Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
So hard to know but I'd be guessing the latter. Although I'm not overly confident about our ability to stay up, so maybe the title holds some appeal.

Don't quote me on this but I reckon Peterborough have a better side than anyone else in League 1 bar Sunderland (sorry SM). I think you guys can easily hold your own against most Championship sides, especially if you keep Clarke-Harris and RJ-J kicks on.

The Blackpool comparison isn't meant to be a bad one. They have had a lot of sh*t to deal with these past 10-15 years but they can still say they watched their club do the double over Liverpool in the Premier League. Not many have that distinction. If you guys went up then it'd be a massive boost for your club even if you went straight back down. Quality of players to get in the club, the recognition of being a PL side, finances and all that would all see a massive boon. Could also help push you guys stay in the PL more often in later years.

Styles is definitely going to be a PL regular for most sides and I reckon your CB's (Anderson/Helik) are great as well. Just on the Blackpool comparison, a fair number of their players ended up playing for PL sides for years to come (Adam, Campbell, Vaughn, Cathcart) so I don't think you guys are full of League 1 battlers. Main thing is just the depth. Norwich had a pretty good PL team on paper but they got destroyed by injuries and had guys like Tettey and whatnot having to play most weeks which is what really screwed them.

Strong Hull City 08/09 about that Blackpool side, we just managed to hang on by the skin of our teeth that probably prevented a double relegation of our own with the way we looked after that period. That and lucking into owners who felt like chancing their arm at promotion.

Barnsley would be fantastic to see in the PL next season, the more Yorkshire representation the better.

Don't quote me on this but I reckon Peterborough have a better side than anyone else in League 1 bar Sunderland (sorry SM). I think you guys can easily hold your own against most Championship sides, especially if you keep Clarke-Harris and RJ-J kicks on.

Respectfully disagree.

Our front three have 12 more goals between them than the next best combo in the division, Honeyman will rightfully win player of the season, our defence has been miserly, and Docherty has been frenetic in midfield.

Plus we then have ridiculous depth for a League One side with Max Clark, Josh Emmanuel (who tore up the first half of the season), Gavin Whyte, Slater/Smallwood on the bench (depending on who's starting, or both if Burke is at the back).

There's a reason we're going to win the league.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
The Blackpool comparison isn't meant to be a bad one. They have had a lot of sh*t to deal with these past 10-15 years but they can still say they watched their club do the double over Liverpool in the Premier League. Not many have that distinction. If you guys went up then it'd be a massive boost for your club even if you went straight back down. Quality of players to get in the club, the recognition of being a PL side, finances and all that would all see a massive boon. Could also help push you guys stay in the PL more often in later years.

Styles is definitely going to be a PL regular for most sides and I reckon your CB's (Anderson/Helik) are great as well. Just on the Blackpool comparison, a fair number of their players ended up playing for PL sides for years to come (Adam, Campbell, Vaughn, Cathcart) so I don't think you guys are full of League 1 battlers. Main thing is just the depth. Norwich had a pretty good PL team on paper but they got destroyed by injuries and had guys like Tettey and whatnot having to play most weeks which is what really screwed them.
Barnsley with PL money could elevate their spending a bit and find enough hidden gems to keep themselves up. They won't keep spending what they have been if they go up. I don't think their transfer budget has been assuming a play off run this year so they've built a squad and wage budget for mid table championship. With parachute payments at worst I think they'll spend smartly and be an interesting side in the PL.

Obviously want Brentford to go up but their form is so troubling again

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Strong Hull City 08/09 about that Blackpool side, we just managed to hang on by the skin of our teeth that probably prevented a double relegation of our own with the way we looked after that period. That and lucking into owners who felt like chancing their arm at promotion.

Barnsley would be fantastic to see in the PL next season, the more Yorkshire representation the better.

Blackpool were a bullshit Ricardo Vaz Te goal away from going straight back up and if they managed to just keep a point against Man U in either of their PL games they would have stayed up like you did in your first year.

Barnsley would be awesome to see but Brentford for the fact that they'd probably do a better job at being a consistent PL side and with the players they have already make me want them in there more.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Blackpool were a bullshit Ricardo Vaz Te goal away from going straight back up and if they managed to just keep a point against Man U in either of their PL games they would have stayed up like you did in your first year.

Barnsley would be awesome to see but Brentford for the fact that they'd probably do a better job at being a consistent PL side and with the players they have already make me want them in there more.
Brentford would be good to see up for a reward for good work growing that club slowly over the last 9-10 years. They are now at the stage promotion is a due.

Barnsley I'd love to see get an automatic promotion the following year.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Respectfully disagree.

Our front three have 12 more goals between them than the next best combo in the division, Honeyman will rightfully win player of the season, our defence has been miserly, and Docherty has been frenetic in midfield.

Plus we then have ridiculous depth for a League One side with Max Clark, Josh Emmanuel (who tore up the first half of the season), Gavin Whyte, Slater/Smallwood on the bench (depending on who's starting, or both if Burke is at the back).

