Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wouldn't have thought franchise movies being trash and boring is an out-there take.

Popular, sure but I don't think it's that uncommon to find people with no interest whatsoever in those movies in more serious movie going crowds.
Trash fine. I’ve never said otherwise.

Boring... then why do masses of people go to see them? If they aren’t entertaining and they aren’t “good” then what is the appeal of them.

I think “boring” is an out there take, entertainment is all they have going for them.

“Serious” movie going crowd sounds wildly pretentious.

Boring... then why do masses of people go to see them? If they aren’t entertaining and they aren’t “good” then what is the appeal of them.

I think “boring” is an out there take, entertainment is all they have going for them.

I have no idea what the appeal is, they are boring to me. An ability to sit mindlessly for 2 hours? A pressure to fit in to current pop-culture (don't want to miss out on water cooler chat)? Enjoy CGI explosions? The never ending Easter eggs? Obviously there's something entertaining about them to lots of people. However, that does not exclude people thinking they are boring? I mean, movies are subjective, to think that people having a different opinion to the masses is "out-there" is way more of an out-there take to me.

I have no idea what the appeal is, they are boring to me. An ability to sit mindlessly for 2 hours? A pressure to fit in to current pop-culture (don't want to miss out on water cooler chat)? Enjoy CGI explosions? The never ending Easter eggs? Obviously there's something entertaining about them to lots of people. However, that does not exclude people thinking they are boring? I mean, movies are subjective, to think that people having a different opinion to the masses is "out-there" is way more of an out-there take to me.
Yeh, I’m not saying you’re not entitled to that opinion and you have acknowledged that it does appeal to the masses.

That’s literally my only point.

I’ve used this example before but I hate shutter island, telegraphed, cliche and bad, I also can openly acknowledge that I am in the minority, it won awards, made a tonne of money and was pretty well lauded by both the masses and critiques. I am absolutely in the minority.

That doesn’t mean I’m not entitled to my opinion but it does mean my opinion is not a popular one.

I’d suggest franchises that have made billions or tens of billions of dollars being “boring” sits firmly in the same place, not a wrong opinion, but also an unpopular one.

Yeh, I’m not saying you’re not entitled to that opinion and you have acknowledged that it does appeal to the masses.

I’ve used this example before but I hate shutter island, telegraphed, cliche and bad, I also can openly acknowledge that I am in the minority, it won awards, made a tonne of money and was pretty well lauded by both the masses and critiques. I am absolutely in the minority.

That doesn’t mean I’m not entitled to my opinion but it does mean my opinion is not a popular one.

I’d suggest franchises that have made billions or tens of billions of dollars being “boring” sits firmly in the same place, not a wrong opinion, but also an unpopular one.
Sure, but labelling something "out-there" has crackpot vibes. Thinking the Earth is flat is out there. Thinking Marvel (etc) movies are boring is fairly run of the mill, even if it's unpopular (which I think if you polled all regular movie goers wouldn't actually be that unpopular).

Superhero movies have that nostalgia factor. That's what keeps us in, and what seperates them from something like F&F. Yes, Big CGI fights, do we actually think the main characters will die? are the stakes actually real? etc. That suspension of disbelief.

But they have gone to an effort of re creating backstories for the characters we grew up on as children and hold fond memories of. We either get transported back to that feeling we had with kids, or we get to re-live it with our kids and bond over that. Are they cinematic masterpieces??? Not really. Are they fleshed out characters and stories that are told well? Absolutely. That's what makes them so profitable, and why they aren't "Boring" to me.

Fast and Furious holds none of that for me. Just muscled up meatheads who are supposed to be your Average Joe getting in more convoluted stories where the stakes don't really seem real at all.

Some people like pineapple on a pizza. Some people listen to Justin Bieber. Some people think Tarantino is a overrated Neither are wrong (except for pineapple on a pizza ;) ), taste is subjective.

