News Pres standing down end 2021

[TD valign="top"]

Alternate text

Dear BG,

I am writing to inform you that after 12 years on the Board of the Carlton Football Club and eight of those years as President, my tenure will conclude at the end of 2021.

For some time, with the guidance of the Independent Nominations Committee, the Board has been in the process of succession planning. It is with great pleasure that I can now announce that the Board has unanimously elected Luke Sayers as President-Elect, which was determined at a Board meeting on Monday night.

Luke Sayers is a well-regarded business leader and has been a Director of the Club since 2012. He is the Executive Chairman of Sayers, a Melbourne-based investment and advisory company, and prior to that the CEO of PricewaterhouseCoopers for eight years. In 2019, Sayers was made a Member of the Order of Australia for his significant service to business, to people with a disability, and to the community.

My priority now remains to ensure a smooth transition during this period.

As such, there is important work to be done before my tenure concludes. This includes three critical tasks:

The first is to work closely with Luke to ensure a smooth transition and to ensure that the Board is equipped with the necessary skill sets to manage the Club moving forward.

The second is to complete the reform of the Club Constitution as promised at the last AGM. This reform will see governance improvements, proper acknowledgment of athletes of all genders and recognition of our Indigenous history. Importantly, we will address membership anomalies that currently preclude some important membership categories from being recognised as voting members of the Club.

The third is to complete the Masterplan for Ikon Park, which I look forward to sharing with members more information in the coming weeks.

In addition to these tasks, I will continue to ensure our coaches and our entire Football Department have all the support needed to improve our on-field performance.

While there will be a time to reflect on the years I have had the honour and privilege of serving as President of this great club, I would like to thank you for entrusting me in this role over the last eight years. It is a responsibility I have never taken for granted and I thank you for your support.

For now, I look forward to working with Luke and the Board to continue the work at hand.

As always, thank you for your ongoing support of the Club.
Alternate text
Mark LoGiudice
President
Member ID: 1201017[/TD]

Done a great job, if there is only one kpi for directors it’s that you leave the place better than what you found it and on that there is absolutely no doubt that’s happened.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree. Will always have my respect for starting the rebuild.

I was super skeptical of M Log's credentials when he took over, but I think he has done a great job.

The club has had a spectacular financial and membership improvement in recent years, embraced AFLW, and seemingly has become a lot more professional (still some room for improvement). While the team hasn't improved as much as we'd hoped, he was brave enough to oversee SOS's aggressive list rebuild - something Carlton had been too chicken to do in the preceding 15 years.

Sayers is a highly-qualified candidate. And I think he has the skills, experience and connections to take this club to the next level.

Fingers crossed we go from strength-to-strength off-field and from weakness to strength on-field under his stewardship.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Last edited:

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I think the big man has done a great job and is also stepping down at the right time.

He's sorted the business side of the club a treat, but I'm not sure he's the president to get the on field right. He's timed it perfectly, sorted the off field, cleared the debt and is self aware enough to know that's his time to move on.

A bold move, it's only increased my respect for him.

Cheers MLG
5 (1).gif

Last edited:
I was super skeptical of M Log's credentials when he took over, but I think he has done a great job.

The club has had a spectacular financial and membership improvement in recent years, embraced AFLW, and seemingly has become a lot more professional (still some room for improvement). While the team hasn't improved as much as we'd hoped, he was brave enough to oversee SOS's aggressive list rebuild - something Carlton had been too chicken to do in the preceding 15 years.

Sayers is a highly-qualified candidate. And I think he has the skills, experience and connections to take this club to the next level.

Fingers crossed we go from strength-to-strength off-field and from weakness to strength on-field under his stewardship.

The king is deal. Long live the king.

Agreed, Mlo oversaw a lot of modernising of the club.. The most obvious things are the improvements to memberships (both services and numbers), AFLW, and securing millions and millions of dollars in infrastructure funding.

These things will hold us in good stead for years to come.

I know it hasn't translated to on field success but that will come. And it's not too late to turn the year around.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Hopefully he completes this year and the club is in better position off and on field at the end of this season.
The last year and a half has had me question our admin in a lot of things.
If confidence restored at end of season will continue to be a member.
But if things continue to make me question our admin more than I already do, I will not be a member next season which never even contemplated since I been going since the early 80's. We are the cross roads as a club. My trust is in this guy to get things on track in next 7 months.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Was excited for a moment only to realise it is just a shuffling of the deck chairs.
Easy to sit at a keyboard and take shots.

Please explain to us why you were excited to see MLG go when most consider that he has done an excellent job.

Please explain why you consider that Luke Sayers who has an excellent reputation in the business world and us a passionate carlton man is a "deckchair"?

So the club's constitution only allows the President to serve for 8 years ?

Why isnt the new President voted in rather than just appointed by the outgoing ?

Voted by the board, unanimously

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Hopefully he completes this year and the club is in better position off and on field at the end of this season.
The last year and a half has had me question our admin in a lot of things.
If confidence restored at end of season will continue to be a member.
But if things continue to make me question our admin more than I already do, I will not be a member next season which never even contemplated since I been going since the early 80's. We are the cross roads as a club. My trust is in this guy to get things on track in next 7 months.
Would you like to give some examples?

Back