Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The umpires mics should be turned off the broadcast.

or.

The umpires should not blow the whistle when a mark is taken - unless the players aren't aware.

I don't get why it is now just standard to have the umpires voices and whistle ON every game.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
It's time to start giving bonus points for teams scoring 100+ in a game. If we want scoring to get higher than ~85 points each per game, then tweaking the rules just won't cut it, we need to make sure teams actually want to play attacking football
Good in theory but too much advantage to Stinky Etihad Stadium or whatever its called home ground sides.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

situationz

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne, Golden State Warriors
It's time to start giving bonus points for teams scoring 100+ in a game. If we want scoring to get higher than ~85 points each per game, then tweaking the rules just won't cut it, we need to make sure teams actually want to play attacking football
Why is this being disliked? Isn't the fact that it's unpopular the whole point?

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Deliberate out of bounds needs to be completely revamped. Current “lack of intent to keep in play” rule is a joke. Any disposal that initially lands in the field of play that then goes out should not be penalised-irrespective of intent. Frees should only be paid for a kick out on the full, a handball out on the full or where a player carries the ball over the boundary line, whether or not tackled. In other words, dispose of the ball in the field of play and you’re OK.

Foff the Sherrin. Get a decent footy.

Go to 16 team with bigger lists.

Abolish North, Blues and Tainted. Establish a Tas team. Bigger lists mean greater capacity to play games without 7 day breaks.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Deliberate out of bounds needs to be completely revamped. Current “lack of intent to keep in play” rule is a joke. Any disposal that initially lands in the field of play that then goes out should not be penalised-irrespective of intent. Frees should only be paid for a kick out on the full, a handball out on the full or where a player carries the ball over the boundary line, whether or not tackled. In other words, dispose of the ball in the field of play and you’re OK.
Totally, a ridiculously subjective and unnecessary rule that has become increasingly poorly enforced. Surely turning the ball over into a 50-50 throw-in is reward enough for applying pressure to an opponent. We need less grey areas in officiating, not more.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bring in the SANFL rule

last team to kick or handball over the line its an oppo free.

and 25m penalties not 50m

Seems to work well

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Imagine the Pies list manager's face when that rule is brought it. Grundy's already way overs contract suddenly becomes twice as bad when stoppages halve.

Would else ruin the value of people like Cripps who thrive in stoppage.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Totally, a ridiculously subjective and unnecessary rule that has become increasingly poorly enforced. Surely turning the ball over into a 50-50 throw-in is reward enough for applying pressure to an opponent. We need less grey areas in officiating, not more.
It's not a reward for applying pressure, it's a punishment for killing the play.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Foff the Sherrin. Get a decent footy.

Go to 16 team with bigger lists.

Abolish North, Blues and Tainted. Establish a Tas team. Bigger lists mean greater capacity to play games without 7 day breaks.
I agree, but a 17 team comp. Who cares about Sydney.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not a reward for applying pressure, it's a punishment for killing the play.

So punish everybody for "killing the play" then, not just the one's subjectively perceived as doing it on purpose (i.e. defenders for the vast proportion of the decisions). What does it matter if you "kill the play" accidentally or on purpose - out on the full, push in the back, high contact, incorrect disposal etc don't just punish those who would seek to do it deliberately.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
So punish everybody for "killing the play" then, not just the one's subjectively perceived as doing it on purpose (i.e. defenders for the vast proportion of the decisions). What does it matter if you "kill the play" accidentally or on purpose - out on the full, push in the back, high contact, incorrect disposal etc don't just punish those who would seek to do it deliberately.
There is a difference between having play die of natural causes, and putting it in a choke hold until it's reached its demise.

situationz

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne, Golden State Warriors
Here's another unpopular opinion of mine: Port Adelaide isn't all that exciting to watch. They tend to take the sting out once they've wrapped up the win – that St Kilda game was one of the most boring all year, and the last quarter vs Carlton wasn't much better.
I prefer teams that like to go for the kill, the Western Bulldogs come to mind.

Last edited:
Here's another unpopular opinion of mine: Port Adelaide isn't all that exciting to watch. They tend to take the sting out once they've wrapped up the win – that St Kilda game was one of the most boring all year, and the last quarter vs Carlton wasn't much better.
I prefer teams that like to go for the kill, the Western Bulldogs come to mind.

Me too - I loved the 2007-11 period when you had great times like Geelong-Hawthorn-Collingwood-St Kilda just utterly pounding teams every week and ending up with 150+ percentages at the end of the season.

Back