Preview Round 7, 2021 - Lions v Port Saturday May 1st The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cockatoo has a way to go yet. Still building confidence in his body. You can see he is not exploding out of the blocks when he takes off. Thinking he may be under instructions. Looked better in the centre than across half back.
With his injury history no need to rush him into any side really
As you say he is probably under instructions.
Also report any issues rather than play/train on with the problem trying to make the seniors
It's a long season, when he is ready he will get his chance

I think they need to step up in Andrews' absence of any form.
I agree with this....

A lot of people still seem to think Andrews is having a decent season.

In reality he’s been pretty awful.

Not paying any respect to his direct opponent is hurting the team at the moment.

Argues with the umpires way to much and for some reason always has something to say to opposition players when they miss a goal.

Just needs to concentrate on doing his job like the previous few years.

What a perfect time for Robertson to step up. Was one of our best 3 players in the first half last week. Also think McCluggage has gone up a level last fortnight and this will help cover.

Agreed, if Mathieson is not in our long term plans, then I'm firmly in the corner of giving Deven that extended run in the middle. He'll become that bigger body mid very quickly if given the opportunity.

Its a shame Ely is injured or else he could've got a few games on the wing while Robinson recovers. Not sure who'll grab that one now.

Robertson was recruited as an Inside Mid so time to give the lad a run in his preferred role.He can find the ball and won't be overawed by the bigger Port miss. Matho has to come in as well after his excellent ressies form then add J. Berry and i think we can go somewhere near replacing the loss of Lachie.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cockatoo has a way to go yet. Still building confidence in his body. You can see he is not exploding out of the blocks when he takes off. Thinking he may be under instructions. Looked better in the centre than across half back.

Yep, get the feeling they told him a solid 6 weeks of work building up over that time. So don’t go crazy at the outset, slow and steady build up and let’s get some conditioning into the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Interesting to see who gets the tag treatment with Neale out? Zorks, Lyons or Macca?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great oppo for Matho. He was here during our darkest days, would love to see him have a career resurgence.

If he fails to deliver, he knows he won't be getting that contract extension. Good incentive to have a break out 2 months.

Channel 7 News in Brisbane ran the story in sports last night "Brisbane to unleash the beast" obviously featuring Matho. Neale's wife posted on Instagram a photo of Lacie in his hospital bed with plaster up to the knee. Matho has had 2 outstanding games now in the VFL, no one else has been dominate in the mid field yet in VFL. If Matho isn't in this week he clearly wont be at the club next year.

What ever his performance is like on Saturday night you would expect Rhys to get at least 2-3 games to impress the coaches, if not one of the younger guys ie. Tom Joyce, Ely Smitch, Dev Robertson will be given a shot at the inside mid role. Lets hope Rhys can have a similar impact to what his best mate did on Anzac day.

Our midfield depth will be tested over the coming weeks with Lachie, Cam(was earmarked for more mid time) and maybe Jarrod being out + Mitch??

What ever his performance is like on Saturday night you would expect Rhys to get at least 2-3 games to impress the coaches, if not one of the younger guys ie. Tom Joyce, Ely Smitch, Dev Robertson will be given a shot at the inside mid role. Lets hope Rhys can have a similar impact to what his best mate did on Anzac day.

Our midfield depth will be tested over the coming weeks with Lachie, Cam(was earmarked for more mid time) and maybe Jarrod being out + Mitch??
Joyce and Ely need to get onto the field first.

mitch robbo wasnt part of our injury update from the med department. He will play. They also said they will be giving Jarrod every opportunity to play this week.

I don't think Port will tag any midfield Lions players.
They will back their midfield to win enough of the ball. Run with roles more likely, same with our guys.

Lets assume Mathieson get a call up.
In the past when he got a chance he probably followed instructions that are team orientated.
He always put in a solid performance but then found his way back to the twos
With his contract ending he needs to show the coaches he can offer more than a solid performance
He needs to find stacks of the footy like he has in the twos. To do this he might have to not quite follow team instructions
If he can find the footy like in the twos and more importantly be damaging he could play for some time in the seniors.
Rhys disposal record is the reverse of what a midfielder coming into the AFL should be.
His average disposal numbers have decreased in each of his years. 18.3, 18.1, 16.2, 15.2 & 14
In summary Ryhs needs to be greedy & damaging then maybe his role will change. Not to mention his job & income is at stake

https://www.lions.com.au/news/922580/-we-re-not-a-lachie-neale-based-midfield-

The Lions were beaten by another flag favourite, the Western Bulldogs, less than three weeks ago, and Zorko says they've learnt from that.

"Port Adelaide play a really controlled brand of football, they're kicking a lot more this year, marking a lot more, whereas the Dogs like to use the handpass and flick it on.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/922580/-we-re-not-a-lachie-neale-based-midfield-

The Lions were beaten by another flag favourite, the Western Bulldogs, less than three weeks ago, and Zorko says they've learnt from that.

"Port Adelaide play a really controlled brand of football, they're kicking a lot more this year, marking a lot more, whereas the Dogs like to use the handpass and flick it on.
So Port are a high possession team averaging pretty high numbers for both kicking and handballs. Averaging around 400 possessions per game and we are at 342.

But we are getting the ball inside 50, 3 more time per game than Port.
So they dilly around with it in the back half a bit more than us, so if we pressure them up in our forward half and force them to kick more might be in our favour.

"When you lose the Brownlow medalist you'd think your team is in a bit of trouble, but I think one thing we've shown is we haven't been reliant on Lachie in the first five rounds," Zorko said.

... huh. The first several rounds where Neale was clearly struggling, we struggled a lot. When Neale played well, all of a sudden we look great again. We are definitly reliant on Neale, and unless a Matho or Berry has an absolute blinder, l reckon we will struggle against Port and richmond in the next week/month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back