Corruption claim: a slug, the Police investigation, local & the State Government officials

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This has been around for a while in Victoria & today the Police Commissioner announced a review of what has gone down to date.

Victoria police to probe corruption claims over slug saga that closed catering company

In 2019, I Cook Foods was closed by the City of Greater Dandenong and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) after a series of inspections triggered by the death of a woman with listeria in a hospital the company catered.

It was later shown that the elderly woman did not die directly of listeriosis and that the level of listeria detected in food at the Dandenong South kitchen were within the food standards.

The company was charged with nearly 100 breaches of food safety laws, including the presence of a slug in the kitchen.

The company accused the council of planting the slug and before the case went to court, all charges were dropped.

Ever since, the business has been fighting to clear its name and reputation, but has had to shed 41 jobs and has lost millions of dollars.

Victoria Police has confirmed it has received a letter of complaint from the owner of I Cook Foods, Ian Cook, about the police investigation into the closure of his business.

A Greater Dandenong Council spokesperson today said it remained "extremely confident" any investigation would clear it of any wrongdoing.

Initial police investigation found closure was unlawful
The letter of complaint was prompted by the leaking of Detective Sergeant Penry's briefing note.

Detective Sergeant Penry's initial investigation found the closure notices issued to the business were unlawful and led to the destruction of $700,000 worth of food.

The officer also alleges that laboratory results, that ultimately showed no evidence of listeria at I Cook Foods, were withheld until contracts held by the company became null and void.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A bit of the background on the involvement of the State Government.:
2019-08-01/i-cook-foods-claims-dandenong-council-inspector-planted-slug/11265380

In March, Victoria's chief health officer, Brett Sutton, told ABC Radio Melbourne he had "an obligation for the health and wellbeing of Victorians".

"The signals that were available to me about there being a death, a link to I Cook Foods and an enormous number of vulnerable individuals, I had to act in order to manage that risk," he said.

ilikeclouds

Rookie
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Listened to a podcast about it the other day (maybe yesterday). Absolutely disgusting what the government & council did if it turns out to be true!

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A bit of the background on the involvement of the State Government.:
2019-08-01/i-cook-foods-claims-dandenong-council-inspector-planted-slug/11265380

In March, Victoria's chief health officer, Brett Sutton, told ABC Radio Melbourne he had "an obligation for the health and wellbeing of Victorians".

"The signals that were available to me about there being a death, a link to I Cook Foods and an enormous number of vulnerable individuals, I had to act in order to manage that risk," he said.
Wonder if this is why Sutton's supposedly gone quiet lately?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This looks like costing the council and state government millions of millions, they will settle out of court but his is a disgrace how this as all played out

Can the potential of corrupt action be wiped out by any financial settlement?

What starts as slimy find at a Dandenong meals manufacturer turns into a tangled web of accusations, denials and food safety. Andrew speaks with Ian Cook, the man at the centre of the storm. Like the podcast? Get Andrew Rule features and more at heraldsun.com.au/andrewrule

Heard Andrew Rule on Melbourne radio (3AW) Friday & his most repeated word was 'allegedly', whilst mentioning a few names at Dandenong Council including photoshopped evidence. On the afternoon show with Ms Dunleavy for the technologically minded, perhaps someone can get the interview with Ruler.
Brett Sutton got a mention for his actions.

Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
Can the potential of corrupt action be wiped out by any financial settlement?

What starts as slimy find at a Dandenong meals manufacturer turns into a tangled web of accusations, denials and food safety. Andrew speaks with Ian Cook, the man at the centre of the storm. Like the podcast? Get Andrew Rule features and more at heraldsun.com.au/andrewrule

Heard Andrew Rule on Melbourne radio (3AW) Friday & his most repeated word was 'allegedly', whilst mentioning a few names at Dandenong Council including photoshopped evidence. On the afternoon show with Ms Dunleavy for the technologically minded, perhaps someone can get the interview with Ruler.
Brett Sutton got a mention for his actions.

IBAC would have to be involved already im tipping, the way Rule is talking its all done and dusted and they are paying out $$$$

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This amongst other things is why we need an Independant anti corruption body in this state.

IBAC.

'

the (Dandenong) council had reported the matter to IBAC, which referred it on to the Victorian Ombudsman for review.

"Following that review the Ombudsman has determined that no further investigation is warranted."

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

What are they covering up?

You realise that Dandenong Council had/has part ownership of its own catering business in direct competition with I Cook Foods to contract supply meals to hospitals / aged care etc???

