Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reacon if John Clarke was still alive.. Clarke and Dawe could’ve come up with a brilliant satirical skit on the Adelaide football club’s Sub debacle on the weekend..

have Clarke as Nicksy and Dawe as Rucci asking him just what, how and why it all went wrong..

geez they were good ol Clarke and Dawe..

“the front fell off” was just one of many of my favourites of there’s..

Im not sure what is more disappointing, the * up on the day or the spin from the club afterwards?

I was hoping with Fages and Chappy gone, the spin machine would also be gone

Nicks, your better than that..... own the mistake, cop it that qe should have done better and then we are able to move on quickly with some respect that we have put our hand up and owned the * up

Lets be a no spin football club p

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not sure what is more disappointing, the fu** up on the day or the spin from the club afterwards?

I was hoping with Fages and Chappy gone, the spin machine would also be gone

Nicks, your better than that..... own the mistake, cop it that qe should have done better and then we are able to move on quickly with some respect that we have put our hand up and owned the fu** up

Lets be a no spin football club p

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The spin after is worse.

Anyone can and does make mistakes. I actually wouldnt have cared at all, if the Club put up their hand and said sorry we got this wrong.

Nope, double down and be stubborn. Its like one or two posters on here, once they formulate an opinion, they refuse to waiver on it.

I try to be open minded and I welcome differing opinions if argued correctly and respectfully.

Nicks had too much arrogance for his f**k up.

The spin after is worse.

Anyone can and does make mistakes. I actually wouldnt have cared at all, if the Club put up their hand and said sorry we got this wrong.

Nope, double down and be stubborn. Its like one or two posters on here, once they formulate an opinion, they refuse to waiver on it.

I try to be open minded and I welcome differing opinions if argued correctly and respectfully.

Nicks had too much arrogance for his f**k up.
First rule in the indoctrination process at afc is never admit fault, never apologise. Apparently they use the same manual used by all political parties. It's working well for them. They are clearing space down there for all the premiership cups.
Resized_tenor_gif1377113492663214884_69434495559759.gif

Still dont think there is much to this and this thread would be a fraction of the size had we won. Blown out the water by "supporters" of this club who week in week out search and sift and poke around to find something to complain about, and if nothing is found to complain about then the supporters of this club drag up things from the past and whine about them, or start to speculate young stars are leaving.

Like Tex said, takes 4 seconds to put a guernsey on. Visually looks bad, fact remains its 4 seconds. He couldnt be strapped before the injection. Hamil needed to be assessed first. Burgoyne took like 20-30 mins to be subbed out but no one is mentioning this. And yes Lynch is carrying an injury. So is 25% or more of the AFL. Lynch is terribly out of form and I think age is catching up.

Still dont think there is much to this and this thread would be a fraction of the size had we won. Blown out the water by "supporters" of this club who week in week out search and sift and poke around to find something to complain about, and if nothing is found to complain about then the supporters of this club drag up things from the past and whine about them, or start to speculate young stars are leaving.

Like Tex said, takes 4 seconds to put a guernsey on. Visually looks bad, fact remains its 4 seconds. He couldnt be strapped before the injection. Hamil needed to be assessed first. Burgoyne took like 20-30 mins to be subbed out but no one is mentioning this. And yes Lynch is carrying an injury. So is 25% or more of the AFL. Lynch is terribly out of form and I think age is catching up.

Some truth to what you are saying but I think while it wasn't a good look it is also about standards.

I was at the Port v Essendon game near the bench and Rockliff would of run past ten times each quarter keeping warm and was kicking and handballing in the breaks.

Only a small thing but it just adds to the professionalism and intensity of the group in my opinion. As it turned out he never got on the ground and did laps post game but I liked the enthusiasm.

A treatment because he’s ******* injured, if he wasn’t injured he doesn’t need treatment.
Something doesn’t have to be broken to be injured, it’s just a worse injury if it is.
It’s not a hard concept, as everyone's seems to get it but you.
And what don't you guys get? Players play with "treatment" all the time and was what Ricciuto was trying to tell you guys, Sandiland did with his a sore toe until this development to a tuff toe injury and was rule out of the season due to this injury.

You clearly havent been paying attention to Lynch's form lately and Roo is not an impartial source of information.

Again not paying attention. Lynch looked gassed after about 5 minutes on the ground and barely contributed anything.
Agree, he should have been dropped after the North game based on his poor form for weeks and Ricciuto was making a point that players play with "treatment" all the time which is known and correct statement. Well, he ran very hard both defensively and offensively as indicated by the Telstra heat map so what do you expect?? He didn't contribute anything because he is in sh*t form.

doesn't need training? That is the stupidest thing I've heard on this board in a while.

You don't keep up elite levels of endurance by not training them.

If you stop exercising as much then you lose fitness, simple as that.
The club would have monitor how much he covered the ground and at what pace on game day so they would have a better understanding if his fitness level has dropped based on not being able to train.

Some truth to what you are saying but I think while it wasn't a good look it is also about standards.

I was at the Port v Essendon game near the bench and Rockliff would of run past ten times each quarter keeping warm and was kicking and handballing in the breaks.

Only a small thing but it just adds to the professionalism and intensity of the group in my opinion. As it turned out he never got on the ground and did laps post game but I liked the enthusiasm.
The problem with Lynch seems to be that he couldn’t put his boots on or run and kick like Rockliff
He is injured and needed a jab first

The problem with Lynch seems to be that he couldn’t put his boots on or run and kick like Rockliff
He is injured and needed a jab first
Firstly Congratulations on being made Mod.:thumbsu:

Can I be placed as a Medical Sub for a Mod should any Mod be unfit for duty?

