Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Davo-27 Who do you think is the top 5 now then?

thats a good question, (unfortunately we didnt get to see enough of Jacob Van Rooyen and Matthew Roberts as they were in a forward zone that got little action - 2 goals and maybe 30-40 not very clean inside 50's???) maybe something like...
Jason Horne
Nick Daicos
Matthew Johnson
Campbell Chesser
Josh Rachele

but players can come back with good performances and change my mind, others that are knocking on the door would be

Josh Sinn
Jacob Van Rooyen
Matthew Roberts
Ned Long
Sam Banks
Tyler Sonsie
Neil Erasmus
Joshua Browne
Josh Fahey

things change as you see good performances or poor performances, so its an ever changing landscape until the season is over.

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
yea its not a super draft, i think some people went a bit over the top with that statement, looking at you edps :p
A proper quote would have been nice but I still found it! Honestly in the under 16s Victorian’s looked fantastic particularly Sinn and Sonsie but it looks like having no football last year has severely impacted them. To an extent Daicos also has the advantage of training with Collingwood for a fair chunk but he looks head and shoulders about the other victorians atm.

I was at the game live and it seriously made me question my opinion on this draft class. Wouldn’t have effected the result to much but Academy missed plenty of top 20 talent and a few names that really shouldn’t have made the squad and atleast 6 off the top of my head really should have made it in.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also a group of kids who would never have played together coming up against a team of men who regularly play together and have an actual game plan under a regular coach. Wouldn’t read too much into strength of the draft on that

Sounds like Daicos is starting to put some space on the pack. Another year where the top prospect is off the table

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Also a group of kids who would never have played together coming up against a team of men who regularly play together and have an actual game plan under a regular coach.
In most years the academy squad is named the year before and they get to play and train together aswell. Only one session of training the week of game day against a red hot Geelong VFL lineup that looks likely to feature at the pointy end of their season playing on a home deck.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
A proper quote would have been nice but I still found it! Honestly in the under 16s Victorian’s looked fantastic particularly Sinn and Sonsie but it looks like having no football last year has severely impacted them. To an extent Daicos also has the advantage of training with Collingwood for a fair chunk but he looks head and shoulders about the other victorians atm.

I was at the game live and it seriously made me question my opinion on this draft class. Wouldn’t have effected the result to much but Academy missed plenty of top 20 talent and a few names that really shouldn’t have made the squad and atleast 6 off the top of my head really should have made it in.

i dont think the draft pool is as deep this year as you hinted at last year, Sinn is a fantastic player with some disposal issues, but it could have been 2 rough games and he could come back later in the year and push for top 5, Sonsie has also had 2 rough games, but could come back into contention for 5-10 or even top 5 depending on the championships, but at this stage i personally think they are just outside that atm, i hope they play games to show their best.

i expected the AFLA to lose as i didnt see the quality of the 2018 and 2019 drafts where they beat the VFL Teams, i didnt expect them to lose by well over 100 points and only kick 2 goals, which were amazing efforts by Williams and Rachele btw.

im just annoyed that most of the forwards got little to no footy and we couldnt really get a read on where they are at... but c'est la vie

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
i dont think the draft pool is as deep this year as you hinted at last year, Sinn is a fantastic player with some disposal issues, but it could have been 2 rough games and he could come back later in the year and push for top 5, Sonsie has also had 2 rough games, but could come back into contention for 5-10 or even top 5 depending on the championships, but at this stage i personally think they are just outside that atm, i hope they play games to show their best.

i expected the AFLA to lose as i didnt see the quality of the 2018 and 2019 drafts where they beat the VFL Teams, i didnt expect them to lose by well over 100 points and only kick 2 goals, which were amazing efforts by Williams and Rachele btw.

im just annoyed that most of the forwards got little to no footy and we couldnt really get a read on where they are at... but c'est la vie
A strong Vic Metro usually means a strong draft and they were dominant at the 16 champs with some good players not even making their final squad. The depth looked good from two years ago but a lot can change in 2 years, keen to see how the NAB League goes once it’s mostly 18s and 17s as the standard should be higher with more talent playing (No offence to the 19s but a lot aren’t up to it).

