Insightful Media Coverage

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If he is playing he is fit...
it’s irrelevant who brought it up but it was a prime example of the laziness he and the team has.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really, you're going to call nicnat lazy. He might be playing slightly injured but he is anything but lazy. He still got 7 clearances (the most of any eagle) and 2nd for the match out of a team total of 35. He also had 13 disposals and 3 tackles. I dont have the hitout to advantage numbers but im sure he dominated those as well and from only 62% match time he was still the dominant ruckman on the ground.

Or calling Gaff lazy. He may have played a s**t game with very little offensive output but he was one of the very few who kept going the whole time, playing a role completely unsuited to him. Guess who also had 7 clearances. Gaff did. To put it into perspective our next best at the clearances was ******* O'niell with 4 followed by redden with 3. Everyone else had 2 or less. The same Gaff who led us for metres gained and was 1 off leading us for marks. Yes he may have got run down a couple of times, he may have had poor disposal (maybe because he didn't have much to kick to) and it may have been a poor game for him.

You can go and apply the blowtorth to at least 15 other players before you get to these two so but you can * right off with calling nicnat or gaff lazy.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Gotta love browny, no leadership. Maybe when you have your 2 vice captains, captain and former captain all out it impacts leadership on the ground
Well, he's not wrong. We did have no leadership, which is an indictment on the senior players who were on the ground.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Really, you're going to call nicnat lazy. He might be playing slightly injured but he is anything but lazy. He still got 7 clearances (the most of any eagle) and 2nd for the match out of a team total of 35. He also had 13 disposals and 3 tackles. I dont have the hitout to advantage numbers but im sure he dominated those as well and from only 62% match time he was still the dominant ruckman on the ground.

Or calling Gaff lazy. He may have played a sh*t game with very little offensive output but he was one of the very few who kept going the whole time, playing a role completely unsuited to him. Guess who also had 7 clearances. Gaff did. To put it into perspective our next best at the clearances was ******* O'niell with 4 followed by redden with 3. Everyone else had 2 or less. The same Gaff who led us for metres gained and was 1 off leading us for marks. Yes he may have got run down a couple of times, he may have had poor disposal (maybe because he didn't have much to kick to) and it may have been a poor game for him.

You can go and apply the blowtorth to at least 15 other players before you get to these two so but you can fu** right off with calling nicnat or gaff lazy.

Did i not say the whole team was lazy??
Nic might have got these stats but that comes when the ball is in his area... The Stanley goal was the prime example of how lazy he was on Saturday he didn’t want to leave the square..

Gaff doesnt chase, cant tackle and I couldn’t care how his metres gained were as im sure they probably were as high as they went long.. if you think that missed tackle on Henderson was acceptable for even a first year player then standards aren’t high. He is a highly paid player who this year has given very little to the side

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Gaff battled very hard as did Redden. JD was outstanding. Noc is injured but worked hard.

What other senior players were out ther?
Well, when Simmo's claiming that the players 'eyes are glazing over' that reeks of a lack of leadership.

I understand that Shuey, Hurn and Kennedy are out and McGovern went off but guys who have played +150 games should at least be able to get the guys fired up.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Did i not say the whole team was lazy??
Nic might have got these stats but that comes when the ball is in his area... The Stanley goal was the prime example of how lazy he was on Saturday he didn’t want to leave the square..

Gaff doesnt chase, cant tackle and I couldn’t care how his metres gained were as im sure they probably were as high as they went long.. if you think that missed tackle on Henderson was acceptable for even a first year player then standards aren’t high. He is a highly paid player who this year has given very little to the side

Nic plays as an inside mid once the ball up happens. If his opposing ruckman runs away as fast as possible to make himself a marking option in attack it is the defence's job to cover. You don't take your most dominant asset out of his dominant area.

Secondly gaff covers more ground per game than any other player in the league. Tell me, how would you go running 15 km's a game to get to position to be an out man for your team and then trying to tackle a guy who is 10cm taller than you, 10kg's heavier than you and more athletic than you? You are correct on one thing however. Gaff's output to the side has been down, but he is being forced to play a role not suited to him on the inside and that is down to our lack of other options due to injury and coaching decisions. What he is paid is irrelevant, I never saw Lockett busting clearances out in the same way gaff shouldn't. It's not his job, it's not within his skillset or ability. The fact he had 7 clearances is an indictment on simpson and the other players, not gaff.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

As big of a nuffie as Brown can be at times, I think he has a roundabout point here - although not in the "NicNat is lazy" way.

This looks like Nic's been instructed to maintain position in the centre, in which case what was the strategy to cover his man who is now free to float back and forward at will? Just let the backs cover the extra man? Send another mid into defence?

Thats a tactical utensil-up more than laziness I reckon.

EagleMan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
As big of a nuffie as Brown can be at times, I think he has a roundabout point here - although not in the "NicNat is lazy" way.

This looks like Nic's been instructed to maintain position in the centre, in which case what was the strategy to cover his man who is now free to float back and forward at will? Just let the backs cover the extra man? Send another mid into defence?

I saw Cole put his hand up for that first goal, even though Duggan had just drifted off him.

You beat me to it.

i didn't see it as a "that's my man but I'm not going". It looked more like "I need to get to where I am supposed to be". I mean - Nic never really ever goes deep with the opposing ruckman. If that was against instructions the coaches would've picked it up by now.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Last night was the most media coverage we have had all year, including smashing Flag favs Port.

Guess it takes having a third of our starting 18 out injured and getting smashed at ground we haven't won at for 15 odd years against a team missing possibly 2 starting 18 players.

At least the boys a getting a proper rev up.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Last night was the most media coverage we have had all year, including smashing Flag favs Port.

Guess it takes having a third of our starting 18 out injured and getting smashed at ground we haven't won at for 15 odd years against a team missing possibly 2 starting 18 players.

At least the boys a getting a proper rev up.
When you get beaten by 97 points and put up a showing like that, you pretty much get what you deserve IMO.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

The biggest tactical issue we have at the moment is the continued assumption that we will win the centre clearance (even when teams have kicked 3/4 or even 10 goals in a row).

Nic is NEVER used as a defensive weapon. He can hit to areas so we can't get burnt - but clearly the instructions are to be attacking.

The result, as we have seen against both the Saints and the Cats, is our inability to halt momentum.

It's on the coaches (not just Nic and the mids), but surely they need a plan B after 2/3 consecutive goals to stop the easy 'out the front of the stoppage' clearances (or if there is a system, review it, because it isn't working!).

When you get beaten by 97 points and put up a showing like that, you pretty much get what you deserve IMO.

I agree with this. We absolutely deserve to get roasted for the tripe we served up against Geelong. It was insipid and tbh, due to the ongoing problems at Collingwood in particular and to a lesser extent the Saints and blues you could argue the media hasn’t gone as hard as it could’ve

What I’m annoyed about is it takes a near 100 point defeat to get any coverage in supposedly national AFL coverage. Port have only lost one game this year when they where comprehensively dismantled by West Coast. Barely got a mention at the time

So no issue with deserved negative press when it comes our way but find a balance ffs

On a broader note, the tendency for AFL media to focus and report on negatives actually diminishes my engagement with the game and I don’t think I’m alone in that view

Last edited:
Back