This then allows the Brockmans etc to "show off" their flair. Well I hope so anyways.

It's a case of working out which "hard workers" we should keep going forward, as a team of "hard workers" doesn't beat top end class, when it matters.

He may prove me way wrong, which would be brilliant.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think he is average to below average with pace, but the one thing he really has going for him is his touch. He doesn't fumble. His hands are elite. It gives him space and time.

I hope that his fade out of games, when he goes missing, isn't because he is off the pace. It could be crucial - a difficult obstacle for a small forward.

Still, a lot of people think he does have pace. (You would think so, given his height and his junior athletic career).

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think he is average to below average with pace, but the one thing he really has going for him is his touch. He doesn't fumble. His hands are elite. It gives him space and time.

I hope that his fade out of games, when he goes missing, isn't because he is off the pace. It could be crucial - a difficult obstacle for a small forward.

Still, a lot of people think he does have pace. (You would think so, given his height and his junior athletic career).
Is Bruest quick or smart?

Its arguably the hardest position to play after CHF.

It's going to be interesting to watch his progress regardless, to see him reduce the times he fades in and out of games simply by just being played.

I'm not suggesting he's going to Bruest - before I get shot on here.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Slow over 50 metres.
Fast over 150 metres when it's late in quarters.

Strong runner for 4 quarters and gets by on hard work. The often mentioned Kane Lambert comparison has certainly been proven correct in the first 5 rounds. Next step for Dylan is to have those games where he gets 25 touches through sheer gut running. Much like his Gold Coast game last season.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Sammy can teach him a side step he sounds like sammys love child, ultimately I still think his best position isn't forward

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who replaces him? Brockman comes in as the traditional small, and Hanrahan floats a bit higher up the ground?
Not sure. I think I would do a re shuffle and push Impey up the ground and consolidate on a pretty strong backline mix.
Its a tough call to make as there are few guys that can run like Dylan and have the scoreboard impact when the opportunity presents itself. I recon you just keep getting as many games into him as possible and hope he picks up his natural attacking flair while doing the team stuff. When he doesn’t seem to be on it looks like he is considering the structural work too much

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Dylan has a few credits in the bank now. He still had a few nice moments on Sunday and was singled out by Titch in the post game interview for his forward pressure.

Might take a few goal-less weeks before his spot is called into question.

Cyril and Poppy didnt always kick goals. They put out enormous pressure. Always.

Breust was the one always kicking goals.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Dylan has a few credits in the bank now. He still had a few nice moments on Sunday and was singled out by Titch in the post game interview for his forward pressure.

Might take a few goal-less weeks before his spot is called into question.
Agree, I don’t think Moorey is at risk of being dropped. Not only we don’t have a plethora of pressure forward options, we also want Chad to spend more time up the ground. I think his workrate is still there and is contributing. He has carved out a role for himself and I would like to see him stay in the team for this year.

One thing that I haven't seen (given I can only watch on TV) is the work that he's doing without the ball. Anyone able to give insights into what he's doing with his supposed running ability? I would imagine he can play quite a part in pulling apart defenses to provide space for forwards by doing a lot of movement up and down the ground. Think it would also be good to give him a run on a wing, though not sure he's got the penetrating kick we really require.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have a low key theory about Dylan Moore:

For me; he has had two stand out performances: (1) When GC didn't turn up in the last round 2020 and it was a rout; and (2) the third quarter v Essendon iin round 1 of 2021 when Essendon completely dropped their guard (he didn't really feature in Qrts 1,2 or 4).

On the weekend v St Kilda, he came into the game in the last third of the game when it turned into a practice match. Thus he leaves the game v St Kilda with respectable numbers.

With Dylan it is often famine and sometimes feast: i question whether his standout periods of performances so far at AFL level have been a bit sketchy - per the above. I am waiting for Dylan to be among our best players, or just be present, when the heat is on and the game is contested. I have a hunch Dylan Moore is thriving when we have the ascendency and he is the kind of player that would naturally suit playing in a really good team (junk time player).

Playing small forward, as a position, is not as hard as it used to be (pre 2010) when you were mostly judged on your goal tally.

DM needs to start binging some consistency from quarter to quarter for me to be convinced. Or perhaps we should try him on the wing.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I have a low key theory about Dylan Moore:

For me; he has had two stand out performances: (1) When GC didn't turn up in the last round 2020 and it was a rout; and (2) the third quarter v Essendon iin round 1 of 2021 when Essendon completely dropped their guard (he didn't really feature in Qrts 1,2 or 4).

On the weekend v St Kilda, he came into the game in the last third of the game when it turned into a practice match. Thus he leaves the game v St Kilda with respectable numbers.

