List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn't shoot anything down. Lol. You blindly went off statistics like you always do, not taking into account that certain players take longer to develop than others.

You said Weid had “finally developed”. Ridiculous statement.

And whether you like it or not statistics matter for a key forward. Marks, goals, scoring accuracy etc. Don’t matter if you’re built like Tarzan or Jane. Hit the scoreboard or hit the bricks end of story.

You said Weid had “finally developed”. Ridiculous statement.

And whether you like it or not statistics matter for a key forward. Marks, goals, scoring accuracy etc. Don’t matter if you’re built like Tarzan or Jane. Hit the scoreboard or hit the bricks end of story.

You would have traded Gawn to someone else for peanuts.

If you can't understand why having a proper body is so important as a KPF I can't help you.

Not interested in his body shape, just the numbers he delivers on game day at senior level. As of his sixth year on the list, these remain modest at best.
In the past it was clear he wasn't big/strong enough, that is no longer the case.

I think last year's form justifies him staying long term, and it would be nice to see him selected this year to justify this opinion.

You would have traded Gawn to someone else for peanuts.

If you can't understand why having a proper body is so important as a KPF I can't help you.

First statement is a lie. Shame on you.

And if you can’t understand why marks and goals aren’t important for a key forward then I’ll ring Yooralla for you and see if there’s a spare bed.

In the past it was clear he wasn't big/strong enough, that is no longer the case.

I think last year's form justifies him staying long term, and it would be nice to see him selected this year to justify this opinion.

I don’t disagree with you. Merely with the poster above who stated that Weideman has “finally developed”. Also, I have been posting about Weideman on the context of possibly trading him out to facilitate a move to bring Josh Kelly in. A move I would certainly make if the latter is open to coming to us.

I don’t disagree with you. Merely with the poster above who stated that Weideman has “finally developed”. Also, I have been posting about Weideman on the context of possibly trading him out to facilitate a move to bring Josh Kelly in. A move I would certainly make if the latter is open to coming to us.
I think Josh Kelly is too short term. He's a want not a need in the longer term. We would have to pay him a stupid amount which will screw up our quite balanced cap. I think the squad we have at the moment is great - Kelly is the icing we can't quite afford.

Not interested in his body shape, just the numbers he delivers on game day at senior level. As of his sixth year on the list, these remain modest at best.

I don’t think Weid has produced the goods at senior level yet either. He still needs to convince me.

That said, he was always going to take until at least 21-22 years old to be in a position to do so. His playing style requires a big body and he’s got that now - so I think we persist for another 2 seasons before even thinking about trading. We’ve done all the hard work and nows the time to see what he can do.

There’s always risk - I thought the same about Jack Watts who never quite got physical enough. Max Gawn is a pretty good example of not throwing the baby out with the bathwater too early though..

I don’t think Weid has produced the goods at senior level yet either. He still needs to convince me.

That said, he was always going to take until at least 21-22 years old to be in a position to do so. His playing style requires a big body and he’s got that now - so I think we persist for another 2 seasons before even thinking about trading. We’ve done all the hard work and nows the time to see what he can do.

There’s always risk - I thought the same about Jack Watts who never quite got physical enough. Max Gawn is a pretty good example of not throwing the baby out with the bathwater too early though..

Mostly in agreement with you Demon16. Only Weid’s not 21/22, he’s about to turn 24 in into his sixth season. By now he should be producing something in the region of what McKay is doing at Carlton (who just kicked his 5th goal against Brisbane as I was typing this). We haven’t seen it yet.

The other dynamic in this equation is that we’ve now got B.Brown, a proven key forward, on our list for the next three seasons at least. Then there’s Jackson and Gawn rotating through F50, TMac regaining some form.

There’s pressure on the Weid now to perform. Occasional glimpses and cameos won’t cut from here on out.

Mostly in agreement with you Demon16. Only Weid’s not 21/22, he’s about to turn 24 in into his sixth season. By now he should be producing something in the region of what McKay is doing at Carlton (who just kicked his 5th goal against Brisbane as I was typing this). We haven’t seen it yet.

The other dynamic in this equation is that we’ve now got B.Brown, a proven key forward, on our list for the next three seasons at least. Then there’s Jackson and Gawn rotating through F50, TMac regaining some form.

There’s pressure on the Weid now to perform. Occasional glimpses and cameos won’t cut from here on out.

McKay is one of the best/most promising key forwards in the comp. Your expectations and ideas of what everyone should become is ridiculous. Not all key forwards are created equal. Weid can still be a very good player, lots of promising signs last year. Just didn't convert at a high enough rate.

