Let's talk Ports! Part 3

PortWTF

All Australian
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow Port got 4 whole minutes spent on them 6 rounds into the season that's awesome!
Now that's out of the way, lets all talk about Collingwood and Carlton, and then talk about what others talked about Collingwood and Carlton, and then replay a replay of an interview with Buckley, and talk about how someone has interpreted that interview, and talk about the new president of Collingwood. And lets keep talking about them until they win a game.

The graphic below is from On the Couch video.

Is this Monty's doing, or is it a little more subtle than just running out of the backlines and scoring goals??

I reckon we are still a front half team. We still bomb the ball a bit too often aimlessly, inside our 50m arc.

But given the forward half is basically a line thru the centre circle, and one step over that line, how many of our scores start from marginally behind or in front of that line, and we got backwards behind that line, either by hand or a chip kick or two or three, and we go wide and to the other side of the ground, keeping possession until space opens up in our forward half, sometimes going straight away, other times holding onto the ball for a few possessions like we did against the Saints???

Here are the stats from Champion Data tables on what percentage of time the ball has spent in the oppo's half.

1. NM - 50%
2. Ess - 41%
3. WCE - 56%
4. Rich - 45%
5. Carl - 56%
6. StK - 59%

1619598082199.png

Riewoldt - with a big smile on his face - "Port Adelaide are box office! You summed it up Gerard, everything about it from the start of the game, and the enthusiasm......"

I hope the club slices that bit of video up and gives it to our corporates.

Just saw an add that says Dennis Cometti will also be on The Front Bar tomorrow night. Good he can wax lyrically about the best jumper in Australian Football.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Riewoldt - with a big smile on his face - "Port Adelaide are box office! You summed it up Gerard, everything about it from the start of the game, and the enthusiasm......"

I hope the club slices that bit of video up and gives it to our corporates.
Great idea. He’s the guy with the most credibility analysing the current game IMO.

The graphic below is from On the Couch video.

Is this Monty's doing, or is it a little more subtle than just running out of the backlines and scoring goals??

I reckon we are still a front half team. We still bomb the ball a bit too often aimlessly, inside our 50m arc.

But given the forward half is basically a line thru the centre circle, and one step over that line, how many of our scores start from marginally behind or in front of that line, and we got backwards behind that line, either by hand or a chip kick or two or three, and we go wide and to the other side of the ground, keeping possession until space opens up in our forward half, sometimes going straight away, other times holding onto the ball for a few possessions like we did against the Saints???

Here are the stats from Champion Data tables on what percentage of time the ball has spent in the oppo's half.

1. NM - 50%
2. Ess - 41%
3. WCE - 56%
4. Rich - 45%
5. Carl - 56%
6. StK - 59%

View attachment 1113638

I think we are sitting back a bit more, especially as teams as zoning to try and slow us down. It just didn’t work against West Coast when we did it

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I think we are sitting back a bit more, especially as teams are zoning to try and slow us down. It just didn’t work against West Coast when we did it
They were all over us at the beginning. When we righted the ship, it was already too late.

Still, we went off again. Then, they ran us over for good.

It was practically the opposite of the 2019 Easter game over there. They couldn’t do no wrong.

I sincerely can’t judge whether it was a tactical issue. There was certainly something of that, but it wasn’t just that. It could simply have been “one of those days.” You write it off and move on.

I think we are sitting back a bit more, especially as teams as zoning to try and slow us down. It just didn’t work against West Coast when we did it

Using Dixon and Todd a bit further up the ground, to find out how three sometimes four talls can all work together seems like a sort of deliberate gamble that is paying off.

Finally, we have both stay-at-home and up the ground marking power at the same time. It fits with the need to sit back just a little bit more with the new rules - a wider mix of tall and small targets when transitioning out of our D50. Did I mention Amon, Burton, Houston, hell even Wines now all hitting targets? ;)

Perfect storm of list maturity, individual capability and rule change. And just maybe a little bit of coaching courage too.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Vagabond0

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PORT ADELAIDE FROM 2018

IN
: Ryan Burton, Sam Mayes, Pick 5 (Conor Rozee), Pick 12 (Zak Butters), Pick 18 (Xavier Duursma), Charlie Dixon, Orazio Fantasia, Aliir Aliir, Steven Motlop, Tom Rockliff, Scott Lycett

OUT: Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard, Pick 23, Pick 30, Pick 48, Pick 49, Pick 10, Pick 29, Future second-round pick

Rather than Dixon, should have included Georgiades with Doogs and Ryder added to the outs.

No mention of Jack t!ts and swimming in as part of the 2018 trade period either
PORT ADELAIDE FROM 2018

IN
: Ryan Burton, Sam Mayes, Pick 5 (Conor Rozee), Pick 12 (Zak Butters), Pick 18 (Xavier Duursma), Charlie Dixon, Orazio Fantasia, Aliir Aliir, Steven Motlop, Tom Rockliff, Scott Lycett

OUT: Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard, Pick 23, Pick 30, Pick 48, Pick 49, Pick 10, Pick 29, Future second-round pick

Instead of Dixon think they meant to include Georgiades with Doogs and Ryder included in the outs.

Also how quick they forget Jack Watts who was also part of the 2018 😉

If they went back to 2017, Marshall and Pep in the draft and Mckenzie free worthy mentions

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
hell even Wines now all hitting targets?
Somebody put up a link to a Bass interview a few weeks back where he addressed this. He spoke of clearing out the Fwd50, getting KPF's to spread and improving

delivery into it. Made mention that we are working with players who aren't the greatest kicks (Boak SPP and Wal?) lowering their eyes and executing simple short kicks

for greater effect AND reducing momentum killing clangers.

Back