I love my independent cinema but I also love a good straightforward superhero film. Not sure why there’s such a big fuss over the superhero films. I can see them being boring to some but majority of the time they are fairly fun especially if you go in with an open mind. I didn’t expect much from the new Mortal Kombat but I thought it was incredibly fun too. Lots of flaws of course but it was entertaining.

As opposed to labeling those who enjoy them the way that you have...

It’s pretty elitist to suggest people who enjoy them are not “serious” movie people or are children who enjoy shiny things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Boring" is subjective amd personal. Additionally it doesn't always correlate with a film being good or bad (I reckon it commonly does, though). I can't hack a superhero movie or a revhead movie either, because - for me - they are boring. It's as if I can feel a product being sold, rather than a story being told. But I can imagine they're a blast for many people. (I did like "Kickass" though, however it's kind of treating superhero movies like a joke, anyway)

I recently finished Cosy Cool (late 70s aussie) which is an uber-amateur labour-of-love biker adventure from the lead actor/director. It's a shocker, but had some amusing moments. They spliced in some footage from a) a car show at a shopping centre and b) a drag strip event where my eyes glazed over. But if I was a petrolhead I probably would have needed the curtains drawn and a bottle of premium axle grease.

Cosy Cool apparently got into trouble because it occurred a few short years prior to the Milperra Massacre - and it featured members of the Commanchero Motorcycle Club acting out a scene where they were about to a do number on some other characters. There was some blame thrown around in similar terms to heavy metal music and satanic texting. Seems a stretch and the director went to great pains to argue that it's just a sad coincidence (however later re-releases played on the event to sell copies).

There was some hilarious budget-free production and outstandingly silly dialogue (and delivery). But a bloke wanted to make a movie, and thus he did. Getting a film off the ground from nowhere is no mean feat. It reminded me of the Savage Sinema guys (especially for "Marauders"). These simply aren't good movies, but you just wanna give the moviemakers a massive hug for the obvious love and devotion they had for getting head-down arse-up and following their dreams to make a film.

I don't know if I can recommend Cosy Cool - you'd need some high tolerance for handling a crappy movie, but I will suggest the open-minded and exploratory-minded might find that it's endearing.

Here's a snippet I pulled from it to prove to recommender Aristotle Pickett that I'd watched it. The dialogue audio cracks me up!:

Watched 'First Man' last night, the 2018 Moon landing movie from Neil Armstrong's perspective.
It was in the news at the time because right wing nuts like Marco Rubio were outraged they didn't show the American flag being planted.
A good movie although for mine there is too much focus on Armstong's personal life.
Also you know what's going to happen so there is a lack of suspense at times.
3.5 out of 5 stars.

I love my independent cinema but I also love a good straightforward superhero film. Not sure why there’s such a big fuss over the superhero films. I can see them being boring to some but majority of the time they are fairly fun especially if you go in with an open mind. I didn’t expect much from the new Mortal Kombat but I thought it was incredibly fun too. Lots of flaws of course but it was entertaining.
I think the big fuss to me anyway, is how many there are already and how many more there is to come, it’s pretty much watching the same movie just with different superpowers and costumes, that’s why it’s boring to me and it feels like it’s lazy by filmmakers, problem is it’s guaranteed to make money, so they will not stop churning them out.

I think the big fuss to me anyway, is how many there are already and how many more there is to come, it’s pretty much watching the same movie just with different superpowers and costumes, that’s why it’s boring to me and it feels like it’s lazy by filmmakers, problem is it’s guaranteed to make money, so they will not stop churning them out.
I get that. Almost all films follow a template - it’s very rare one bucks the trend. I’d recommend looking up the Seven Basic Plots which applies to stories all over.

The thing I enjoy about the Marvel series is the interconnectedness. It’s basically one big Tv series. I mean superhero films would be pointless if Captain America died in the first film....why would anyone continue watching? But the universe has allowed for these moments still, it just may be four or five films in.