McKay is one of the best/most promising key forwards in the comp. Your expectations and ideas of what everyone should become is ridiculous. Not all key forwards are created equal. Weid can still be a very good player, lots of promising signs last year. Just didn't convert at a high enough rate.

Promising glimpses aren’t enough anymore. He’s competing for a spot in a top four side with three other talls.

Your expectations are too low.

Promising glimpses aren’t enough anymore. He’s competing for a spot in a top four side with three other talls.

Your expectations are too low.

Na, my expectations are meeting his progression. I'd be amazed if he doesn't take another step up this year.

How is Weid “finally developed”? Because he kicked 7 in a game at Casey?

At AFL level he’s kicked 46 goals in 44 games since debut in 2016. Last year was his ‘best’ year when he averaged 1.5 goals/game 3 marks/game and 8disposals/game.

At the six year mark of his career that is just going in my book. Still has a hell of a lot to prove before anyone can say “he’s arrived”.

We need out of him what Harry McKay is starting to produce at Carlton. Clock is ticking.
McKay from carlton? you mean the bloke who can't kick a goal unless its a snap so if it ever came to it is no chance to kick a goal to win the game. yeah * that give me Weid getting to the ball but not quite marking it any day. weid just needs to get stronger at taking his grabs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 2 MSD slots.

I really want a mid size forward as Fritsch cover.

Also probably worth looking at a mature hard stopper as further backup for the defence given Petty has the constant feeling of crapping himself.

McKay from carlton? you mean the bloke who can't kick a goal unless its a snap so if it ever came to it is no chance to kick a goal to win the game. yeah fu** that give me Weid getting to the ball but not quite marking it any day. weid just needs to get stronger at taking his grabs
You can actually start off your line after the siren now provided you kick over the man on the mark.

I'd trade Weid for Josh Kelly in a heartbeat. But it ain't happening. Weid can't get into the side. So his worth is slipping by the week. TMac finding form and Jackson coming on sooner than expected has created a bit of a conundrum really. A good one as we are winning and looking balanced. But Weid could be forced to look elsewhere.

I want to keep the list we have. Weid showed enough last year to suggest he's ready to step up. Maybe not to McKay levels, but body looks in peak condition, he was kicking a couple of goals every game there at one stage. It all points to him really breaking out. But he can't show that yet as he can't break into the team. Collingwood need a Weid type. He'd be perfect for them tbh. If they can somehow offer a late 1st round pick, I'd take it. Question is, whether he'd want to leave when we are on the verge finally of sustained finals action while the Pies look to be headed for a few (potential) tough years.

Billings as a FA would be a nice addition
I reckon that's a fascinating watch on this. Out of contract and no close to resigning. St Kilda not travelling well and Paul Roos has been on record stating that we would have picked Jack Billings with pick 2 had we held onto the Dom Tyson pick.

Would suit really well on a HHF or a wing for us.

I'd trade Weid for Josh Kelly in a heartbeat. But it ain't happening. Weid can't get into the side. So his worth is slipping by the week. TMac finding form and Jackson coming on sooner than expected has created a bit of a conundrum really. A good one as we are winning and looking balanced. But Weid could be forced to look elsewhere.

I want to keep the list we have. Weid showed enough last year to suggest he's ready to step up. Maybe not to McKay levels, but body looks in peak condition, he was kicking a couple of goals every game there at one stage. It all points to him really breaking out. But he can't show that yet as he can't break into the team. Collingwood need a Weid type. He'd be perfect for them tbh. If they can somehow offer a late 1st round pick, I'd take it. Question is, whether he'd want to leave when we are on the verge finally of sustained finals action while the Pies look to be headed for a few (potential) tough years.

Not sure Weid’s value drops all that much even if he plays most of the year at Casey. If he periodically kicks bags of 5,6,7 there other clubs will recognise the talent and potential.

GWS are bereft of key forward options and will get desperate to fill that void in the off season. I think it’s a watch this space. No use having a quality key tall running around in the magoos if we can convert his value into a certain starting 18 player as good as Josh Kelly.

We need to resign all of our core guns before thinking about anything else.

Spend the money resigning, hit the draft for best available picks.

Reach at the back end of the draft (third round +) if we think there’s a project available.

Our list is in such great shape right now we can afford to take this approach.

We need to resign all of our core guns before thinking about anything else.

Spend the money resigning, hit the draft for best available picks.

Reach at the back end of the draft (third round +) if we think there’s a project available.

Our list is in such great shape right now we can afford to take this approach.

I for one would rather we don’t resign all our core guns.

If we got them to re-sign, however....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back