No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This current debate about game length = more injuries bewilders me a bit.

Carlton on Saturday combined between the seniors and reserves probably had the highest aggregate of game length in the history of the sport.

Reserves 1st q went for 41 minutes, second quarter went for well over 35 minutes as examples and then in the seniors the second quarter went for 37 minutes and the whole game for a total of 137 minutes.

I note Fagans comments on this issue, what I don’t get is that yes the game as a whole went for a bloody long time however to me the game is still 80 minutes long and in this case there was 57 minutes where the players are not exerting themselves.

Is it really an issue? Is it just another complete overreaction?
I sense quite strongly it’s a massive overreaction and quite simply a sly underhanded way of coaches getting a bit more control back over the game.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This current debate about game length = more injuries bewilders me a bit.

Carlton on Saturday combined between the seniors and reserves probably had the highest aggregate of game length in the history of the sport.

Reserves 1st q went for 41 minutes, second quarter went for well over 35 minutes as examples and then in the seniors the second quarter went for 37 minutes and the whole game for a total of 137 minutes.

I note Fagans comments on this issue, what I don’t get is that yes the game as a whole went for a bloody long time however to me the game is still 80 minutes long and in this case there was 57 minutes where the players are not exerting themselves.

Is it really an issue? Is it just another complete overreaction?
I sense quite strongly it’s a massive overreaction and quite simply a sly underhanded way of coaches getting a bit more control back over the game.

Thoughts?

1. The games are too long.
2. 20 minutes + time on is the right amount.

The games are too long because they blow 50 seconds after each goal, they waste time on score reviews, the umps waste so much time waiting for ruckmen to nominate and make it to the contest. Just ball the ******* ball up.
They could easily shorten the games significantly by the way they adjudicate and waste time, and still get the correct 20 minutes of play per quarter.

I guess I’m just more intrigued by the rhetoric surrounding longer game times equaling more injuries, it’s a furphy.

Players are just getting more time to recover, the actual playing time is 80 minutes.

I could argue quite easily reducing that recovery time could exponentially increase injuries and on the other hand I could argue quite easily reducing that recovery time makes the players more tired and therefore not hitting each other at the velocity they would if fresher.

I haven’t really looked at other clubs injury lists closely but our injury list is not big on hammies/calves/quad strains but more your high velocity impact injuries.

I just feel the coaches have an agenda here to reduce actual playing times to enable them to better setup their defensive side of the game and the meedya are being very lazy once again in providing analytical evidenced based commentary.

when you're hot you're hot...I live in Perth and can't believe the number of Melbourne license plates I've seen over the last few weeks...good on them

I guess I’m just more intrigued by the rhetoric surrounding longer game times equaling more injuries, it’s a furphy.

Players are just getting more time to recover, the actual playing time is 80 minutes.

I could argue quite easily reducing that recovery time could exponentially increase injuries and on the other hand I could argue quite easily reducing that recovery time makes the players more tired and therefore not hitting each other at the velocity they would if fresher.

I haven’t really looked at other clubs injury lists closely but our injury list is not big on hammies/calves/quad strains but more your high velocity impact injuries.

I just feel the coaches have an agenda here to reduce actual playing times to enable them to better setup their defensive side of the game and the meedya are being very lazy once again in providing analytical evidenced based commentary.

I think you're spot on.

Shorter games means more run in the legs means the game can't open up late and zones become easier to do.

Mind, don't think Gil or Hocking will budge from the 20 minute quarters. They think they're onto a good thing this year, and they don't move when their ideas are bad.

I think you're spot on.

Shorter games means more run in the legs means the game can't open up late and zones become easier to do.

Mind, don't think Gil or Hocking will budge from the 20 minute quarters. They think they're onto a good thing this year, and they don't move when their ideas are bad.

Can't change it now as it would be integrity issue with teams that have already got to play 20 min quarters against Norf might end up with a higher percentage than those that played 18 mins against them later in the season.

I think it may mean that if they want to reduce interchanges further next year that it's balanced with a reduction in game time as well.

Can't change it now as it would be integrity issue with teams that have already got to play 20 min quarters against Norf might end up with a higher percentage than those that played 18 mins against them later in the season.

I think it may mean that if they want to reduce interchanges further next year that it's balanced with a reduction in game time as well.
Genuinely would not put it past the AFL. Wasn't all that long ago - 2017-18, IIRC - when Gill mooted the idea that they should test rule changes in games between bottom 4 sides in home and away. Only thing that put the kibosh on that was betting agencies kicked up a fuss.

The integrity of the competition doesn't mean all that much to Gill.

Banging on at Kane that, Kane doesn't speak on behalf of the Collingwood supporters..
Eddie neither do you anymore, you got the sack, you moron..

Get this fool off the show, all he does is yell at people about Collingwood..

Get the feeling Collingwood are on the decline off field as well :winkv1:
They and are becoming irrelevant again like in the 80-90's

I rarely agree with Kornes about anything, but I agree with him 100 % about Port's Prison Bars and Collingwood reneging on their deal to let them wear it during heritage round/the showdown.

And worst of all is the AFL's threat to dock them of 4 premiership if Port wears it against the Crows.

Gil needs to go as CEO ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banging on at Kane that, Kane doesn't speak on behalf of the Collingwood supporters..
Eddie neither do you anymore, you got the sack, you moron..

Get this fool off the show, all he does is yell at people about Collingwood..

Get the feeling Collingwood are on the decline off field as well :winkv1:
They and are becoming irrelevant again like in the 80-90's

Eddie is arguing that port can't wear the black and white stripes because when they joined the comp they went teal? They went teal because they were told they couldn't do the black and white.... Is there a serious lack of intelligence in this whole debate or am I missing something

I rarely agree with Kornes about anything, but I agree with him 100 % about Port's Prison Bars and Collingwood reneging on their deal to let them wear it during heritage round/the showdown.

And worst of all is the AFL's threat to dock them of 4 premiership if Port wears it against the Crows.

Gil needs to go as CEO ASAP.

Eddie is arguing that port can't wear the black and white stripes because when they joined the comp they went teal? They went teal because they were told they couldn't do the black and white.... Is there a serious lack of intelligence in this whole debate or am I missing something

Think Kane beat Eddie in the argument on tv.

But my vote is still with Collingwood, foundation club, wore the same jumper since 1897..

It's all pretty simple in my eyes, if Port want the prison bars id go fine,
they need to be (black and teal) home games and (white an teal) away games, which they wouldn't accept..

Just looks like Collingwood are on their knees (on and off field) and Port are trying to take advantage.. 🦈

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back