Autopsy Round 6, 2021: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be a nice change to see our mids and forwards leading hard and fast to the ball carrier to make options, instead of hanging back hoping for the easy ball..no wonder we just bomb to goal. Get with it Ratts, it's basic footy.
We took 4 marks on the lead inside 50 in the firstquarter. That is a lot. That is when we had enough Ball. When we didn’t have the ball it’s hard to hit leads.

FFS we aren't trading billings

Not trading him, letting him run free. Just not matching if he explores free agency. We can't afford to pay top dollar for good but not great players, we've maxed our cap on GOPs to replace the GOPs we already had. He's probably on more than Dangerfield. We have traded out of drafts to stack the cupboard with recycled limited players, have few picks and need to start bringing in quality kids for the future.

We have nothing much to trade so losing Billings and Ross is one way to stop doing what isn't working and start to rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild. We have 2 gun players Steele and Marshall, until we find some more we are going to keep bumbling along. It would help if we found a gun recruiter first or we might end up just doing what we always do and burning picks.

Linking long balls to bombs maybe not what they want. Let’s face it if you move the ball quick through run and carry the long ball to king should work as he could easily be one out. If you move the ball slowly and no one runs with you and wants to receive you are forced to bomb. Our lack of uncontested posssessions shows there was no run and carry.

They literally bunch all our forwards into a cluster. It makes absolutely no sense as they get surrounded by back men. Their backs sit across the front of the pack or run in from the side and constantly pick it off. I was at the Melbourne game thinking they were dumb forwards but apparently we train it. I'm not sure who is in charge of the forwards this year but it's like the most amateur thing you've ever witnessed. If you look around the league guys who run straight line leads at the ball are back in vogue and kicking bags. We are trying to play the same game as last year where the ball falls out the back to our smalls.

Your mate Bevo apparently doesn't play Wallis as a high half forward despite winning the goal kicking at the Dogs last year because he said that role doesn't exist in footy this year. Other coaches have identified that you need to adapt. We are writing formal letters delivered on horseback in the email age. You adapt or die.

Dare say the sanctions, all justified, played a huge part in their demise for two decades.

It psychologically ****ed them too. They have been a serial under achiever for a long time. Losing guys like Daniher and Fantasia to injury didn't help but no matter who they brought in they couldn't change their output on top of that.

Positive news? Lol
As much as hill has some traits I don’t like he’s getting stitched up by his teammates as can be seen on the xavier Ellis tweet.

Long just burns him and turns the ball over, I don’t think it has anything to do with hill personally as we did the same thing to Sinclair when he played on the wing. I think we have some dumb footballers, saints games are riddled with players ignoring teammates in good space and kicking to contested situations.

As much as hill has some traits I don’t like he’s getting stitched up by his teammates as can be seen on the xavier Ellis tweet.

Long just burns him and turns the ball over, I don’t think it has anything to do with hill personally as we did the same thing to Sinclair when he played on the wing. I think we have some dumb footballers, saints games are riddled with players ignoring teammates in good space and kicking to contested situations.

When I saw that video it looked like the players have lost trust in each other, also seems to be a directive to not short pass. That's one of those videos that looks incriminating without context. If he'd sat the ball up a bit better and a forward sprinted to get to it it would have been magic. But our confidence is so shot we kick OOTF without any pressure now. Long has had trouble staying in games but his disposal has always been good.

I'm watching the game for the first time properly. (When it was live, I had to do with sneaky glances during family BBQ) I just got through the first half.

My observations:
Based on the first two quarters you'd say Joyce, Carlisle, Long, King and maybe Hill and Clarke were the worst. All had a hand in breaking down Saints attacks and handing goals to Port.

Zac Jones went alright, I saw a lot of bile spat his way on earlier posts here so he must have had a puuuutrid second half because he got his hands on the ball a lot and did well especially in the first quarter.

Marshall does so much for our side he's definitely our MVP.

Carlisle up forward was just a naive and pointless tactical move. I like him but I think he's done or can only be used sparingly and only in defence. He looks like Cowboy Neale out there - I mean the current version unfortunately. When Ryder comes in and allows Marshall to come into I50, we can let Jake spend matchtime blowing his salary in the TAB in his filthy cardie.

No but seriously, Ryder and Marshall in the team from rd 1 would have given us a very different season. C'est la vie. The lesson here is we need to find a goalkicking ruck replacement for Ryder pronto that has plenty of years in the AFL ahead of him.