Dont worry, its not like any Mod will ever be unfit, I only need a few months to warm up to be ready to take on the role so I doubt the board will need to moderated during that time.:drunk:

He couldn't even join his team mates warming up last week & hasn't trained properly for over 3 weeks... but yeah, he's not really injured.... lol.

Do you think we are stupid.... you could get a job as the media manager for AFC... or are you already?
I can see why they picked Lynch over a kid. Took a punt he wont play and lost.

Doedee on AA this morning suggested the kids need game time. Guys like Jones, Worrell, Murray etc. If they get named sub and no injury, no match time. Hampers their development.

I agree. No kid should be a sub. SANFL making it so they can't play there means a risk of no game that weekend.

Sounds like Lynch can play once jabbed up. No real issue with this, other than maybe Mackay should have been sub?

Where we erred was in not "presenting" Lynch as ready to play. If he had his kit and strapping on this would not have been picked up.

It is just dumb.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I can see why they picked Lynch over a kid. Took a punt he wont play and lost.

Doedee on AA this morning suggested the kids need game time. Guys like Jones, Worrell, Murray etc. If they get named sub and no injury, no match time. Hampers their development.

I agree. No kid should be a sub. SANFL making it so they can't play there means a risk of no game that weekend.

Sounds like Lynch can play once jabbed up. No real issue with this, other than maybe Mackay should have been sub?

Where we erred was in not "presenting" Lynch as ready to play. If he had his kit and strapping on this would not have been picked up.

It is just dumb.

Seriously if Mackay is dictating that he shouldnt be the medical sub, then we have bigger problems at West Lakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club would have monitor how much he covered the ground and at what pace on game day so they would have a better understanding if his fitness level has dropped based on not being able to train.

The same club that was ok with him hobbling around uselessly for less than a quarter of football?

Yeah you're right, we can clearly trust those geniuses.

Seriously if Mackay is dictating that he shouldnt be the medical sub, then we have bigger problems at West Lakes.

If he is dictating that he shouldn't be the medical sub we should select him as it anyway. If he refuses he has breached his contractual obligations and we can tear up his contract and tell him to clear out his locker.

Maybe. It maybe would have been a fraction of this size even if we lost, but we didn't balls up the Crouch compo situation, or we didn't do that camp, or Roo hadn't offered all that surly commentary on all the players who left on MMM last year, or any of the other tone-deaf, insular utensil-ups the club has churned out on the reg over the journey.

The fact is that these mistakes aren't made in isolation at the AFC and people are frustrated at the repetition when it comes to the lack of professional standards on display.

Steve Smith scuffing the crease while he shadow bats during the opposition innings isn't a huge deal in isolation, but in the context of his past indiscretions, he's surely got no excuse for being surprised that it attracted some attention.

The AFC continues to be surprised, surly, and defensive when these things happen and that just makes things worse. Losing by such a close margin has definitely exacerbated the frustration on this one though, but it's not the sole reason it's attracted attention.

Ultimately.. as much as some would love mookay to be the sub each and every week its just not possible.. he still needs game time to stay “match fit”.. he could go 6 rounds without playing a game if he was sub each week then all of a sudden we get an injury in the first quarter and he’d need to play an almost entire game without playing one in 7 weeks..

be a terrible outcome..

the sub should be shared amongst the young players that arent injured and have already debuted.. davis, Jones, berry etc.. and throw mookay in it every few games..

just never ever pick mookay in the AFL 22 ever, ever again please.. its a total waste of a game that should go to a young player..

Ultimately.. as much as some would love mookay to be the sub each and every week its just not possible.. he still needs game time to stay “match fit”.. he could go 6 rounds without playing a game if he was sub each week then all of a sudden we get an injury in the first quarter and he’d need to play an almost entire game without playing one in 7 weeks..

be a terrible outcome..

the sub should be shared amongst the young players that arent injured and have already debuted.. davis, Jones, berry etc.. and throw mookay in it every few games..

just never ever pick mookay in the AFL 22 ever, ever again please.. its a total waste of a game that should go to a young player..
This is correct David needs match fitness too as does every other “sub”
I’m still not comfortable with the medical sub vested or otherwise
I’d much prefer an extended bench seems to make the most sense to me

I doubt that is the case.

But I reckon Lynch and Mackay should alternate each week as sub.

It is the optics and small margin.

In my opinion the SANFL rule has minimal impact but certainly had nothing to do with the weekend as the reserves played on the Saturday.

I think it's an overblown as the amount of time the reserves team plays after the AFL team and the sub isn't activated will be minimal. It also wouldn't work if the AFL team is interstate playing on the same day as the reserves. We are probably talking a handful of games each season which in the big scheme of things isn't going to effect a players development. That's just Port having a whinge.

Am I the only person that finds all this amusing?

It was in the best long term interest of the AFC to lose to the Hawks. My heart wanted Keays to kick that goal but my head said, “Quality Tanking Ben”.

My concern wasn’t naming Lynchy as the medisub, it wasn’t the optics of him sitting on the bench reading the racing guide, it wasn’t him casually searching for his socks, it wasn’t him barely touching the ball when activated. My only concern was the possibility of losing our draft pick.

Surely the smart move would have been to make Chase the medisub (after playing in the Twos). He looks fantastic in the warm-ups, he would be eager to get into the action and there would be little chance of him screwing our draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back