With Dylan it is often famine and sometimes feast: i question whether his standout periods of performances so far at AFL level have been a bit sketchy - per the above. I am waiting for Dylan to be among our best players, or just be present, when the heat is on and the game is contested. I have a hunch Dylan Moore is thriving when we have the ascendency and he is the kind of player that would naturally suit playing in a really good team (junk time player).

Playing small forward, as a position, is not as hard as it used to be (pre 2010) when you were mostly judged on your goal tally.

DM needs to start binging some consistency from quarter to quarter for me to be convinced. Or perhaps we should try him on the wing.

That's omitting his 3 goals and courageous grab against Fremantle with our backs against the wall and suggesting that Essendon stopped footballing collectively allowing Dylan to downhill ski his way to 14 touches and 3 goals in a quarter.

I personally view it as a player who doesn't have any tricks but gets every bit out of himself through hard work. On Saturday he had 7 touches and 3 marks in the first half playing half forward for a team who had 6 scoring shots in an hour of football. They aren't even bad numbers considering the circumstances. Personally thought he was in our best 6 on Saturday over 4 quarters. Was involved consistently throughout the game and generally looked more comfortable with ball in hand than many of his team mates.

I am waiting for Dylan to be among our best players, or just be present, when the heat is on and the game is contested. I have a hunch Dylan Moore is thriving when we have the ascendency (junk time player).
And you are able to come to this conclusion by completely ignoring 3 goals in a quarter to be a major factor in turning around a 40 point deficit?

"Oh, the other team didn't turn up"... Righto. We must have already been in the ascendancy, somehow...

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

His endurance is elite but like Menegola, his burst pace is just normal. From his draft profile... https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/dylan-moore/

OVERVIEW
Dylan Moore has had a super season at all levels, starring for Vic Metro, Eastern Ranges and for Caulfield Grammar in the Victorian APS school boy competition. Moore is a small midfielder who can win the contested ball, with good clearance and tackling numbers. Whilst at his size he might not progress to an inside in-and-under role in the AFL – Moore has the nous and skill set to push forward and hit the scoreboard when he plays inside 50. Moore averaged 25.7 disposals and 5.8 tackles in the TAC Cup – with a contested possession rate of 51 per cent. Moore’s clearance work is superb and his elite endurance means he can run hard all day, having won the 2km time trial at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. At APS school level, Moore had multiple 30 plus disposal games – including a 36 disposal and six goal performance against Melbourne Grammar.

STRENGTHS
  • Endurance
  • Kicking
  • Contested ball
  • Clearance work
  • Scoreboard impact
Moore can run all day and has the endurance to play in the midfield. Moore is one of the best runners in the AFL Draft pool, placing first in the NAB AFL Draft Combine’s 2km time trial with a time of six minutes nine seconds, and finishing in second place in the Yo-Yo test with a score of 22.3. When he plays, he is rarely tired – able to give multiple efforts when required right into the last quarter,

Moore has a good right foot kick and he is able to find targets short and over a longer distance. His footy smarts help him by being able to get to the right areas to win the ball and to also find an effective target long or short when required off his right foot.

Moore’s contested ball numbers are also impressive – with a 51 per cent contested possession rate in the TAC Cup and he was just under the 50/50 split during the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships. Despite standing at 65.9kg and 175.8cm – there has been no concerns with him being able to win the contested ball, at stages up against bigger bodies who are 15-20 kilograms bigger. He doesn’t get pushed off the ball and will crack in hard no matter what the situation is.

His clearance work is very good, having no issues in traffic to spread the ball out to the outside runners. His quick and clean hands are a strength in the contest and he can spread it out to his teammates and bring them into the game. In the TAC Cup, Moore averaged 4.6 clearances and three clearances in the National Under 18 Championships.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Speed
  • Goal kicking accuracy
While standing at 175.8cm, Moore is one of the rare smalls who doesn’t possess elite speed. During the NAB AFL Draft Combine, Moore’s testing time of 3.14 seconds is a touch slower than a time tested by previous small forwards. In the mould of 2017 Premiers Richmond’s small forward line – all having “elite” speed small forwards in Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna and Daniel Butler, an area that Moore may be able to improve is his speed.

One small area that Moore could improve is his goal kicking accuracy. At times he can rush his kicks on the run inside 50 and see them miss the goals. In one school football game against Wesley College, Moore booted 0.6 in what was a tough day in front of goal from the Caulfield Grammar best and fairest winner.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 30-50

SUMMARY
Dylan Moore has shown his contested ball winning skills in 2017 and despite his small stature he hasn’t been put off by wanting to put his head over the ball and crack in hard. His tackling and clearance work is very good, suggesting he can play a role in the midfield if required. His pressure up forward and footy smarts are outstanding, with Moore able to slot in as a small forward at the next level where he can hit the scoreboard.

Back