The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they considered him too good for young player of the year because of that. Strange logic though.

Well no, because he finished 3rd behind Saka and Mount in the young player award, but finished 3rd in the overall player of the season award behind Kane and Son.

Sounds like they got old pissed Colin Warnock to do the voting or something.

Le Tissier definitley deserves a spot there someday.

Absolute gun and probably too loyal for Southampton for his own good (with regards to caps for England etc)

Also used to date our Marilyn from Home and Away

From a Leeds POV, Lucas Radebe is very stiff to miss out on a nomination. Best and most favourite player I have seen in my life time watching Leeds along with Gary Speed (although if he sticks around Raphinha could be up there)

The Chief was a wonderful leader and defender for Leeds, and oh so consistent.

Whisky Face (Fergie) was a big fan and tried to get him to Man Utd a couple of times, but Chief stayed loyal.

Radebe is one of those very rare players that play for your club that you would honestly take a bullet for (I rate loyalty very highly)

images

It's not just you, I'm just questioning why a person wanting to make money wouldn't look to buy an entity that makes money, rightly or wrongly.
I wouldn't have thought that buying something for £3b to make £70m/year would be a sound business decision if the purpose was to make money.

There's a reason that "What's the best way to make a small fortune? Start with a large one and buy a sports team" is a saying

Yeah, and most fans would argue they are doing it wrong.

I'd have thought that ideally sports team profits should be re-invested back into it where possible, but maybe that's just me

What profits?

I think Tottenham is one of the few teams to have recorded a genuine profit in the last 15 years from the top half sides.

Almost all of the "profits" recorded since have all be proven to be artificially manipulated.

The top 6 sides are barely solvent without private cash injections. The only one that can really stand on it's own feet is Man Utd.

The top clubs in Europe are absolutely broke, the only ones with their heads above water are the top English clubs because of the PL broadcast deals and some Billionaire owner cash injections. Even despite the broadcast revenue, some those are starting to get reeled in by their debt levels and spending, i.e Liverpool and Spurs inability to spend in recent years.

Spurs built their stadium to try and boost revenue to get them out of their rut. It's backfired spectacularly because of Covid. They could win the next 10 straight CL titles and still not make a dent in the £1.16b debt.

There will be 100% another mid 00's Leeds Utd occurrence from one of the big 6 in the next decade.

Last edited:
Any of you guys voted on the Premier League Hall of Fame?

Shearer and Henry already in and now they have opened it up to a 23 man shortlist for the fans to vote with 6 of the 23 with the highest votes going in.

Amazingly, Ryan Giggs was not on the short list. I think being a woman beater has left him off the list which is fantastic.

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright

For the record my 6 votes went to Gerrard, Fowler, Owen (obvs) and then Le Tissier, Bergkamp and Ian Wright.
Stupid concept and even more stupid in letting fans decide.

I wouldn't have thought that buying something for £3b to make £70m/year would be a sound business decision if the purpose was to make money.

There's a reason that "What's the best way to make a small fortune? Start with a large one and buy a sports team" is a saying

There's generally a few reasons people buy football clubs, not just to make money, but the notion that he'd be losing money buying Arsenal is not really accurate.

I'm aware of that saying, but in the last decade I wouldn't really say it's applicable to PL clubs in the upper echelons.

Any of you guys voted on the Premier League Hall of Fame?

Shearer and Henry already in and now they have opened it up to a 23 man shortlist for the fans to vote with 6 of the 23 with the highest votes going in.

Amazingly, Ryan Giggs was not on the short list. I think being a woman beater has left him off the list which is fantastic.

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright

For the record my 6 votes went to Gerrard, Fowler, Owen (obvs) and then Le Tissier, Bergkamp and Ian Wright.

Ies Ferdinand and Ashley Cole on that list is a *****Ing joke. Probably that drunk Tony Adams too.

There's generally a few reasons people buy football clubs, not just to make money, but the notion that he'd be losing money buying Arsenal is not really accurate.

I'm aware of that saying, but in the last decade I wouldn't really say it's applicable to PL clubs in the upper echelons.
I never said he'd be losing money

I never said he'd be losing money

:think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The process of buying the team costs money ;)

Sure, the value of it might go up, but until you sell it that value is near on unusable (unless you're stupid enough to be AC Milan's previous owner, I guess)

Just as the purchase of any business costs money. You're also tapping into the revenue streams of said business and its profits.

Ies Ferdinand and Ashley Cole on that list is a *****Ing joke. Probably that drunk Tony Adams too.
Cole was an amazing player who played close to 400 EPL games across 14 seasons, won the league three times, was in team of the year four times, and was voted in the best team after 20 years of prem by both fans and judges.

I think he's worthy mate.

Pot calling the kettle black there. Poor form.

Le Tissier definitley deserves a spot there someday.

Absolute gun and probably too loyal for Southampton for his own good (with regards to caps for England etc)

Also used to date our Marilyn from Home and Away

From a Leeds POV, Lucas Radebe is very stiff to miss out on a nomination. Best and most favourite player I have seen in my life time watching Leeds along with Gary Speed (although if he sticks around Raphinha could be up there)

The Chief was a wonderful leader and defender for Leeds, and oh so consistent.

Whisky Face (Fergie) was a big fan and tried to get him to Man Utd a couple of times, but Chief stayed loyal.

Radebe is one of those very rare players that play for your club that you would honestly take a bullet for (I rate loyalty very highly)

images
200 games and no honours is hardly a hof career

Also Player of the Year awards were bizarre.

Kane and Son finished 1 and 2 right? Spurs could finish 6th-8th?

Not one City player was even nominated were they? Or United players? So no players from the teams finishing 1st and 2nd. So bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back