These players need to go in the next year or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you agree

pendles , keane, mayne , greenwood , ruscoe, sidebottom ,roughhead ,thomas, hoskin elloit, sier, tohill, madgen, cox
No - Pendlebury , Keane, Tohill.

Maybe - Ruscoe, Sidebottom, Roughead, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Sier, Madgen, Cox. Outside of Ruscoe who's listed here simply because I haven't seen enough to judge I think rest of this group all have something to offer even if it's just as depth. In the case of Sidebottom a twilight career spent in the forward line could be an asset. Most would be worth more to us than what we'd get in trade value and we simply can't have our list getting any younger. If others step up or we land a few decent recruits their tenure becomes more suspect as the need for mature aged depth decreases.

Yes - Mayne, Greenwood

No - Pendlebury , Keane, Tohill.

Maybe - Ruscoe, Sidebottom, Roughead, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Sier, Madgen, Cox. Outside of Ruscoe who's listed here simply because I haven't seen enough to judge I think rest of this group all have something to offer even if it's just as depth. In the case of Sidebottom a twilight career spent in the forward line could be an asset. Most would be worth more to us than what we'd get in trade value and we simply can't have our list getting any younger. If others step up or we land a few decent recruits their tenure becomes more suspect as the need for mature aged depth decreases.

Yes - Mayne, Greenwood
Playing devils advocate, would you consider trading Pendles fora reasonable pick to enable us to get into this years draft? Would be something akin to Clarkson moving Mitchell on, a similarly credentialed players in terms of awards AA etc. A club may also use Pendles in some kind of coaching capacity to kick of a new career post playing as was done for Mitchell

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate, would you consider trading Pendles fora reasonable pick to enable us to get into this years draft? Would be somethign akin to Clarkson moving Mitchell on, a similarly credentialed players in terms of awards AA etc. A club may also use Pendles in some kind of coaching capacity to kick of a new career post playing as was done for Mitchell
Sidebottom yes, Pendlebury no. Just feel at his age Pendlebury wouldn't net us much in terms of it a pick and that his leadership is too important especially with a developing side.

Do you agree

pendles ,

He’s mortal, and so will have a use-by date. But until then we need his leadership around the joint. Without a mature framework we’d just be a team of youngsters like Suns, GWS, Carlton have been over the last decade (except without all those first round draft picks)

He’s played 2 games of AFL footy ... bit harsh there. He may work out or he may not ... but if we’d culled players who’d shown less after 2 games than Keane has, we’d have no Dane Swan Brownlow medalist.

Tick. At 32 years quite clearly approaching the end of his career. Not controversial at all.

greenwood

Ditto

, ruscoe,

Send him home to Mum for a few weeks, she’ll sort him out.

sidebottom

Similar situation to Pendlebury.

,roughhead

Yeah, probably, but what talls do we have coming through?

Tick

hoskin elloit,

Never understood the hate myself. He’s got amongst the safest pair of hands in the team. Yeah, he’s not our best player, and he does go missing in games, but he’s hardly Robinson Crusoe there. If we do lose him in the next few seasons that’ll be a good sign that we’re developing a good team.

You’re gutting our midfield of Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Greenwood, JT, and Sier. Who is going to replace them? And are they ready?

Dunno. As an Irishman learning the game he gets longer to develop than others, but there mustn’t be very much time left for him.

Who are we going to replace him with? He plays a role ...

... and that role shouldn’t be shutting down McDonald Tipungwuti ... that wasn’t his fault.

Yep

Playing devils advocate, would you consider trading Pendles fora reasonable pick to enable us to get into this years draft? Would be somethign akin to Clarkson moving Mitchell on, a similarly credentialed players in terms of awards AA etc. A club may also use Pendles in some kind of coaching capacity to kick of a new career post playing as was done for Mitchell

IIRC Hawthorn basically got a fourth round pick for Mitchell. Would you trade Pendlebury for a fourth round pick?

Pendlebury’s value on the open market would be the leadership and professionalism he would bring to a young list ...

... and who is in more need of that than us?

Sidebottom yes, Pendlebury no. Just feel at his age Pendlebury wouldn't net us much in terms of it a pick and that his leadership is too important especially with a developing side.

Sidebottom will net us less , the guy has lost interest in football and his disposal by foot is as ineffective has it has been over the last 4 years , unfortunately a second rounder at best, Pendlebury stays till the end of his career playing off half back linking up and transitioning with the mids-forwards , like a Joe Montana type quarterback.