That moment where Howard went for the hanger and have Boak a goal and Coff grabbed Howard, don't think it was agro. Seemed to be saying "Don't worry, it's done now focus we need you back in the game" type of thing. Whatever it was I liked it, only strengthens my feeling Coff should be in the leadership group.

Why the * do all the commentators have such a hard on for Chas Dixon? Yes he's got a beard and tatts, so does my local barrista. They chuckle away, acting like he's some interesting character like Robbie Muir, you can tell they all fantasize about watching him "entertain" their wives, it's a bit pathetic really.

Port are really well drilled. In fact everyone looks well drilled compared to us, who don't look drilled at all. It's inexcusable for us to be so soft and slow, but I'm really hoping that we are going to get started now and have just started slowly with the aim of peaking at finals time. Still, we don't seem to know what we're doing, which is alarming.

Why when we are coming out of D50 do we always kick to a risky contest near the boundary? Do you think we could occasionally attack the centre - without turning it over? It really shouldn't be hard to do for AFL standard players.

Too much jogging around and not enough hunger at the moment in general from Saints players. Not getting anymore finals footy that way, you pack of amateurs; step up or step off. Sinclair is a prime example, but it's rampant throughout the team, they're playing like they've all got Covid.

I'm a massive critic of Seb Ross, so I'll admit he played a great first half for all the good it did. I still would trade him before any of his teammates, but it's good that he had a couple of quarters where his disposal didn't give the oppo control of the game.

Max King was awful and may need some time in the VFL to get his mojo back. Maybe playing Hawks and a tantalising Battle Of The Kings will be enough to refresh him. Hope so because he is costing us dear right now.

I didn't see the point of bringing Joyce in. We needed more runners, not an anonymous Gaelic beanpole. Still good on Ratts for trying to blood a new kid, we need something. Maybe he'll improve.

Mackenzie is making the most of his opportunity, just like Ed Phillips did. Oh. Shop window time unless he actually gets past that stage and becomes required. But Dan just shave your head like GAJnr did and have done with it, it's no shame to go bald early in life and you look a loser trying to push the fringe down over your forehead. Focus on the contest and leave your hair alone. You and Battle too, shave those moustaches, they're not hip or cool you look like 1970s pedos.

I was feeling like we can't even beat Hawthorn the way we're going but after watching that and picturing Ryder in, I'm feeling dangerously optimistic that we might be about to replicate our dazzling and still talked about 2020 winning streak of rds 7-10. Boy oh boy, I'm a sucker for punishment.

Final point: I really feel bad for BLong, but I feel he is headed to the VFL for a long time until he wins back his teammates' trust. Appauling form right now, don't know what's happening with him but he's right on the precipice watching his AFL career fizzle and die. I hope he does what he needs to fight on, before he becomes this year's Mav Weller.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it though. I looks much the same. Bruce out King in is probably long term better. Stuv out Steele in means we lost one gun mid replaced with another gun mid. Ross was a 30 plus possession mid now he's a bit lost apart from yesterday. Billings is still a softish highly skilled player who is a bit shy of being very good. Newnes types have been replaced with inconsistent low output types just like the ones we lost but with less interest in winning etc. We look exactly the same to me the only upgrade is the rucks and one is close to retiring.
Gringo our side is far better skill wise and more upside
Howard , I would say is far more value than Brown just because he will mark and kick the ball
Paton , good replacement for Geary
Clark , highly skilled upside
Coffield , highly skilled upside
Higgins , highly skilled upside
Butler , up grade on Weller
Wilkie , a good backman
Marshall is head and shoulders above Longer and Hickey

anyway you get my drift , then add on Crouch and Hill who have not set the world on fire yet but we know they are class players , also the others like Gresham , Billings , Jones , Membery are all better than average.

Sorry but you can see our side is far better with massive upside.
Newnes was average and was gifted games when he should of been dropped - his last 2yrs for us were shocking.
Armitage was finished after he had the one good year then he signed his contract , the same can be said with Roberton.
Weller , well what can I say - he was in our leadership team and I would not of had him in the team but is how bad we were traveling.
Bruce was a capable forward but one year with over 50 goals doesn't make a good key forward.
All of the heavy lifting was done by a injured Reiwoldt , Montagna , Steven and Ross.
3 on those players are hard to re-place because Roo is a club champion but who to say King can't at least be better than average and out of our mids the Steven and Ross who where very good servants for the club could any of the take on a Dangerfield , Oliver , Cripps or Martin and beat them like Steele has done.

The telling thing in our team is Ross , he is a great worker as a mid but boy when he gets the ball he holds up play a lot and doesn't use it as good as he should and this is why he will never be a topline midfielder in the big scheme of things.
In other words he doesn't hurt teams.

