It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Why is Stephens not getting a game at the moment? Sydney aren’t exactly shy when it comes to playing the kids.

I was a big fan of his in his draft year but his inside game, or lack of, did come with some bust potential.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why is Stephens not getting a game at the moment? Sydney aren’t exactly shy when it comes to playing the kids.

I was a big fan of his in his draft year but his inside game, or lack of, did come with some bust potential.
Not sure M8 Gould still yet to play aswell and was a man child🤷

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He was an absolute clearance beast at under 18’s, wasn’t played inside at sanfl level for obvious reasons.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
He was an absolute clearance beast at under 18’s, wasn’t played inside at sanfl level for obvious reasons.
As you’d expect from a top 5 pick midfielder but his contested work was always going to be the area of improvement once he got to an AFL club. It’s not really a knock on the kid as he has some real weapons on the outside and I would have loved him at Port. I’m just curious why a top pick who played a full year of SANFL seniors 2 years ago is struggling to get a game at a rebuilding club (albeit a fast and successful looking rebuild).

I might need to tune into a bit of a reserves game next time they are broadcast.

I'd be very happy with Ladhams for Stephens if we could swing that, even if we had to throw in a little change. Last year was probably the time to do it though, Hickey has been really good for the Swans and they won't be as desperate for a ruck now as they were last year.

Stephens has been playing inside for the reserves and getting big numbers so its not a lack of inside quality thats kept him out. Has a slowish start to pre season, then the swans were in great form. Sometimes takes a while to get back in.

Gould is a struggler who will be lucky to stay on the list next year

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd be very happy with Ladhams for Stephens if we could swing that, even if we had to throw in a little change. Last year was probably the time to do it though, Hickey has been really good for the Swans and they won't be as desperate for a ruck now as they were last year.
Is Hickey in their next premiership team though? He's 30 now. If I was the swans I would still be looking at getting a ruck who's prime will coincide with their premiership window (I. E.two years time or so).

I also think the situation with Stephens is a bit different now. Not getting a game and out of contract. Perhaps an unhappy camper.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Merrett wants to be here. Need to work out how we facilitate it. Who is expendable that the Bombres would want. Although with a username like JakeNeadefan doesn't fill one with confidence as to their football acumen, somebody like Ladhams may have to be part of any deal. What else have we got to give up? Bonner? Farrell? Leinert? Drew? None of these blokes are worth that much. We will have fu** all draft capital. Maybe Ladhams is the cornerstone to a deal?
mmmmmm

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom Petroro and the team at TLA would be chartered in making sure Essendon will not match prior to us going public at the moment. I’m pretty sure that will be the line - we will give Zach what he wants on the proviso we don’t give up anything else. There are too many moving parts to entertain us expending draft capital, best 30 players, or our own who are looking for trades out for opportunity. We won’t let this scenario derail all the others.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Swans were big on Hayes last year

i want to get Stephens to the club, but I would have Hayes as near untouchable. He’s coming on way to well and I really rate tap rucks who can dominate. I don’t think there’s many actually good at ruck craft rucks out there currently and especially few to none under 24. He could become a real point of difference in our side In a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have shown time and time again that we are more than comfortable with playing 1 ruck. With the composition of our forward line (Dixon, Marshall, Georgie) a second ruck is actually quite difficult to fit in. We have pinch hitting options in Dixon, Marshall and Allir.

Hayes has to play soon. We can't stifle his development any longer.

So this kind of leaves Ladhams on the outer unless there are a lot of injuries to KPP/Rucks.

I was very much in favour of Ladhams, thought he could be anything, and maybe he still can be, but I also think he's a bit of dickhead.

IF we need currency to get a player such as Merrett, he might be pawn that is needed to facilitate it and I'd be comfortable with that.

I would suggest getting comfortable with the idea, my dudes

I’m super comfortable in trading Ladhams and I‘m someone who thinks he has potential to be a great player. My hunch is it will be at another club.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Yeah I didn't want to trade him at the end of last season - was keen to see what kind of step he'd take this year. It may now be time to trade him and get some value. For a team with no decent ruck, he could be an incredible player. Last year when Lycett went down he was getting 20+ touches at times as effectively another midfielder who could ruck a bit.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Very good player, but I just don't think he's worth effectively 2 first rounders to our list, which is what they'll want. I figure we'll do it as a FA or not at all, and the worse Essendon do this season the more likely it is we get it done, given his FA value will increase.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ladhams was a port boy growing up, doubt he would agree to be traded to bombers. He’ll probably back himself to get into the best 22 again. Lycett is ageing as well

Romanticized bullshit. If he's told he's third in line and will probably be languishing in the 2s most of the time, he'll leave for opportunity and money.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Very good player, but I just don't think he's worth effectively 2 first rounders to our list, which is what they'll want. I figure we'll do it as a FA or not at all, and the worse Essendon do this season the more likely it is we get it done, given his FA value will increase.

Pick 18 is a first rounder and 24 year Goal kicking 202cm Ruckman/Forward with good skills is effectively worth a late first rounder.

Essendon will match any offer we give him, he's their best player and they have a fair bit in their salary cap from all reports. They will try and force a trade.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Pick 18 is a first rounder and 24 year Goal kicking 202cm Ruckman/Forward with good skills is effectively worth a late first rounder.

Essendon will match any offer we give him, he's their best player and they have a fair bit in their salary cap from all reports. They will try and force a trade.
Yeah, I know 18 plus Ladhams is effectively 2 first rounders. They may match, if they do I don't think we should do the deal.

I dont watch them really, but is he the best they have? Who was the dude who won the anzac medal with like 40 touches? He seemed pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back