Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Clarification...

We have (hopefully) Daicos and Dib arriving. Is it still compulsory use 3 picks in the national draft?

And assuming we take 2 in the mid season draft and wish to retain them at years end

That would mean we need to delist/trade out at least 2-3?

We’d also need to free up a Cat B spot for the new Senegalese kid. Delisting or promoting one of our current Cat B rookies.
It's no longer compulsory to use 3 picks in the national draft.

The mid-season draft is a rookie draft, so players picked up in it go straight onto the rookie list. If we pick someone up and choose to retain them at the end of the year they can be left on the rookie list.

We did leave those two rookie list spots vacant by not taking the couple of extra picks we could have taken at the rookie draft held late last year, so it's not as if we're adding "extras" onto the list. It would be different if we were replacing players who were out with season-ending injuries.

Both Tohill and Wilson are in their third (and final) year as Cat. B rookies, so we need to upgrade (or delist) them. That would leave a Cat. B spot for the lad from Senegal should we decide we want him on our AFL list, but I'm pretty certain that as he's now been signed as an International Scholarship player we wouldn't need to list him at the end of the year.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Do not agree on Sier, Cox or at this stage Roughead. The club should be doing everything possible to motivate Sier and get the best out of him because given our pitiful midfield he is crucial if we are to achieve any level of success.
Sier needs the club to motivate him?? He has lost his spot AFTER Adams was lost to injury. He is going on 25 now. He is average or below average for a midfielder in every stat except handball. He is clearly too heavy and unfit to play major midfield time. Flakey, injury prone. If the club had a brain they'd trade him at years end.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sier needs the club to motivate him?? He has lost his spot AFTER Adams was lost to injury. He is going on 25 now. He is average or below average for a midfielder in every stat except handball. He is clearly too heavy and unfit to play major midfield time. Flakey, injury prone. If the club had a brain they'd trade him at years end.
If he is all that you say he is then no other team will be remotely interested in trading for him.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
He turned 23 last December. I haven't given up on him yet, but he does need to show something this year or I wouldn't blame the club if they let him go. If he doesn't make it as a footballer it would be quite a waste, and he would only have himself to blame, as he has shown in the past that he can play the game.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed. However...
Must go end of this year if we are to look to rebuild with kids (in order of urgency to delist)
*Cox - delist or trade for peanuts. failed experiment.
*Mayne - good clubman but in my eye Murphy has already overtaken him with one sighting and a good performance in a losing team. Mayne no longer relevant in this faster pace game
*Madgen - we know his ceiling (he is at it now). It is ok, but not adequate and not worth clogging the list. ,You need to try to upgrade your list, and keep trying draftees.
*Greenwood (unless he has a great 2nd half of the year)
That's 4 senior players on a young list so depending on performance, and to my eye, WHE & Thomas, Roughead, Howe, Adams can play a senior role for the time being. *Pendles is untouchable and cant get rid of Sidey just yet.
*The whipping boys T & C Brown are also worth keeping because there is upside in them regardless of what the haters say
*Sier is on notice, but he needs to play and build his tank. If he cant run, then he doesnt belong in this game. But i like what he brings to the team on the inside. Just needs to build that tank.
*Ruscoe, back to the Twos and make him earn his spot this year. I dont really see much in him, but i didnt see much in Swan either and he turned out ok.
*Ditto with Kelly. Just not ready or just needs a good run in the Twos to earn his spot.
*Keane to play every game.
*Tohil replace Madgen. Definite upgrade and massive upside once he gets a few games under his belt. I really like the look of Tohil from his games in the Twos. Deserves his chance ASAP.
*Cameron & Lynch developing ruck/backup for now.
*The draftees lime Macrae, Rantall, Poulter, Henry all get some game time without throwing them to the wolves. Bianco also when he is back from injury.
I have left some out of the conversation, but they are mostly just locks for the future.

So yes... I agree, I dont like making calls on these types of players until season ends....

Again, you can't get rid of all your experienced depth. We already have too little. I doubt we'll see much list turnover at seasons end beyond Mayne and Greenwood, and a couple of to be specified fringe players to ensure we have the picks to have the points for Daicos & Dib

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ill give my opinions on a few on these players as well as a few more who others here have suggested as to whether or not they should be on our list come next year.