"But documents reveal that council officers knew within days of the closure that levels of listeria found at the factory were within the range considered safe by the regulator.
Despite that, the factory was kept closed for a month. By the time it was allowed to reopen, I Cook Foods was already out of business — having lost all its clients, and leaving 41 staff jobless.
Some of those clients transferred their contracts to another catering company, Community Chef, which is partly owned by the City of Greater Dandenong.
Community Chef is a social enterprise owned by a group of Victorian councils. It has struggled to turn a profit, with the State Government providing $3.2 million in loans since 2011."

I think the term I'm looking for is "corrupt as *."

Source:

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IBAC.

'

the (Dandenong) council had reported the matter to IBAC, which referred it on to the Victorian Ombudsman for review.

"Following that review the Ombudsman has determined that no further investigation is warranted."
A few years ago I was assaulted by two PSOs. I raised a complaint to IBAC. They said they wouldn't do anything and referred it to the police to investigate (fox in charge of the hen house).

It seems IBAC is the most feckless department in the state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A few years ago I was assaulted by two PSOs. I raised a complaint to IBAC. They said they wouldn't do anything and referred it to the police to investigate (fox in charge of the hen house).

It seems IBAC is the most feckless department in the state.

IBAC look at corruption ? They dont do parking tickets either.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Justice, finally. With hopefully a successful appeal to follow.
Sutton & other public officials should be brought to account as this whole saga has been disgustingly corrupt. Senior police covered up.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sutton & other public officials should be brought to account as this whole saga has been disgustingly corrupt. Senior police covered up.
I'm afraid I am trouble understanding this. As far as I can see the premises had contaminated smallgoods which killed someone.

"McDonald said samples were later taken from I Cook’s premises and tested, detecting listeria in ham, silverside beef, egg and lettuce, and ham and cheese sandwiches. Listeria was also detected in sliced cucumber."

It seems to be a beat up about procedural fairness. Suttons actions seem justified unless I am reading it wrong. There does not seem to be any doubt that the source of the Listeria was from Cooks smallgoods because it was genetically matched.

'A Department of Health spokesperson said the decision to close I Cook was made for the protection of the community after listeria found in Painter’s blood was genomically linked to the facility.'

So this guys contaminated products have killed someone and yet he is somehow painted as a heroic small businessmen fighting for justice.

I'm afraid I am trouble understanding this. As far as I can see the premises had contaminated smallgoods which killed someone.

"McDonald said samples were later taken from I Cook’s premises and tested, detecting listeria in ham, silverside beef, egg and lettuce, and ham and cheese sandwiches. Listeria was also detected in sliced cucumber."

It seems to be a beat up about procedural fairness. Suttons actions seem justified unless I am reading it wrong. There does not seem to be any doubt that the source of the Listeria was from Cooks smallgoods because it was genetically matched.

'A Department of Health spokesperson said the decision to close I Cook was made for the protection of the community after listeria found in Painter’s blood was genomically linked to the facility.'

So this guys contaminated products have killed someone and yet he is somehow painted as a heroic small businessmen fighting for justice.
No it was a set up & subsequent cover-up by a corrupt officials.

Have a listen to this podcast.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No it was a set up & subsequent cover-up by a corrupt officials.

Have a listen to this podcast.

Interesting, a lot of disturbing claims but no actual evidence of them. I have always been a little sceptical of the planted slug as I don't really see it would be worth a health inspector taking such a risk. It also gave the story its strong conspiratorial element and a great media handle - 'Slug Gate'. He has woven other conspiratorial elements, competing food company, the council, health inspectors, the state government etc. Accept the planted slug and the rest of the story follows. It also came to prominence at the time Covid struck and fitted nicely the narratives of government overreach/Dictator Dan that became commonplace.

It's more likely an overzealous health department that's been spooked by a Listeria death rather than a wide ranging conspiracy. In court and under oath people have said Listeria was detected in six of seven food samples taken from the premises on February 18, later this was genotypically matched the listeria the victim had. Hard to ignore that sort of evidence. Listeria is not just a bit of gastro, it has a 20-30% death rate in folks prone to it, such as neonates, the immunocompromised and the elderly. Prompt action is required so I can understand the authorities being heavy handed.

I think if I were the person in authority and was presented with that information I would have closed the kitchen, too.

From our limited view much is unclear and we are obviously not conversant with all the data. One thing that stood out was why the supply chain was not investigated further.

I also note he appears he recently reached some agreement with Dandenong council, the details of which are not available, I think it was done before the recent court case. Finally, if the courts thought his allegation were substantially true, would he have not received some significant compensation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back