I really thought we could beat Port last week and at the start I thought we were on track and then they just could not get the score on the board and it was all over .

Anyway now we let's see Marshall , Steele , Crouch and Jones settle and get some games together we should see a improvement .

I'm watching the game for the first time properly. (When it was live, I had to do with sneaky glances during family BBQ) I just got through the first half.

My observations:
Based on the first two quarters you'd say Joyce, Carlisle, Long, King and maybe Hill and Clarke were the worst. All had a hand in breaking down Saints attacks and handing goals to Port.

Zac Jones went alright, I saw a lot of bile spat his way on earlier posts here so he must have had a puuuutrid second half because he got his hands on the ball a lot and did well especially in the first quarter.

Marshall does so much for our side he's definitely our MVP.

Carlisle up forward was just a naive and pointless tactical move. I like him but I think he's done or can only be used sparingly and only in defence. He looks like Cowboy Neale out there - I mean the current version unfortunately. When Ryder comes in and allows Marshall to come into I50, we can let Jake spend matchtime blowing his salary in the TAB in his filthy cardie.

No but seriously, Ryder and Marshall in the team from rd 1 would have given us a very different season. C'est la vie. The lesson here is we need to find a goalkicking ruck replacement for Ryder pronto that has plenty of years in the AFL ahead of him.

That moment where Howard went for the hanger and have Boak a goal and Coff grabbed Howard, don't think it was agro. Seemed to be saying "Don't worry, it's done now focus we need you back in the game" type of thing. Whatever it was I liked it, only strengthens my feeling Coff should be in the leadership group.

Why the fu** do all the commentators have such a hard on for Chas Dixon? Yes he's got a beard and tatts, so does my local barrista. They chuckle away, acting like he's some interesting character like Robbie Muir, you can tell they all fantasize about watching him "entertain" their wives, it's a bit pathetic really.

Port are really well drilled. In fact everyone looks well drilled compared to us, who don't look drilled at all. It's inexcusable for us to be so soft and slow, but I'm really hoping that we are going to get started now and have just started slowly with the aim of leaking at finals time. Still, we don't seem to know what we're doing, which is alarming.

Why when we are coming out of D50 do we always kick to a risky contest near the boundary? Do you think we could occasionally attack the centre - without turning it over? It really shouldn't be hard to do for AFL standard players.

Too much jogging around and not enough hunger at the moment in general from Saints players. Not getting anymore finals footy that way, you pack of amateurs; step up or step off. Sinclair is a prime example, but it's rampant throughout the team, they're playing like they've all got Covid.

I'm a massive critic of Seb Ross, so I'll admit he played a great first half for all the good it did. I still would trade him before any of his teammates, but it's good that he had a couple of quarters where his disposal didn't give the oppo control of the game.

Max King was awful and may need some time in the VFL to get his mojo back. Maybe playing Hawks and a tantalising Battle Of The Kings will be enough to refresh him. Hope so because he is costing us dear right now.

I didn't see the point of bringing Joyce in. We needed more runners, not an anonymous Gaelic beanpole. Still good on Ratts for trying to blood a new kid, we need something. Maybe he'll improve.

Mackenzie is making the most of his opportunity, just like Ed Phillips did. Oh. Shop window time unless he actually gets past that stage and becomes required. But Dan just shave your head like GAJnr did and have done with it, it's no shame to go bald early in life and you look a loser trying to push the fringe down over your forehead. Focus on the contest and leave your hair alone.

I was feeling like we can't even beat Hawthorn the way we're going but after watching that and picturing Ryder in, I'm feeling dangerously optimistic that we might be about to replicate our dazzling and still talked about 2020 winning streak of rds 7-10. Boy oh boy, I'm a sucker for punishment.

Final point: I really feel bad for BLong, but I feel he is headed to the VFL for a long time until he wins back his teammates' trust. Appauling form right now, don't know what's happening with him but he's right on the precipice watching his AFL career fizzle and die. I hope he does what he needs to fight on, before he becomes this year's Mav Weller.
great post

Is Long ignoring him or is his ability to see the field simply not good enough. Is Hill calling for the ball, or just expecting it. Everyone says we are a quiet team on field, maybe it’s time the coaches teach them to talk more.

When I saw that video it looked like the players have lost trust in each other, also seems to be a directive to not short pass. That's one of those videos that looks incriminating without context. If he'd sat the ball up a bit better and a forward sprinted to get to it it would have been magic. But our confidence is so shot we kick OOTF without any pressure now. Long has had trouble staying in games but his disposal has always been good.
I don’t think we’ve used the ball particularly well for years.