Yep, I don’t think Pendles is on the way out yet.

What might change is he spends less time in the midfield in his final years.

What’s hurting him is we don’t have any great midfielders coming through to fill the void he will leave in the midfield.

Or do we? Do we know what Macrae, Rantall, Bianco, Daicos x2, McInnes and Poulter will offer?

Or do we? Do we know what Macrae, Rantall, Bianco, Daicos x2, McInnes and Poulter will offer?
Should have been clearer, but I'm talking more about the age group that consists of the 23-27 years olds which is the generation after Pendles and Sidebottom. There's a gap in quality there and it shows as Pendles and Sidey are still heavily relied upon in the middle.

I remain hopeful of the under 22 players as you listed above.

Yep, very bullish on Daicos X 2 , Quaynor, McCrae , Poulter, the nucleus is there for the midfield, with Adams leading the way , need 2 more to kick on in there and we will not be far away, who will it be ? McInnes, Sier, Bianco, Rantall !

Should have been clearer, but I'm talking more about the age group that consists of the 23-27 years olds which is the generation after Pendles and Sidebottom. There's a gap in quality there and it shows as Pendles and Sidey are still heavily relied upon in the middle.

I remain hopeful of the under 22 players as you listed above.

All good, I knew what you meant, just throwing a devils advocate response on the table. Realistically, our midfield is only Treloar, Phillips and Wills off what was available last year. Treloar only played 10 of the possible 20 games, Phillips 15 (although very little through the midfield), and Wills 8. The primary difference 2020 to 2021 is that Adams played 19/20 and Daicos has had a slow build this year. Hopefully it turns pretty quick.

It's 1999 all over again.

When MM started, he pretty much gutted our list over two seasons ... and then we made two GFs (because Shaw played nothing but kids in 99).

This year has to be about what kids we think are going to be part of the future ... Wrighty needs to make sure that's the focus.

We also have no first round this year - the year we're going to finish low on the ladder, effectively handing GWS a top draft pick (damn me we're so incompetent - how about Wrighty sacks the list management crew first, starting with Ned Guy?). We're going to need to trade out to get a decent pick.

Should make that a pay per view event, i know i'll pay to watch that. :p :D

No idea why I keep seeing this nonsense about Pendlebury needing to be on his way out. Most had him best-on for us, and he's been thereabouts for most of the year, while being our best non-rucking mid by a large margin. Just because he's old people are expecting (almost seems as if they're wishing it to be proven right) him to decline. He's still A-grade
He leads the AFL in goal assists this season with 13, next best has 11

I'm happy to wait till seasons end before making these types of calls on players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you agree

pendles , keane, mayne , greenwood , ruscoe, sidebottom ,roughhead ,thomas, hoskin elloit, sier, tohill, madgen, cox

Yuk - absolutely not unless you want to finish up like Carlton

The only certainties from this list to go are Greenwood and Mayne.

Pendles - got another couple of seasons in him

Keane - haven't seen enough of him to make an assessment

Ruscoe - needs a year in the VFL for development - needs another season

Sidebottom - an interesting one - has a couple of years left and might be of interest as a trade to a club in contention

Roughhead - stays

Thomas - should be transitioning him to VFL over this season and back up depth only. Little trade value

WHE - I'm not a fan at all - but cant see us off loading him.

Sier - I would trade

Tohill - not sure about him

Madgen - I would delist - not AFL standard

Cox - I would offer up for trade for whatever we could get for him. Or keep him as a back up on a cheap contract

IIRC Hawthorn basically got a fourth round pick for Mitchell. Would you trade Pendlebury for a fourth round pick?

Pendlebury’s value on the open market would be the leadership and professionalism he would bring to a young list ...

... and who is in more need of that than us?
There is no way in the world would i trade Pendles, nor would i force retirement to someone who has given his entire professional, and a chunk of his personal time i daresay, to the Club. He can go at his choosing knowing he would not hijack the club in any way.
I'm drawing a parallel to other employees of the club who similarly have given everything to the club and lots of folk want shoved out the door yesterday.

Pendlebury? Nah....

He should stay.

Buckley has simply utterly failed to develop a single midfielder in his 10 years as a senior coach (Treloar and Adams were pinched), so that's why he has to rely on a 33yo to carry the midfield. Any other coach with half a brain would've moved him to the backline ala Hodge or something a few years ago.

Daicos?

Phillips? (before trade).

I mean, I don't think he's done enough, but a bit of balance.

