List Mgmt. Rebuild or refresh?

Rebuild or refresh?

• Rebuild

Votes: 71 35.1%
  • Refresh

Votes: 131 64.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cal Twomey stated that after watching a u19 nab game this weekend that the quality is off the charts,in just the game he was watching he could see conservatively 15 players drafted,he said draft would be insane deep,all goes well for tigers having 2 clubs worth of 1,2,3 .
With a hand like this we'd be silly not to hit the Draft, it'll fast track our next wave &keep us contending for longer. The opposite way the Dawks have gone about it. It also frees up cap space in the instance we get a retirement or 2 & fringe players again looking for game time elsewhere.

Will be a rebuild when we do drop away. Unfortunately you can’t just replace quality in the midfield all of a sudden. Need the odd low pick. Will feel so weird when it does finally happen.
Agreed.
There's a reason players like Cotchin & Dusty go top 3 in the draft.
We are all hopeful that Graham, Ross, RCD & Dow will step up. But if you watch recent top picks like Rowell & Walsh, there is a fair gap between them and our potential future midfielders.

Cal Twomey stated that after watching a u19 nab game this weekend that the quality is off the charts,in just the game he was watching he could see conservatively 15 players drafted,he said draft would be insane deep,all goes well for tigers having 2 clubs worth of 1,2,3 .

You'd have to think that's one of the reasons we traded our first out of last year's draft and into this one because this years is so strong. Now if say a key position Ben King became available that would be a different matter, but I would be very upset if we traded out of this years picks to pick up a dime a dozen midfielder. Hold our nerve, recruit with skill and a bit of luck and for example we might have two or three Tom Greens instead of just one.

And how many times has history shown us that if you have a mass of quality picks in a single draft and you nail it, that group of young players coming through together can be the catalyst for serious ongoing success. And frankly if we are going to lose any players looking for a big payday with the draft hand we already have this might be the best year to do it. With so many of our elite player coming towards the end you'd be crazy not to go for a generational transformation and embrace this years draft.

Agreed.
There's a reason players like Cotchin & Dusty go top 3 in the draft.
We are all hopeful that Graham, Ross, RCD & Dow will step up. But if you watch recent top picks like Rowell & Walsh, there is a fair gap between them and our potential future midfielders.
Yeah genuine A graders slot straight into the firsts. I remember both Cotchin and Dusty went straight into the firsts and didnt look out of place playing AFL footy. Its been a while since we've had a draft pick low enough to get a player like that. I think Dusty was the last one.

Yeah genuine A graders slot straight into the firsts. I remember both Cotchin and Dusty went straight into the firsts and didnt look out of place playing AFL footy. Its been a while since we've had a draft pick low enough to get a player like that. I think Dusty was the last one.
For every Cotchin & Dusty you also have a basket full of Brodie , Dow , LDU , Rayner etc
Recruiting is 1 area that is the most important along with development

With a hand like this we'd be silly not to hit the Draft, it'll fast track our next wave &keep us contending for longer. The opposite way the Dawks have gone about it. It also frees up cap space in the instance we get a retirement or 2 & fringe players again looking for game time elsewhere.

It might be a long time before the tigers have players the class of dusty vlastuin lunch again.

Strange things have happened than trading the picks for a big name player to give one last push Geelong style

I raised the issue of a refresh with the boys on the Tigercast after the Swans gave us a touch up in round 3 and it wasn't well received given it was only round 3, however I think 3 weeks down the track where our sole win was against a woefully out of form Saints outfit, I'm starting to like the idea of a bit of a refresh for the 2021 season where we can take advantage of our current haul of picks (12 15 24 31 45 & 49) and could easily create the necessary space to take those picks and bring in some fresher talent through delisting, trading and/or free agency.

I'm not saying that our era is finished, more that we can extend it to run a little longer if we make some aggressive list management calls now and take advantage of the enviable position we find ourselves in with regards the draft picks we've got.

I raised the issue of a refresh with the boys on the Tigercast after the Swans gave us a touch up in round 3 and it wasn't well received given it was only round 3, however I think 3 weeks down the track where our sole win was against a woefully out of form Saints outfit, I'm starting to like the idea of a bit of a refresh for the 2021 season where we can take advantage of our current haul of picks (12 15 24 31 45 & 49) and could easily create the necessary space to take those picks and bring in some fresher talent through delisting, trading and/or free agency.

I'm not saying that our era is finished, more that we can extend it to run a little longer if we make some aggressive list management calls now and take advantage of the enviable position we find ourselves in with regards the draft picks we've got.
We are going for a 3peat and they’ll be doing everything to achieve it

We are going for a 3peat and they’ll be doing everything to achieve it
First and foremost the 3 peat remains the number 1 aim, however I'd like to think the club would also have an eye to the future and rather than chasing established types we target the draft to bring in a group of kids to replace some of the players who have been here for a while but haven't really come on as expected.