I’ve seen long turn it over way too often to ever call his disposal good, I’d say he’s a good kick of the ball and I love his long sweeping handballs but his vision and decisions are poor. When I look at our team one of the striking things is our lack of explosive athletes or even high intensity players. It‘s like we’ve hired all the supporting cast but haven’t signed any of the leading actors.

I often wonder how much better some of our guys would look with a few genuine A grade rampagers beside them, we don’t even have many with a bit of mongrel.

Gringo our side is far better skill wise and more upside
Howard , I would say is far more value than Brown just because he will mark and kick the ball
Paton , good replacement for Geary
Clark , highly skilled upside
Coffield , highly skilled upside
Higgins , highly skilled upside
Butler , up grade on Weller
Wilkie , a good backman
Marshall is head and shoulders above Longer and Hickey

anyway you get my drift , then add on Crouch and Hill who have not set the world on fire yet but we know they are class players , also the others like Gresham , Billings , Jones , Membery are all better than average.

Sorry but you can see our side is far better with massive upside.
Newnes was average and was gifted games when he should of been dropped - his last 2yrs for us were shocking.
Armitage was finished after he had the one good year then he signed his contract , the same can be said with Roberton.
Weller , well what can I say - he was in our leadership team and I would not of had him in the team but is how bad we were traveling.
Bruce was a capable forward but one year with over 50 goals doesn't make a good key forward.
All of the heavy lifting was done by a injured Reiwoldt , Montagna , Steven and Ross.
3 on those players are hard to re-place because Roo is a club champion but who to say King can't at least be better than average and out of our mids the Steven and Ross who where very good servants for the club could any of the take on a Dangerfield , Oliver , Cripps or Martin and beat them like Steele has done.

The telling thing in our team is Ross , he is a great worker as a mid but boy when he gets the ball he holds up play a lot and doesn't use it as good as he should and this is why he will never be a topline midfielder in the big scheme of things.
In other words he doesn't hurt teams.

I really thought we could beat Port last week and at the start I thought we were on track and then they just could not get the score on the board and it was all over .

Anyway now we let's see Marshall , Steele , Crouch and Jones settle and get some games together we should see a improvement .

Newnes was played injured towards the end and coming off zero preseasons. He's limited but tried hard. Now we have limited but coasting. I actually agree with Joey, there is a balance to having players from outside the club. If there is too many the ownership isn't there.

We need to get moving on list management. We had to fill lots of holes in because of our terrible drafting from 2002 until 2017 and sacrificed draft picks to do it. What's Steven Wells doing?

We probably have to chase some money ball players, leaders and draft with all our high picks. We probably had to build a somewhat competitive list base to build off because of Trout's drafting. Usually when you rebuild you keep a dozen of your best talent and leadership types and push talented kids through. Our older generation came and went and now we have very little up top.

In 2 years our older guys 29 to 31 will be Carlisle, Ross, Webster, Hill, Wood, Crouch and Kent (assuming that Ryder and Geary are done). Membrey, Dunstan, Sinclair and Jones coming up under that and Billings a year behind them.

It's a pretty depressing scenario with not a lot of leadership in that lot.

1 minute 10 seconds in the video. Talked about how they’re not fond of having to go short kicks when the long kicks get cut off. 4th quarter was “better” as they got some long balls to King who managed to at least touch the ball
I think he means we aren't fond of short, shallow entires inside 50 and would prefer deeper entires, which we managed to get more of in the last quarter.

Is Long ignoring him or is his ability to see the field simply not good enough. Is Hill calling for the ball, or just expecting it. Everyone says we are a quiet team on field, maybe it’s time the coaches teach them to talk more.
The lack of talk has never been more obvious than against richmond.

Even when we were still in the game we had three players flying against one and three watching while Bolton marked uncontested.

Given how much we were down by at that point, it might also be that Long was getting worried about how poorly he was playing so went into self preservation mode and gave himself the stat when what we needed no matter the scoreline was for the best team decision to be made.

I thought it was purely a skill error by Long. Hill didn't spread far enough or urgently enough IMO. Long would have effectively been handballing to someone right next to him. By the time Long kicked the ball, Hill should have been 15 metres in front and to the right of Long if he was in the best position.

I don't think either of them should play this week anyway.

Ive been as heavy a critic of Brad Hill as anyone but honestly if hes sore its probably as good a time as any to give him a rest.

His form is off, his hunger doesnt look great and if Ratts is adamant he wont drop him then this is the way to give him a break without it being an omission.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back