My problem is he sticks with the same battlers and gets rid of the the points of difference/highly skilled players.

Who in their right mind would want any of or play-
WHE/Thomas/Mayne/Greenwood/ Madgen/C Brown
I think Sidie might be past it. I hope he proves me wrong
Pendles is still great, but not quite the same from what i have seen so far this year. Perhaps that's because of the limited support he has got.. or old man time

I'm happy to wait till seasons end before making these types of calls on players.
Agreed. However...
Must go end of this year if we are to look to rebuild with kids (in order of urgency to delist)
*Cox - delist or trade for peanuts. failed experiment.
*Mayne - good clubman but in my eye Murphy has already overtaken him with one sighting and a good performance in a losing team. Mayne no longer relevant in this faster pace game
*Madgen - we know his ceiling (he is at it now). It is ok, but not adequate and not worth clogging the list. ,You need to try to upgrade your list, and keep trying draftees.
*Greenwood (unless he has a great 2nd half of the year)
That's 4 senior players on a young list so depending on performance, and to my eye, WHE & Thomas, Roughead, Howe, Adams can play a senior role for the time being. *Pendles is untouchable and cant get rid of Sidey just yet.
*The whipping boys T & C Brown are also worth keeping because there is upside in them regardless of what the haters say
*Sier is on notice, but he needs to play and build his tank. If he cant run, then he doesnt belong in this game. But i like what he brings to the team on the inside. Just needs to build that tank.
*Ruscoe, back to the Twos and make him earn his spot this year. I dont really see much in him, but i didnt see much in Swan either and he turned out ok.
*Ditto with Kelly. Just not ready or just needs a good run in the Twos to earn his spot.
*Keane to play every game.
*Tohil replace Madgen. Definite upgrade and massive upside once he gets a few games under his belt. I really like the look of Tohil from his games in the Twos. Deserves his chance ASAP.
*Cameron & Lynch developing ruck/backup for now.
*The draftees lime Macrae, Rantall, Poulter, Henry all get some game time without throwing them to the wolves. Bianco also when he is back from injury.
I have left some out of the conversation, but they are mostly just locks for the future.

So yes... I agree, I dont like making calls on these types of players until season ends....

Clarification...

We have (hopefully) Daicos and Dib arriving. Is it still compulsory use 3 picks in the national draft?

And assuming we take 2 in the mid season draft and wish to retain them at years end

That would mean we need to delist/trade out at least 2-3?

We’d also need to free up a Cat B spot for the new Senegalese kid. Delisting or promoting one of our current Cat B rookies.

Agreed. However...
Must go end of this year if we are to look to rebuild with kids (in order of urgency to delist)
*Cox - delist or trade for peanuts. failed experiment.
*Mayne - good clubman but in my eye Murphy has already overtaken him with one sighting and a good performance in a losing team. Mayne no longer relevant in this faster pace game
*Madgen - we know his ceiling (he is at it now). It is ok, but not adequate and not worth clogging the list. ,You need to try to upgrade your list, and keep trying draftees.
*Greenwood (unless he has a great 2nd half of the year)
That's 4 senior players on a young list so depending on performance, and to my eye, WHE & Thomas, Roughead, Howe, Adams can play a senior role for the time being. *Pendles is untouchable and cant get rid of Sidey just yet.
*The whipping boys T & C Brown are also worth keeping because there is upside in them regardless of what the haters say
*Sier is on notice, but he needs to play and build his tank. If he cant run, then he doesnt belong in this game. But i like what he brings to the team on the inside. Just needs to build that tank.
*Ruscoe, back to the Twos and make him earn his spot this year. I dont really see much in him, but i didnt see much in Swan either and he turned out ok.
*Ditto with Kelly. Just not ready or just needs a good run in the Twos to earn his spot.
*Keane to play every game.
*Tohil replace Madgen. Definite upgrade and massive upside once he gets a few games under his belt. I really like the look of Tohil from his games in the Twos. Deserves his chance ASAP.
*Cameron & Lynch developing ruck/backup for now.
*The draftees lime Macrae, Rantall, Poulter, Henry all get some game time without throwing them to the wolves. Bianco also when he is back from injury.
I have left some out of the conversation, but they are mostly just locks for the future.

So yes... I agree, I dont like making calls on these types of players until season ends....

Liked your first few paragraphs, stopped reading when you stated C Brown is worth keeping , there is no upside. he is a suburban footballer , always has been

Remove this Banner Ad

Back