There's a reason we're going to win the league.

Honeyman :)'(), Wilks, Lewis-Potter, Docherty and your defenders are all great but I reckon Peterborough's team is just as good. I'd have Clarke-Harris over Magennis or Eaves, Kent is arguably better than either of your CB's and the youf that Posh have coming through look awesome. Depth you'd win hands downbut

Hull and Boro both have better sides than the teams 20-24 in the Championship right now but I'd want Peterborough's side over Hull (not much difference between the two though). And not to stir the pot but I think my mob have the best side overall but by god do we do a great job not showing it.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Brentford would be good to see up for a reward for good work growing that club slowly over the last 9-10 years. They are now at the stage promotion is a due.

Barnsley I'd love to see get an automatic promotion the following year.

Brentford choked on the final day back in 2013 to miss out on an automatic spot to the Championship. Then they managed to lose to Yeovil Town in the Playoff Final. They went up the next year after a 19 game unbeaten run. Would be in line with recent history for the Bees if they came up this year after last year.

Barnsley with PL money could elevate their spending a bit and find enough hidden gems to keep themselves up. They won't keep spending what they have been if they go up. I don't think their transfer budget has been assuming a play off run this year so they've built a squad and wage budget for mid table championship. With parachute payments at worst I think they'll spend smartly and be an interesting side in the PL.

Obviously want Brentford to go up but their form is so troubling again
Was thinking about this a bit when I was looking at the bottom 3 yesterday and who look likely to go down. The problem with PL money is how and when it is acquired. At first you are spending money you haven’t earned, over time you can begin to spend money you have earned the previous campaign.

Established PL sides can budget for next season. E.g. the know that in 2021/22 they will have x amount of guaranteed money to spend as well as y money left over from prior years and their wage bill is z pounds . They already have a premier league standard squad so only need 2-3 decent signings.

Newly promoted sides from the championship have as you can expect championship quality squads. So they spend frantically so they can get themselves a squad that can compete, and do so with PL money they have not truly yet earned.

Usually adopting the buy cheap and buy often model to pad put the squad. But there is one area you can’t skimp in at premier league level. Goal scorers. So get to January and in the drop zone and often the cash is tight, can’t gamble with next years PL money as you may not be there and players don’t move as freely in the winter.

If you can’t score goals you go down so filling your promoted squad with a few squad fillers but no one who can score gets you relegated.

Sheffield came up two years ago and did well last season as Wilder had a different game plan to most. Now that’s been nullified the lack of goals will send them down. McBurnie and Mousset with 6 goals were top scorers last season. A nullified game plan and 7 goals from McGoldrick sees them back down.

West Brom up and likely straight back down. Pereira who they had on loan and made permanent is top scorer with 9. Diangana from West Ham spent a bit of money on and has done little. Bought a CF from championship Huddersfield. Cheap buy. Bought 9 loaned in 5.

Fulham. The same scenario. Decordova-Reid is top scorer with 5 goals. Came up via play-off so not even the best last season. Bought 4 defenders and a DM. Loaned in 2 midfielders, 2 defenders, 1 GK, 1 winger and 1 CF. No wonder they are going back down.

Brighton are staying up as you noted earlier because of xG. Newcastle are nearly down because their CF’s Joelinton and Gayle are s**t but thankfully they bought Wilson and Saint-Maximin who are good enough to keep them up.

Villa are another good example, nearly went down last season without a CF but scraped through on the brilliance of Mings/Konsa and Grealish. Possible top half now they used PL money to buy Watkins. Leeds doing well as Bamford can score goals.

Honeyman :)'(), Wilks, Lewis-Potter, Docherty and your defenders are all great but I reckon Peterborough's team is just as good. I'd have Clarke-Harris over Magennis or Eaves, Kent is arguably better than either of your CB's and the youf that Posh have coming through look awesome. Depth you'd win hands downbut

Hull and Boro both have better sides than the teams 20-24 in the Championship right now but I'd want Peterborough's side over Hull (not much difference between the two though). And not to stir the pot but I think my mob have the best side overall but by god do we do a great job not showing it.
I dunno Greaves, Burke and Jones are all fantastic CBs, there's a reason we've conceded the least goals (from more games too).

Only position I concede on is striker but Magennis has put a hell of a second half of the season together.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I dunno Greaves, Burke and Jones are all fantastic CBs, there's a reason we've conceded the least goals (from more games too).

I did say Kent is the best individually but your CB's are seriously top notch for this league. I said Peterborough have the better team but your lot have the best depth out of anyone.

Only position I concede on is striker but Magennis has put a hell of a second half of the season together.

Carn. Magennis is bang average and Eaves isn't any better. Wilks and Lewis-Potter are more likely to keep you up in the Championship.

I did say Kent is the best individually but your CB's are seriously top notch for this league. I said Peterborough have the better team but your lot have the best depth out of anyone.

Carn. Magennis is bang average and Eaves isn't any better. Wilks and Lewis-Potter are more likely to keep you up in the Championship.