So the last of the MCU currently, Endgame, made $3 billion and has 8.4 on IMDb.

By almost any measurable metric it is one of the most universally popular films ever made.

That doesn’t make it citizen Kane but I’d suggest if you don’t like it you are absolutely in the minority and if it was “boring” surely it wouldn’t have made that much money or have that sort of rating.

You've never met anyone that finds footy boring? Or sport in general? Boring is an opinion. I find marvel movies boring for the most part. Lots of action but boring. Masses of people doesn't turn an opinion into a fact.

I can't wait to see mortal kombat Friday so this is definitely not the opinion of a pretentious movie goer :)

You've never met anyone that finds footy boring? Or sport in general? Boring is an opinion. I find marvel movies boring for the most part. Lots of action but boring. Masses of people doesn't turn an opinion into a fact.

I can't wait to see mortal kombat Friday so this is definitely not the opinion of a pretentious movie goer :)
Of course I have.

We’re discussing movie goers, which limits the group, and then specifically.

People who find sport in general boring are going to find football boring.

Given the money and rating the vast majority of the marvel and fast movies have I’d suggest it’s absolutely a minority opinion that they are boring.

Anyway this is wildly off track foe the thread, we can likely all agree to disagree.

Also seeing MK tonight!

I get that. Almost all films follow a template - it’s very rare one bucks the trend. I’d recommend looking up the Seven Basic Plots which applies to stories all over.

The thing I enjoy about the Marvel series is the interconnectedness. It’s basically one big Tv series. I mean superhero films would be pointless if Captain America died in the first film....why would anyone continue watching? But the universe has allowed for these moments still, it just may be four or five films in.
I’m aware that the majority if not all movies follow a fairly specific roadmap/formula to get from a-z the problem is with these movies, is that there are just so many, so they feel extremely similar, the market is absolutely saturated with them.

So the last of the MCU currently, Endgame, made $3 billion and has 8.4 on IMDb.

By almost any measurable metric it is one of the most universally popular films ever made.

That doesn’t make it citizen Kane but I’d suggest if you don’t like it you are absolutely in the minority and if it was “boring” surely it wouldn’t have made that much money or have that sort of rating.
I mean… yes, sort of, but a lot of the reasons it is popular have very little to do with the actual quality of the film itself

With a huge and complex franchise like that, people are emotionally invested in the characters and the sunk costs of following their journey over many years and many films

In a lot of ways fan enjoyment of a particular film has more to do with familiarity, fan service and resolution of long standing character arcs than anything intrinsically good about the specific piece they are watching

By most metrics the Avengers film are pretty awful storytelling - too many characters, extraneous plot lines that manage to be both confusing and unimaginative, boring cinematography and sound design

By and large people don’t like them because they’re particularly good films, they like them because they’re safe and inoffensive and provide emotional payoff on characters they come into the film preinvested in

Last edited:
I mean… yes, sort of, but a lot of the reasons it is popular have very little to do with the actual quality of the film

With a huge and complex franchise like that, people are emotionally invested in the characters and the sunk costs of following their journey over many years and many films

In a lot of ways fan enjoyment of a particular film has more to do with familiarity, fan service and resolution of a long standing character arcs than anything intrinsically good about the specific piece they are watching

By most metrics the Avengers film are pretty awful storytelling - too many characters, extraneous plot lines that manage to be both confusing and unimaginative, boring cinematography and sound design

People don’t like them because they’re good films, they like them because they provide emotional payoff on characters they come into the film preinvested in
So then 3 billion dollars worth of people were in some way invested in 20 films worth of stories to go to the 21st.

I actually think your point reinforces mine more than argues against it.

I don’t really agree with a lot of your technical complaints but they are absolutely fair and as per my original post on this those critiques are one of many that I would personally say sure, I may not agree but fair game.

And again, I’m not noting the quality of the films, I never have, I’m noting the entertainment and appeal of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back