- pendles - Deserves to play as long as he desires. Done so much for this club. Verdict: Stays
- keane - Needs to improve. Verdict: 50/50
- mayne -Just depends on list needs. Has a great attitude. Verdict: 50/50
- greenwood - Same as maybe. Both have good attitudes though. Verdict: 50/50
- ruscoe - Needs some time in the reserves. Maybe a positional change. Verdict: Stays but high notice
- sidebottom: Will have value as a forward. Verdict: Stays
- roughhead: Currently no replacement and he is playing well. Seems a good culture player. Verdict: Stays
- thomas: Getting past it and although he tries, think he is one we can move on. verdict. Leaning towards leaving.
- hoskin Elliot: Maybe we could get a pick for him. Very average but at least he is versatile. Verdict: Try trade, otherwise try and de-list.
- sier: Has potential butwont realise it at Collingwood. Verdict: Try and trade but hold if it falls through
- tohill: We need to give him a game to see what he is made out of. Verdict: De-list unless he proves otherwise
- madgen: After a promising 2019, he seems to have regressed. Verdict: Try trade, otherwise de-list
- cox: While I'd say he has been a successful investment, he has to go. Verdict: Try trade, otherwise de-list
- Wilson: Needs to play a game to see what he is made of. Verdict: De-list unless he proves otherwise
- Lynch: Is a servicable back-up ruck. Verdict: Stays
- C.Brown: High pressure young player. Verdict: Stays.

Stays 1+ years
- Pendles
- Ruscoe
- Sidebottom
- Roughead
- Lynch
- C.Brown

50/50
- Keane
- Mayne
- Greenwood

Try trade
- Cox (first delisted)
- Magden
- Thomas
- Hoskin-Elliott
- Sier

show the door unless they prove otherwise
- Tohill
- Wilson

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have to, and so will the club. In this thread I reckon the OP is asking for current opinions.

Yep, and mine is wait till seasons end before making any calls like this.

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you agree

pendles , keane, mayne , greenwood , ruscoe, sidebottom ,roughhead ,thomas, hoskin elloit, sier, tohill, madgen, cox
Don’t agree with Keane, Tohill and Sire if they all become regulars. Pendles will call time when he’s done.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
That’s a ridiculous list, you have 4 talls in there in a list with basically no replacements at the moment. Keane will be the one to replace roughy, Tohill is a back up to that and can play forward or back and Cox is needed on the list until we actually have someone to replace him. Don’t say Kelly, Will will be a decent player but not a key post, he’s better as a third tall forward or back. As for the skipper, sure let’s get rid of our best player for no particular reason.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think someone with value we should look to trade is Noble. Is young but I frankly think he is at his ceiling already, which is a good ball winner but an average ball user and a not so great defender. Feel we could get a 3rd for him and play others to get a similar return (Bianco)

I think alot of people might have to come to terms that it might be awhile to get out of this ditch...

True. It’s likely to take at least a few weeks ...

... if we beat Suns and North (possible), and we get a few players back from injury, then plenty of people will be back to expecting to play finals.

With considering that any players that “need to go” will need to be replaced.

With what?

My reading of our current draft position ...

first round:
- None

Second round
- Bulldogs’ (mid 30’s?)

Third round
- Ours (40ish?)
- Adelaide (mid 40’s?)
- Freo (mid 40’s?)

Fourth round
- None

So after we use those picks on Nick Daicos, we’ll end up with Nick Daicos and who else?
Maybe a fifth / sixth / seventh rounder to replace some of those players in the OP?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
With considering that any players that “need to go” will need to be replaced.

With what?

My reading of our current draft position ...

first round:
- None

Second round
- Bulldogs’ (mid 30’s?)

Third round
- Ours (40ish?)
- Adelaide (mid 40’s?)
- Freo (mid 40’s?)

Fourth round
- None

So after we use those picks on Nick Daicos, we’ll end up with Nick Daicos and who else?
Maybe a fifth / sixth / seventh rounder to replace some of those players in the OP?

Does mean that we do have to lose at least the 4 players aligned with those live picks to activate them under a no list spot - no pick requirement. Probably at least another one for a pick for Dib.

Doesn't stop us looking at FA's though unless we lose a live pick if we take a FA.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s mortal, and so will have a use-by date. But until then we need his leadership around the joint. Without a mature framework we’d just be a team of youngsters like Suns, GWS, Carlton have been over the last decade (except without all those first round draft picks)

Keane
He’s played 2 games of AFL footy ... bit harsh there. He may work out or he may not ... but if we’d culled players who’d shown less after 2 games than Keane has, we’d have no Dane Swan Brownlow medalist.

Hoskin
Never understood the hate myself. He’s got amongst the safest pair of hands in the team. Yeah, he’s not our best player, and he does go missing in games, but he’s hardly Robinson Crusoe there. If we do lose him in the next few seasons that’ll be a good sign that we’re developing a good team.

Keane doesnt look like he has the basics or basic knowledge of a footballer. Thats the most concerning thing. Go to the draft to find a KPD

Hoskin has the output of a 1st/2nd year player in the last couple of years. Thats the concern. He is essentially in his prime age and goes missing. Not good enough. Wouldnt be on small change either

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Delist this year
Lynch , Keane , Mayne , Greenwood, Ruscoe, 1 of Thomas or Whe in the hope the other gets the realisation they wont be gifted games and on the chopping block for 2022 delistings.

On notice for 2022
C Brown, Bianco, Wilson , Tohill, Roughead,leftovers of Thomas or Whe , 1 or 2 of 2020 draftees if showing they arent up to it

Back