I just said I concede on the striker position. :p

I'll be very happy to take Wykes off your hands in the off-season to save him another L1 campaign.. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Brentford?
Nah, blew their chance last year, had destiny in their own hands and we end up with West Brom and Fulham stinking up the top flight.

Barnsley is my paternal heritage area (Granddad and beyond), so will root for them first and foremost. Swansea was good for the PL when they had their 6-7 year spell, played good football under Rodgers and Laudrup, though I guess it's a vastly different team/style these days, did see Routledge and Naughton still around the other week though, Ayew too, so they've got some ok experience there, plus they ended Readings hopes (boring as batshit club)

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
If Brentford don't go up then I imagine half their team is gone in the summer. Dasilva, Toney, Pinnock, Mbeumo, Henry, Jensen and Raya are all great players and most are walk up starters in a number of sides in the PL.

And as much as I rate their transfer strategy and the ability to replace players they'd lose too much to push on again for awhile. It really feels like last chance saloon for the next few years for them.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Was thinking about this a bit when I was looking at the bottom 3 yesterday and who look likely to go down. The problem with PL money is how and when it is acquired. At first you are spending money you haven’t earned, over time you can begin to spend money you have earned the previous campaign.

Established PL sides can budget for next season. E.g. the know that in 2021/22 they will have x amount of guaranteed money to spend as well as y money left over from prior years and their wage bill is z pounds . They already have a premier league standard squad so only need 2-3 decent signings.

Newly promoted sides from the championship have as you can expect championship quality squads. So they spend frantically so they can get themselves a squad that can compete, and do so with PL money they have not truly yet earned.

Usually adopting the buy cheap and buy often model to pad put the squad. But there is one area you can’t skimp in at premier league level. Goal scorers. So get to January and in the drop zone and often the cash is tight, can’t gamble with next years PL money as you may not be there and players don’t move as freely in the winter.

If you can’t score goals you go down so filling your promoted squad with a few squad fillers but no one who can score gets you relegated.

Sheffield came up two years ago and did well last season as Wilder had a different game plan to most. Now that’s been nullified the lack of goals will send them down. McBurnie and Mousset with 6 goals were top scorers last season. A nullified game plan and 7 goals from McGoldrick sees them back down.

West Brom up and likely straight back down. Pereira who they had on loan and made permanent is top scorer with 9. Diangana from West Ham spent a bit of money on and has done little. Bought a CF from championship Huddersfield. Cheap buy. Bought 9 loaned in 5.

Fulham. The same scenario. Decordova-Reid is top scorer with 5 goals. Came up via play-off so not even the best last season. Bought 4 defenders and a DM. Loaned in 2 midfielders, 2 defenders, 1 GK, 1 winger and 1 CF. No wonder they are going back down.

Brighton are staying up as you noted earlier because of xG. Newcastle are nearly down because their CF’s Joelinton and Gayle are sh*t but thankfully they bought Wilson and Saint-Maximin who are good enough to keep them up.

Villa are another good example, nearly went down last season without a CF but scraped through on the brilliance of Mings/Konsa and Grealish. Possible top half now they used PL money to buy Watkins. Leeds doing well as Bamford can score goals.
Agree very much with this but even goals might not save you. Look at Pukki and Norwich

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
The Blackpool comparison isn't meant to be a bad one. They have had a lot of sh*t to deal with these past 10-15 years but they can still say they watched their club do the double over Liverpool in the Premier League. Not many have that distinction.

I didn't take it as a bad comparison, making the Premier League itself would be an absolutely amazing achievement regardless of how bad we did when we got there :thumbsu:

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Swansea have been utterly trash in the last three months of the season, so I have no faith in them going up via playoffs.

Tipping Bournemouth or Brentford to go up via Playoffs, although I would prefer Barnsley, be nice for Leeds to have another Yorkshire derby in the top flight now the Blunts are down.

Swansea have been utterly trash in the last three months of the season, so I have no faith in them going up via playoffs.

Tipping Bournemouth or Brentford to go up via Playoffs, although I would prefer Barnsley, be nice for Leeds to have another Yorkshire derby in the top flight now the Blunts are down.

If Barnsley could somehow stay up, would be nice to have four Yorkshire clubs in the PL the following season assuming Sheff U bounce back.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If Barnsley could somehow stay up, would be nice to have four Yorkshire clubs in the PL the following season assuming Sheff U bounce back.

I doubt it wlll happen, but for banter's sake, It would be fun to see Hull alongside Leeds in the Premier League. Unfortunately, I can see one oif not both yo-yo club's (West Brom and or Fulham) be promoted next season from the Championship.

Reckon the Blades will struggle next season in the second tier and will not be in the promotion hunt..

I doubt it wlll happen, but for banter's sake, It would be fun to see Hull alongside Leeds in the Premier League. Unfortunately, I can see one oif not both yo-yo club's (West Brom and or Fulham) be promoted next season from the Championship.

Reckon the Blades will struggle next season in the second tier and will not be in the promotion hunt..

Yeah I think second season blues might hit Leeds hard unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back