Plenty of talent today where found wanting defensively as they have been used to attacking. I think Fahey was the only player to get the balance right today between attack and defence and he was the only player giving instruction that I could hear at the ground aswell, coaches would have told them to play to their strengths but they can’t all be one way players or else you get belted by 130 points 😂

Also a group of kids who would never have played together coming up against a team of men who regularly play together and have an actual game plan under a regular coach. Wouldn’t read too much into strength of the draft on that

Sounds like Daicos is starting to put some space on the pack. Another year where the top prospect is off the table
I’m certainly a bit surprised by how much this has been overlooked.
These academy kids have come from all corners of the country and had 72 hours to prepare for a game together after not playing much at all last year and missing out on getting to know a lot of each other over the last 12 months, like years gone by.

As of right now we have the best hand in this years draft.

FE5486EE-D4AD-4593-B798-EDB98C631EB5.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

danielG

All Australian
Jun 27, 2009
richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone know if there’s a link to the AFLA vs Geelong VFL replay?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Save yourself the bother, it was a terrible watch...The kids were decimated in every way and the only guys to show much Hawks won't / don't have access to..Daicos, kick chaser, but does it very well...Horne, mature beyond his years, but struggled to get much of it at all..Sonise, the kid I was hoping to see something from was abysmal...and Sinn & Chesser didn't play..Johnson and Roberts had little to no impact...

DeafHawk

Senior List
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Davo-27
For Mid-Draft we need back up fwd/ruck with Reeves in near future

I'm Looking for similar type like Luke Jackson or Riley Thilthorpe
How are they performimg?
Jacob Edwards
Max Heath

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Davo-27

How are they performimg?
Jacob Edwards
Max Heath

For mine any potential A grade player whos been overlooked. The draft is looking pretty good already. surely there are gems

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Davo-27

How are they performimg?
Jacob Edwards
Max Heath

Jacob Edwards is a ruck/forw, has kicked a few goals this season, he looked competitive in the ruck and good around the ground also, he has decent agility for a big man, he is the more flexible option

Max Heath was a bigger body and more solid in the Hit Outs, more your stock standard ruck who wins hit outs and floats around the ground as a big man target.

i dont think either is as good as Jackson or Thilthorpe as they were top 5 players from their draft year, both look draftable and might be mid draft if available in the 2021 AFL Draft later in the year, but i expect with the hype that Jacob Edwards has had he will be picked up and maybe Max Heath as well seeing as he has had hype from last year off of 1 pre-season game so they probably needed to see more proof of improvement and i think he might have shown enough to be a mid season option.

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Save yourself the bother, it was a terrible watch...The kids were decimated in every way and the only guys to show much Hawks won't / don't have access to..Daicos, kick chaser, but does it very well...Horne, mature beyond his years, but struggled to get much of it at all..Sonise, the kid I was hoping to see something from was abysmal...and Sinn & Chesser didn't play..Johnson and Roberts had little to no impact...

Yeah, managed to see the first half, but had to head out in the second. I still find it interesting, despite the overall poor performance. I pick up the little things the more I watch games. Completely understand what you’re saying tho...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DeafHawk

Senior List
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Davo-27
Who are the young promising midfielder who have pace, break lines with long precision kicking into inside 50's

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hope the academy result is more a disjointed year last year impacting development rather than a lack of talent in this years draft. We really need the top 25 to be stacked.
Be heaps of bolters that will push their way in later in the year, top 20 will look very different than the current predictions

How does Lansburger envisage Collingwood getting enough points to match a pick 2 bid, (2500 points) with only a couple (or 3?) third round picks in their hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back