Vlas was the last one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger71 mentioned on last weeks show we'll be hitting the Draft (stoked about this) & possibly trading out players that want to leave for game time etc. It's the perfect time to do it as draft hands like ours don't come along too often. The Aints 2nd rounder is looking more like a rolled gold gift by the week.

Looking back our 2020 1st round pick eventually become pick #26 which st kilda used to select Matthew McLeod-Allison 192cm foward

We in turn received their pick #17 which ended up becoming #20 which we traded to cats for their 2021 1st rounder which at worst will be 19/20

St Kilda refused to trade their 2021 1st rounder (pick 20) straight for Higgins in a weak draft but ended up trading their 2021 2nd rounder which looks like becoming pick 21-25 in a much much stronger draft that is full of talent from 2020 & 2021

2021 pick #25 > 2020 pick #20

Go to the draft. Last few years has shown that first year players can come in and have a massive impact straight away.

Well when we play a few youngsters gives us a chance to have a look at them. Better idea of where we are at over the journey.

Some have been on the list for a while and maybe we need to open up a few positions and opportunities to others through the draft going forward to revitalise the list and reinvigorate our opportunities going forward so the likes of Balta and Bolton know their is plenty happening at Tigerland going forward and not just in the next few years which makes others want to come to the club to as others retire eventually

Draft while the older guys like Cotch and Bachar are sliding out the door. Trade guys that want a bit more game time and $, for pick upgrades, or future picks. Keep building and hopefully our drop off will be short and we'll come back hard once our older guys go.

If multiple teams go past our best 22 in this years finals the club will have some interesting choices to make. One option I would love the club to consider is along these lines:

Keep the best leaders, and a good group of mature players. But see if there are 1-2 players with currency who can be traded out. Vlastuin to Cats given he already has a residence down there might be one, as unthinkable as it is. 2022 first rounder for him has to be a possibility. No fire sales, no players forced out against their will, just if you can find a situation like this where both the club and player are happy with it, then do it. Who knows, someone like Prestia may be happy to play out his remaining years at a contending club, again, you might get upgraded to a late first round pick for someone like Prestia, especially if we pay some salary.

How I see this type of strategy playing out:

1. We can maximise the leadership skills of guys like Cotchin, Riewoldt, Astbury, Grimes, Houli etc and allow them to play out their careers with complete dignity. The new draftees should benefit from playing their early careers with those guys who know what it takes to be successful.

2. You plummet down the ladder by fielding a team of mainly ageing stars and good draft picks - potential stars of the future, though not necessarily bottoming right out. This should bring in some very valuable high end draft picks over the course of 3 seasons or so. It should also allow us to get into a better salary cap position to set up for our next tilt at success.

3. Use the inevitable top 10 picks to draft at least one high end key back, key forward and at least 2 high end inside mids and perhaps a really good winger. These players hopefully join the likes of Graham, Balta, Bolton, Short, Baker, and the best of our current youngsters to form the basis of our next premiership team. Where we miss at the draft for whatever reason, then and only then you get the shopping trolley out and look at expensive trades or free agents.

We have a fantastic draft hand this year to kickstart this process. All we need to do now is not make the schoolboy error of winning the flag agin. 😂😂

If multiple teams go past our best 22 in this years finals the club will have some interesting choices to make. One option I would love the club to consider is along these lines:

Keep the best leaders, and a good group of mature players. But see if there are 1-2 players with currency who can be traded out. Vlastuin to Cats given he already has a residence down there might be one, as unthinkable as it is. 2022 first rounder for him has to be a possibility. No fire sales, no players forced out against their will, just if you can find a situation like this where both the club and player are happy with it, then do it. Who knows, someone like Prestia may be happy to play out his remaining years at a contending club, again, you might get upgraded to a late first round pick for someone like Prestia, especially if we pay some salary.

How I see this type of strategy playing out:

1. We can maximise the leadership skills of guys like Cotchin, Riewoldt, Astbury, Grimes, Houli etc and allow them to play out their careers with complete dignity. The new draftees should benefit from playing their early careers with those guys who know what it takes to be successful.

2. You plummet down the ladder by fielding a team of mainly ageing stars and good draft picks - potential stars of the future, though not necessarily bottoming right out. This should bring in some very valuable high end draft picks over the course of 3 seasons or so. It should also allow us to get into a better salary cap position to set up for our next tilt at success.

3. Use the inevitable top 10 picks to draft at least one high end key back, key forward and at least 2 high end inside mids and perhaps a really good winger. These players hopefully join the likes of Graham, Balta, Bolton, Short, Baker, and the best of our current youngsters to form the basis of our next premiership team. Where we miss at the draft for whatever reason, then and only then you get the shopping trolley out and look at expensive trades or free agents.

We have a fantastic draft hand this year to kickstart this process. All we need to do now is not make the schoolboy error of winning the flag agin.

Stopped reading at ‘trade out vlastuin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back